Search results

1. jrr

How far west of Long Point does one need to go?

Seeing a window of opportunity in the wind forecast for Thursday I am considering taking my dad and his seriously ill long time friend (who taught me to fish as a kid) out of Port Dover (where my boat is). But. I can manage to work to get 3-4 fish on inside of the point over a few hours, I would...
  2. jrr

Minnow thread. Anything near Port Dover?

The boat is in the water. But with it in Port Dover and me driving from just west of Kitchener, minnows are always a bit of an ordeal. Who has them around the bay and is there anyone in Port Dover with minnows? Many years ago Dovercraft had them but I don't know if that is the case anymore.
  3. jrr

How many hits does a Redfin take?

Curious how many fish a ripplin Redfin can typically take? This is 4 eyes and a rainbow. Teeth marks I get but the paint chunk is annoying. I have Rapalas with teeth marks all over them, live targets do ok too… but this seems to be loosing its paint quicker than others. It has its own safe...
  4. jrr

Fishing Report Nanticoke Aug 15th

Only trolled with the waves from 90FOW to 60FOW a few times and picked up a couple small walleye with one pretty big walleye. They all came off the bottom — I think — marked some suspended fish but temp on the bottom and the marks on the bottom seemed to be where they were. A copper/black redfin...
  5. jrr

Wind forecast for mid-August

Is this a real forecast? Should be some good fishing days ahead.
  6. jrr

Fishing Report Port Dover marina Aug 11th - windy day

Only sunfish in the marina. Would not even try to go out and play in those waves today because docking by myself in this wind would be an adventure. Temp is 77F at the dock. Loads of blue gills. Wish this wind would give us a break!
  7. jrr

Lighthouse Aug 4th - evening fish

Spent the evening with the kids on the beach on the west side of the light house. They let me put some lines in the water at around 7pm. We heeded straight to the group of boats that were fishing at around 100 FOW — west side though. The screen is full of stuff from top to bottom. I managed 2...
  8. jrr

Fishing Report Stuff is out near Nanticoke but… not the stuff I want to catch

The third kid and I camped out on the boat last night and since I can’t sleep on the boat we went out before the wind came up this morning. The sun and the moon matched. Lots to look at on the screen. But not a lot once you go past 60 FOW. But just a load of silver bass and this big ugly...
  9. jrr

Berkeley Lightening rod - do not buy - and the water is 70F at the Elbow

I did get out in what turned into a bumpy day yesterday… actually picked up a couple perch on worm harnesses and lost a few decent size somethings that left a scale on the hook. But perch? The point is I picked up couple Berkeley Lightening rods from Grimsby tackle this spring on their...
  10. jrr

Off Topic Friday is a go! If this is true.

Bit shocked to see this… making a mid-morning run to the lighthouse. Go see what is out there.
  11. jrr

Has anyone gone to the deep water for Chinook on Erie?

There are Chinook on the list of fish on Erie and I have caught a lot of Coho in the past… but I was wondering if anyone regularly or once in a while goes off long point into the deepest water to target salmon?
  12. jrr

At the lighthouse on Long Point

There are two nets off the light house on Long point in around 60-70 FOW and the surface temp is high 60s… temp 30ft down is low 60s. Marked a lot of bait and stuff but the kids wanted to swim so that is what we did instead. Have to think those nets aren’t for rainbow ;) Planning on heading...
  13. jrr

Fishing Report Nanticoke June 30th

Went out in the rain this morning and it was a little more than a pickerel chop out there. Decided to go looking for warmer water and I found it just east of Nanticoke. Fished 40-70 FOW with worm harnesses, 2 oz weights, and inline planers. Got a couple on but only 1 in the boat. A nice size...
  14. jrr

Fishing Report The no fish report at the Elbow

Took another shake down run out at the Elbow yesterday. Started just west of the shoal and looked at 50-70 FOW. Surface temp is a refreshing 60-65F and 40 FT down it is 58F. Marked lots of little stuff but started seeing what I assume is balls of smelt closer to the point in 60-70FOW. Marked...
  15. jrr

Fishing Report An actual fishing report - June 24/25

The new boat is in its new home and thing 3 couldn’t wait to try it out. So we took it out from Port Dover Marina to the shoal and put some body baits down while trying not in inhale the flies on Thursday afternoon — no wind at all. Marked a lot of bait fish. Surface temp was 60F and the fish...
  16. jrr

Off Topic Port Dover marina is going to open

They sent out an email today.
  17. jrr

Off Topic Lake O water levels are not good

I do think this is a problem with all the lobbying to 'do something' that ignored the fact that stuff might change naturally. They kept the gates open and now the levels are historically low on Lake 0...
  18. jrr

Off Topic Piscifun reels

Curious if anyone has been using the Piscifun reels -- I already bought 2 of the carbon X for my Ugly Stik perch/pike/whatever rods so I will find out how they are. Out of the box they are very good. I had poked around a few fishing stores and not much felt like this at the price. The name is...
  19. jrr

Off Topic Water levels backing off the record highs

Water level is dropping: https://www.mlive.com/weather/2021/03/all-great-lakes-going-down-quickly-distancing-from-last-years-record-water-levels.html?utm_campaign=mlivenews_sf&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social We needed a mild winter to drop the water levels and the cycle says we were due...
  20. jrr

Dunnville next week?

With the warm up in the forecast I was thinking about giving Dunnville area a try for eager walleye that might be in the melt. But. I haven't tried that before. Curious if that is a good idea or not? Youtube has some funny videos of March fishing. One guy casting jigs but no fish. I know the ice...
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks