Lighthouse Aug 4th - evening fish

jrr

Spent the evening with the kids on the beach on the west side of the light house. They let me put some lines in the water at around 7pm. We heeded straight to the group of boats that were fishing at around 100 FOW — west side though. The screen is full of stuff from top to bottom. I managed 2 knock offs and 2 walleye in about 90 min of fishing. One was small and tossed it back then the next one was a good eater.

I played around with the fishhawk a little to see what might be stacked at what depth. Near 80 ft the temp is 50F and there are bait clouds at 50-60F with a lot underneath. On top of them I marked the odd fish. Fish hawk told me the temp warmed up just above the bait clouds to 65F and I left my worm harnesses at 40FT. The small one came with a 3oz weight and worm harness on a planer, the bigger one on the rigger/purple harness, at 40FT.

Did notice the current on the west side is wild compared to the east side. Almost standing still and facing SE my fish hawk said it was going nearly 3mph down around 80FT, up higher matched more to the boat speed. I was still going fast considering I had big blade harnesses on.

I will update this post with pics when they load on my ipad because it was gorgeous out there tonight.

Spent the evening with the kids on the beach on the west side of the light house. They let me put some lines in the water at around 7pm. We heeded straight to the group of boats that were fishing at around 100 FOW — west side though. The screen is full of stuff from top to bottom. I managed 2 knock offs and 2 walleye in about 90 min of fishing. One was small and tossed it back then the next one was a good eater.

I played around with the fishhawk a little to see what might be stacked at what depth. Near 80 ft the temp is 50F and there are bait clouds at 50-60F with a lot underneath. On top of them I marked the odd fish. Fish hawk told me the temp warmed up just above the bait clouds to 65F and I left my worm harnesses at 40FT. The small one came with a 3oz weight and worm harness on a planer, the bigger one on the rigger/purple harness, at 40FT.

Did notice the current on the west side is wild compared to the east side. Almost standing still and facing SE my fish hawk said it was going nearly 3mph down around 80FT, up higher matched more to the boat speed. I was still going fast considering I had big blade harnesses on.

I will update this post with pics when they load on my ipad because it was gorgeous out there tonight.
Thanks for the report jrr, seems like it's just to much bait to compete with out there!

Thanks for the report jrr, seems like it's just to much bait to compete with out there!
I picked up a few more the next day around the point. I did find a net in just 20-60 FOW that is past where everyone anchors on the west side of the point. Just near it, this is what I saw on my live scope. That bunch at the bottom you can see moving around. Given the net, I have to think that is perch.

IMG_2373.JPG

I can't edit the post now but these are the pics (not of fish) of the amazing water... and the minnows in just 4 FOW... which I had a net with me and I could have went perch fishing!

Off the tip at the lighthouse at sun set.

89AFEF53-4CD4-4EA9-B983-1B4A024F47C2.JPG

Bait!

IMG_2276.JPG

Out of Port Dover the next day.

IMG_2368.JPG

Wednesday was so calm out there... heading towards Dover.

FCEDF6C8-E137-476E-86D0-6DF9C8914434.JPG

Fished well west of the pack yesterday on the south side . Inside the trawlers with the NE flow was money . Lots of current and lots of eyes of all sizes .

Reactions: jrr
Fished well west of the pack yesterday on the south side . Inside the trawlers with the NE flow was money . Lots of current and lots of eyes of all sizes .
The current is wild -- seems to be the trick. Finding the right 'type' of current and at around 40 ft down -- 3oz weight, 100ft out, etc. Worm harnesses were working.

went for a cruise out to the point last evening to see the sights & what the graph was going to show.. she is loaded with signs of life out there!. Only been out there once before(south of the tip).
Took me 35mins @30mph to get there from Hoover's. We went 4-5mile west on the South of the point. Passed the nets you mentioned( Perch was my first guess) we picked up 4 where we started then nothing the rest of the way back to the tip which took at least 2hrs. 3small(14inchers) and one keeper at 23" and a couple hits.

Reactions: jrr
Further west was best for us . Deep wire diver and riggers with spoons were good

Last edited:
Further west was best for us . Deep wire diver and riggers with spoons were good
Seen a few boats further west. a couple mile more to the west would have did better for us I think. Hit 4 the 1st 20mins then nothing further east we went. I have to say it is different over there. Can Go from 40ft to 100 in 2 shakes of a walleyes tail. We picked 3 small in 50s and 1 big at 75ft.
I'm going to have to explore over there again.

There was a surprisingly big group of boats further west. That is about 35 miles from Burwell so I have to think they all from the East side.

I just wish I had minnows. The kids would have loved to get into those perch!

I would go over there again on a calm day but I am hoping that we don’t need to run that far soon. Seems like they are making they way around the point.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks