Off Topic What is your ideal boat for Lake Erie?

I currently own a Lund 1750 my next boat after I win the Lotto Max would be a Kingfisher 2025 escape probably hardtop with curtain don't want a door.Or a Hewescraft Oceanpro or a Duckworth or maybe a Striper.

My next boat will be high at the back so I only see the top of the big motor with a kicker wired in at the helm.

I fished 23 seasons all over US and Canada with my 1998 Crestliner Sportfish 1850/115hp Evinrude Intruder and it gave me great service. ZERO complaints or regrets. Boat was a tank. Finally sold her in mint shape and bought a new Tidewater 232cc with a 250 Yamaha. So I’ve had em big and small. Or at least small and midsize? My observations as I adjust to a much bigger boat....it’s a learning curve around the docks for sure. Out fishing there is no comparison due to deeper hull, more than double the hp and all that space. The bigger boat hasn’t changed my behavior. Rough is rough and I don’t intend to play games with the Great Lakes regardless of hull length. Much more enjoyable when Burwell got rough last Sunday for sure though and a much drier ride back to otter creek. All that said a deep v aluminum would be a great way to start, unless you are loaded in which case all those newbie related whiskey blisters you put on a dauntless or GW won’t be an issue for your wallet.

I knew I wanted to upgrade. When I priced out the longest Crestliner against the Tidewater, Blackfin and Scouts I was interested in, the fiberglass ccs were just a better value For the dollar.

Nobody has said this so I will - it’s the dealer that makes all the difference. Whatever you choose make sure the brand has a local dealer you can form a relationship with for hull and engine work. You WILL have some warranty issues and crap just breaks. How that is handled makes all the difference.

I see many different types of boats out fishing in Lake Erie and I was curious as to what the ideal setup is? If you had the money what would you buy brand new to go fishing on Lake Erie?
Something that is aluminum and “trailer-able”. 24 foot king fisher. Lake Erie “ain’t all that” but for a short time in space. St.Clair, Lake Huron, Georgian bay, Lake Ontario needs to be in reach for me and a 24 aluminum would be an easy haul and all year fishin…

I see many different types of boats out fishing in Lake Erie and I was curious as to what the ideal setup is? If you had the money what would you buy brand new to go fishing on Lake Erie?
Love my 22 Ocean Pro from Hewescraft, I can cruise at 34 mph with the Yamaha 150 handles more than you would want to be out in and very economical to run.

Attachments

• 729656F7-E838-4E97-A3D3-1B66E1B3EE79.jpeg
    729656F7-E838-4E97-A3D3-1B66E1B3EE79.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 2877B10D-BCE6-4B08-8459-E92A9F6CC42E.jpeg
    2877B10D-BCE6-4B08-8459-E92A9F6CC42E.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 292EFFC6-A1E0-4AEB-BA58-8D801B16C249.jpeg
    292EFFC6-A1E0-4AEB-BA58-8D801B16C249.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 61
The only answer to your question is how big is your wallet?
The next questions is how much money do you have available per week to use the boat.

I had an alumacraft voyager175 with 115, before that I had legend 195with 150. Traded it in for a key West 203fs with 150. It is an awesome boat for Erie, but I still don't care to fish in the waves, but it handles the waves when it does blow up. I purchased it from proctors in Simcoe and their service is awesome. Been using them for 20 years or so.

A lot of the boats mentioned will be cheap in years to come when they force all watercraft to be powered by Elect motors.
It's going that way with cars and trucks. I'd stick with a outboard boat not to big, more versatile for travel small lakes. I had a 22' at one time now I'm down to a 16' side console, at my age easier to handle and I can get it into my garage where its locked up so these frigin snakes that crawl at night to steal your sh!t. Also if your a all year fisher an outboard is the way to go fishing winter months. Pick and chose your days for safety reason. If you just like to fish you don't need big and fast, slow and easy wins the race. Watch the weather and come back home your family and friends may want to see you tomorrow. (y)
But remember if your into fishing the boat is just the starter, the next expense is the toys, fishing equipment you want to put into it. (y) :D:D

Last edited:
Some folks upgrade their sonar every year to the latest & greatest on the market, very expensive, my buddy just installed the latest hummingbird unit , it was like $8K , just crazy

I was happy with the money I sold my 16' Legend with an upgrade in mind. Big regrets now, there's not much on the market. But I keep dreaming for a 19' to 22' with 115+hp. easy to tow from Kitchener to any Great Lakes (same distance roughly).

Yeah, I know. Already seen this, no shots for me yet, so no travel south :).

Update, sorry. I thought it's a US boat.
Actually, my boat was a 2011 with a 60hp 4stroke. And I kind of want similar features. My better half would not agree to lower the bar.
Thanks for the heads.

Last edited:
I was happy with the money I sold my 16' Legend with an upgrade in mind. Big regrets now, there's not much on the market. But I keep dreaming for a 19' to 22' with 115+hp. easy to tow from Kitchener to any Great Lakes (same distance roughly).
Marsh's Marine has a decent selection depending on what you're looking for.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks