Custom Ripplin Redfins

Don't forget that purple and red are two of the first colours to disappear underwater;)......the way some colours appear at depth may be suprising to some! This video does a pretty good job of showing what your colour choices may actually lookike at varying depths....

Josh
@Josh Roelofsen , The video you posted would indicate that purple would be the last colour to disappear. As it has the shortest wavelength. Red and everyone favorite "orange" would go first...

UV colours can be seen at much deeper depths. However research seems to indicate walleye can't see UV.... I still favor a lure with UV over one without. Ben

Nice videos on the color change guys . Also another factor is flashing different colors together . I noticed on some of my vids , to my surprise , how a few lures look totally different when flashing . In this setup pic for Mick is a glow spoon called a cupcake . It flashes just bright yellow and white on the cam . Also a spoon that is half light orange and white on the other , that flashes yellow aswell . And they both catch alot of fish . The oddest one is the greasy chicken . On the cam it looks exactly like a perch to me . And it`s a hott lure for trout . Trout feeding on perch ? Definitely going to recheck that one .
WhenDipsy And Cam Setup.JPG next season starts I`m going to do some vids of certain lures to show the difference between them from above and below the surface .
Here is the camera set up Mick . Use heavy duty hardware connecting everything .
I run it on a dipsy setup . Very simple .

Yup, violet may have the shortest wavelength, but the purple in both videos quickly appears blue. Interestinly it's a more visible blue than the actual blue. Black/orange black/purple have always been productive colours for me. And the new chartruese backed mini streaks were my top spoon last year on Erie :)

Josh

I was in Walmart tonight and came across this RRF and couldn't resist it . Called the Chrt Perch . Last season our boat captain was killing us using anything green . That's what prompt me to buy the first one with green . Hoping for another winner with this one . Has an orange belly .IMG_20200125_184627555.jpg

I got a brand new one and never tried it..still in the pkg

same colour as the wally diver...and that was a killer for port burwell pickeral

hey @SonsOfPerchin can you mention the price for one

@Ticker , saw your pic and thought, Wow, that's a lot of Shoehorns.

shorn.jpg

I think I'll shut up now. :eek::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Producers, White yellow green, yellow edged, bottom left poison ivy, then cupcake, purple blue white with pink black dots, and then eh.

Most all have produced but not like the above listed.

No success on the big ones yet on Erie.

@SonsofFishes ..I totally agree with that quote the greasy chicken is the hot one for trout..
the purple on black white cup NK 28..the original michael jackson..salmon & bow slayer..
the purple black proking right up there for chrome...the kevorkian SS (purple/copper) walleyes last season
It might sound anal...lol but I have been keeping log books filled and annual calenders on almost all of my great lakes fishing trips and the highlights..the who what where & when & including the baits used..since 1985..
I have hundreds of 35 mm fishing photos in photo albums..I have VHS video tapes..video & audio footage of catchin erie salmon & walleyes & a couple opening day bass seasons..all family fishing taken from my mothers camrecorder..ya she would skip sunday church once in awhile to go out salmon fishin out to the lighthouse..lol...salmon was her favourite fish to catch over walleyes..she also caught cohos flatlining cranks baits (fat rap style) hanging on to her own rod on my boat off stanley..she did not like perch...that was good with me..alot less cleaning

Last edited:
Northern King is picking up on some of the Shoehorn lure colourings. Don't know anything about how well they work, or don't. :)

ya I am switching gears this season..had enough of the walleyes... I will be focusing most of my trips targeting chrome...erie bows both june & August... and huron june to labor day for trout/salmon...I am buying a ticket for the erieau derby and the big chantry classic

..I got a handle for pickup of 40 of the blue on silver bronte flutterspoons..the orginals with the rhodium plate...another spoon I will be ordering is the newer Hotfish glo spoons..made by hotfish lures owen sound. they are a classic flutterspoon & I got just the one..I want to build a small collection of the hotfish spoons to run a nice spread..I got a great collection of Lymans ..what I want to do is learn how to troll the meat rigs with a clean roll and off my spin doctors for huron king salmon..I also have the tomic flys that have been a proven method combo..well on some days..

I will be giving just a few of those Brontes to a couple buddys..I might be interested in trading a few...will see..
after all these replies about baits for walleyes..I want to go salmon or trout fishing...bad

Last edited:
@hvyhaul , wow , you like your Cupcakes ! My fav spoon to put on when the bite gets slow and I`ll run it deeper than normal . I hooked my biggest fish ever on it but only got half way to the boat and caught quite a few other big ones , another fav you have there is the Purple Haze . Last season the whole month of June we couldn`t get one hit off the spoons , just body baits . When the schools started showing up in July the spoons kicked in . Watermelon was awesome but eventually noticed best when it was a clear sky and the water rather calm . Found it hard to top a Blueberry Muffin and a Monkey Puke tho .

@SonsofFishes , the top row are 4 inchers, the rest are all 3s. I re-organized my spoons on Sunday so the Shoes were "standing by" as they say.

Spoons are 99% effective on the boat, I am going to keep putting the odd body bait in the water, but they just don't perform like 3 years ago.

Sounds like you're thinking like I do. :unsure: I need to lighten up and have more fun less analysis. :p?

One thing I'd like to sort out is why one rod keeps firing off when another rod(s) are set up supposedly the exact same way. Always makes me scratch my head. Hopefully this year I'll come up with some answer to have more doubles and triples going off. ???

Last edited:
@SonsofFishes , the top row are 4 inchers, the rest are all 3s. I re-organized my spoons on Sunday so the Shoes were "standing by" as they say.

Spoons are 99% effective on the boat, I am going to keep putting the odd body bait in the water, but they just don't perform like 3 years ago.

Sounds like you're thinking like I do. :unsure: I need to lighten up and have more fun less analysis. :p?

One thing I'd like to sort out is why one rod keeps firing off when another rod(s) are set up supposedly the exact same way. Always makes me scratch my head. Hopefully this year I'll come up with some answer to have more doubles and triples going off. ???
I find that too the one side fires more than the other
Maybe the turning inside or outside rod of the turn picks up speed or slows down ?
As long as my side fires more vs the wifes I would be happy but that's not the case ?
For example she came perch fishing with me and she's getting one after another I look over to see what's going on and she's got not even a minnow on just bare hook with the little glass bead I like to use at the eye of the hook .I'm like : wtf? You got no minnows on?
She's like: no not for the last 6 fish
? ???

Harold @Elmerfudd since your best producer was RR on erie..just to mention wonderbread colour is offered in spoons..I seen them before..I looked up your go to and its offered in michigan stinger...

best spoons for me for that worked good on both lakes and on calm water conditions...are flutterspoons..silverfoxs..to bad lure kings famous bronte flutter spoon is long gone..

fellow member @Puddle Jumper has told us he fishes both lakes and speaks highly of the wonderbread colour spoon..
The old NK28s produced for everybody on Lake O where it started and was a great spoon on Lake Huron through the salmon boom..suprising to see the sail store selling 10 colours of the NK 28s..
Moonshine spoons are big on Lake O for years...I have several...there glow is one of the best..
Yes it's true I am very fond of the moonshine wonderbread spoons

Last year I ordered 2 custom glow moonshine ripplin redfins from a fellow 68 member .....i have yet to try them out

Hi Guys I know its the off season just thought if i go to any fishing shows what custom colors did you have luck on last year if you dont mind sharing info.Thanks at 15 bucks a pop kinda like to narrow it down.Plus its winter and Iam bored as heck.Lol

Attachments

• 20190824_184555.jpg
    20190824_184555.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 61
RRFs have always produced but the last 2 years spoons out produce hands down for us anyway. Like @hvyhaul said my RRFs rarely come out of the box anymore. To be perfectly honest we rarely even have to change any of the spoons we start with in order to limit out that's how good the walleye fishing has become.
I had good luck with spoons tipped with worm in the past, but last year it seemed a worm harness was much better. I fish out of Port Maitland

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks