Custom Ripplin Redfins

I have Silver Streak in the Standard and Mini size. I don't have any in the Jr. (smallest) size. Fished almost all Minis this year with excellent success.

I started to collect a few used Jr. size spoons of assorted brands as I watched someone use them with great success early in the season. I guess match the bait size. :)

@Extra Virgin, looks like Confused Ho and Pink Anti Freeze Confusion = same lure.

@Elmerfudd , I dunno what to say, on my boat we throw spoons in the water and fish grab on. Hell sometimes I just throw them in the water without a line attached. DOH! :oops::ROFLMAO:

Some days it takes a few tries to turn them on but the Walleye are pretty reliable. Too slow, you catch garbage, too fast you don't catch the lazy/hesitant fish.

Going on information shared here and from friends, my neighbour and I have started with a plan of "so many feet back on a dipsy set on ???) only to find the fish aren't at that depth and are smacking the lure barely half the distance back during setting up.

Every day is different, but every day on the water is awesome.

Last edited:
Wow, lots to digest here and THANK YOU EVERYONE for weighing in. So several immediate take aways:

1. I am trolling at 2.0 - 2.3 per my Moor sub troll with everything. That is typically about a tenth faster than gps speed shows, depending on east or west direction. So that advice to speed up is awesome as I know from Lake O that certain spoons, like the silver streak just dont have much action at slower trolls. Trolling fast for walleye is so counter-intuitive (is that a word?) to me. Definitely going to play with that this year.

2. I have all the colors...oops colours shown.....but they are all steelhead/salmon size spoons I use in the blue zone at the other lake. Ive bypassed those mini-spoons all these years thinking No way! Too darn small. So i will have to add a few to the mix and experiment.

3. I rarely troll spoons out there and will have to be more flexible. But I have done it occasionally and have definitely seen days where there was a decided preference for spoons over body baits. And some days where they were crazy picky. I had a rare situation in 2017 where I had a weekday off (I work both sides of border) and could find nobody to fish with. So I decided to be a tourist and see what the Burwell side of the point looked like and towed over there. Traded launch help with another solo guy and agreed to split the depths to see where they were and share any pattern we could work out. Both of us had a very slow start, glass calm, flies, etc and I was a bit frustrated as I could only run two rods. Im kind of a red squirrel type and cant sit still LOL. So anyway out of plug color options I put a stinger greasy chicken down in the chrome finish and that was that. I had a limit so fast it was crazy. Nothing else would work. Nothing. So I radioed the other guy and told him what was up. He had only caught one to that point. He didnt have any chickens aboard so we linked up and I gave him that one. I was just breaking down my gear to trailer back to the cottage when he motored in with his limit and actually gave me the spoon back. Too funny. Last year honestly, they ate darn near anything but that custom wonderbread RR was definitely a stand out. So I rarely tow spoons in Erie and Rarely tow body baits other than Lymans on Lake O. Go figure.

Confused ho on the left in mini streak, Cj special on the right in Jr & mini streak sizes.
View attachment 20130View attachment 20131

I think we might just get some safe ice after all to be hitting up the bay of empty ice fishing perch & crappie. Not sure if I love crappie as much as this guy though ??

View attachment 20133View attachment 20132
A great selection of lure’s @Extra Virgin and I do believe that I have some of those lure’s. ;)?That crappie @Extra Virgin should be a little bit bigger this year.The one and only crappie caught and released last year by the @Red Hering on the “bay of empty.” I have been sorting out my ice fishing tackle all morning & here’s hoping for a “hardwater season!!” especially on long point bay!! Tight lines & perch & crappie ON!! ? ? C0B01C10-D1FD-4ECD-BB6C-4F116EC462AF.jpeg ??

hey Harold
theres a few pics from last season catchin 2 on one rod.. slider & rigger..
over all the years thats been my number 1 erie walleye bait...a c shiners ..black n gold size 375
blue n silver too..that has scored plenty of salmon n trout..back to the late 70s for me..

Glasgow summer walleyes 2019 063.jpg erie salmon & misc highlights 1985-89 056.jpg stanley bouy Aug. 1 PM 029.jpg stanley afternoon August 16 005.jpg stanley walleyes Aug 20 018.jpg Nanticoke Walleyes Sept. 6 034.jpg

AC Shiners 375 009.jpg ya I went back to basics running shiners for walleyes off the riggers..they are known as one of the best smelt imitators..on a new 375 shiner I change hooks to a bigger size 4
and to mention the up high walleyes feeding on the abundant tiny shad forage...I experienced that off every port i fished last season

I was planning on taking mini me down to fish the channels today, but the roads look too bad to travel. Now it looks like LPB is just starting to ice over, so we might get a short ice season down there @Red Hering . Bayview harbour marina is the only functional web cam down there right now. Sorry for the thread hijack @Tcat

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200118-123704.png
    Screenshot_20200118-123704.png
    1 MB · Views: 26
hey Harold
theres a few pics from last season catchin 2 on one rod.. slider & rigger..
over all the years thats been my number 1 erie walleye bait...a c shiners ..black n gold size 375
blue n silver too..that has scored plenty of salmon n trout..back to the late 70s for me..

View attachment 20137 View attachment 20138 View attachment 20139 View attachment 20140 View attachment 20142 View attachment 20143

View attachment 20141 ya I went back to basics running shiners for walleyes off the riggers..they are known as one of the best smelt imitators..on a new 375 shiner I change hooks to a bigger size 4
and to mention the up high walleyes feeding on the abundant tiny shad forage...I experienced that off every port i fished last season

Mick the AC Shiner is my ice out secret weapon for browns off Grimsby. That orange back one in your pic is it. Another hot one for spring salmon and trout and maybe worth a try on erie in the same presentation you describe is the Thin Fin Shad made by Storm lures. Get the smallest size in the chrome sides orange back. Its maybe 2" long and is dynamite for me when the fish have seen too many Rapala J13s.

Im gonna need a bigger boat to haul all this tackle.

Wonderbread bite last summer. Cmon hard water. Deer season over and canin fever kickin bad. 70F1565A-1EB7-480B-95DF-421EE3C4D192.jpeg

I was planning on taking mini me down to fish the channels today, but the roads look too bad to travel. Now it looks like LPB is just starting to ice over, so we might get a short ice season down there @Red Hering . Bayview harbour marina is the only functional web cam down there right now. Sorry for the thread hijack @Tcat
Likewise @Tcat Back in one of my post earlier in January,2020 while I was day tripping down around the long point bay area,I was still thinking that perhaps there is still time for a ice fishing season for this year. @Extra Virgin and thanks for posting that photo from the Bayview Harbour Marina. Some older ice fishing photo’s from 2018,from long point bay. Sorry for the bad quality of photo’s from my older camera which I used back then,before I replaced it with the camera that I have now.Enjoy,E89D7525-B905-483D-B109-B16091C33C52.jpeg 28D65D4D-BA50-4259-9D93-D658CF05B039.jpeg1FB86D7C-0524-46C1-B4F2-3E73B5AF04B0.jpeg1C78EDDB-744E-447E-8F08-7C9C63920D57.jpegB13DF63F-0F4F-4A95-9E6F-CDCB7D6169B3.jpeg5354D6FF-48E0-48A4-9BB8-D1B7C719432C.jpeg and tight lines & perch ON!! ? ??:cool:

Last edited:
Lol Red love that hat
Good eyes @Thenorth ?? and I was hoping that someone would notice my hat!! lol:ROFLMAO:;) my wife and daughter bought it for me back as a Christmas present,in 2018. I tell everyone that the perch fishing was sooo good back in 2018,that even my bald eagle toque caught a perch!!:eek::oops: lol:ROFLMAO:?:giggle:?

good fishin harold ....ok heres a bigger one..lol off stanley last aug....Pete @borg cranked that one in..& released..theres the orange for ya..3 bows on the slider that day..all released..

stanley walleyes Aug 20 022.jpg stanley afternoon August 16 010.jpg stanley pickeral sept. 16th 004.JPG that very same shiner where @fishin fool breaks it in..

light line shiners for spring & fall trout & salmon go back a long time..its my experience to change the hooks like i mentioned..

Last edited:
When I lived in the NWT, if I hadn't seen it, I'd have never believed it, but someone tied a large safety pin to their line, bent the pointy don't stick that in me end a bit, threw it into the water clean, and caught a 6lb pike with it. So I believe that when a fish is hungry, it'll probably hit anything that looks like it might be food. :unsure:

Harold @Elmerfudd since your best producer was RR on erie..just to mention wonderbread colour is offered in spoons..I seen them before..I looked up your go to and its offered in michigan stinger...

best spoons for me for that worked good on both lakes and on calm water conditions...are flutterspoons..silverfoxs..to bad lure kings famous bronte flutter spoon is long gone..

fellow member @Puddle Jumper has told us he fishes both lakes and speaks highly of the wonderbread colour spoon..
The old NK28s produced for everybody on Lake O where it started and was a great spoon on Lake Huron through the salmon boom..suprising to see the sail store selling 10 colours of the NK 28s..
Moonshine spoons are big on Lake O for years...I have several...there glow is one of the best..

Harold @Elmerfudd since your best producer was RR on erie..just to mention wonderbread colour is offered in spoons..I seen them before..I looked up your go to and its offered in michigan stinger...

best spoons for me for that worked good on both lakes and on calm water conditions...are flutterspoons..silverfoxs..to bad lure kings famous bronte flutter spoon is long gone..

fellow member @Puddle Jumper has told us he fishes both lakes and speaks highly of the wonderbread colour spoon..
The old NK28s produced for everybody on Lake O where it started and was a great spoon on Lake Huron through the salmon boom..suprising to see the sail store selling 10 colours of the NK 28s..
Moonshine spoons are big on Lake O for years...I have several...there glow is one of the best..
Totally agree Mick, one of my best producers for walleye in 2017 was the moonshine lures. Crabface, wonderbread and burnt bread were my 3 favorites jj macmuffin was up there this last season. There glow is fantastic.

Thanks for sharing your success Ben @Crummybun with the moonshines...ya 2017 was good walleye fishin..better then 2016.. & 2017 was my last season targeting bows...we did good....2016 was my last erie coho :(..off erieau pt. and last erieau derby ticket..

ya missed oppurtunity on erie bows for me last 2 seasons and ya it was complicated didn't make it..theres going to be good numbers of bows & bigger this season..ya I posted that nice skamania from aug 2017..well there out there for 2020 and I hope mother nature cooperates..

Custom Painted Ripplin’ Red Fin

The Cotton Cordell Red Fin is a legendary lure for a variety of gamefish. Diving to 3 feet, the Ripplin’ Red Fin is the bait-of-choice for shallow water salmon, steelhead, walleyes and all types of bass.

This quote above is off the wack um website..I agree its one of the best bait of choice for steelhead & walleyes..

colour does matter...I see the posted 12 colours they offer?, but no blue & silver listed..I would consider buying some if they offered blue & silver..
I have a few new RRs left of that colour saved for rainbow fishin...after that I am not going to buy anymore new RRs..switch back to my long A bombers.
hey @Red Hering have to say you posted the best photo on this thread..walleye eating the redfin..lol

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks