Off Topic 8/23/2022

Mine is a 2008 Mercury 4 stroke EFI 90 HP. Off the top of their heads the mechanic at Extreme Marine said by the way I described what happened he thinks it is the float switch and said Mercury has a back order on them (as they are all failing) and I may have to order one from Amazon if that is what they find wrong with it.

I am kicking myself in the arse right now. When I sold the 19.5 foot Campion CC 2 years ago I thought I was done fishing and let my almost new Mercury 8 HP 4 stroke EFI electric start with alternator go with the boat. It would have been the perfect kicker for the Legend. Oh well they say hindsight is 20/20

I am also a little bit annoyed at the fact the marina did not answer my radio calls and neither did anyone out on the lake except for Rick and I will never forget his kindness. After running charters at Port Stanley and Port Glasgow for over 30 years I can't count the number of disabled boaters I have towed in. Watching Fisherman pass my boat while I had my arms waving was a very poor sign of the future. Just a call from Extreme Marine and he thinks it is water in the gas tank and he found a few loose screws around the sending unit gasket and he thinks the rain the last few days got into the tank.

I am also a little bit annoyed at the fact the marina did not answer my radio calls and neither did anyone out on the lake except for Rick and I will never forget his kindness. After running charters at Port Stanley and Port Glasgow for over 30 years I can't count the number of disabled boaters I have towed in. Watching Fisherman pass my boat while I had my arms waving was a very poor sign of the future. Just a call from Extreme Marine and he thinks it is water in the gas tank and he found a few loose screws around the sending unit gasket and he thinks the rain the last few days got into the tank.
Should be a cheap fix then? Minimal down time?

@scrimmy glad you pulled off the lake, terrible that so many boats went by you with lending assistance.Disappointing..

I wonder how many of the boats that saw me with my arms up waving realize it is illegal to leave a boat in distress without first seeing if you can lend assistance.

Canada Shipping Act​

The Canada Shipping Act incorporates international rules into a framework that governs the operation of vessels in Canadian waters. It is the umbrella act under which other boating regulations are developed.

One rule states that pleasure craft operators should watch for signals that indicate distress and need of assistance from other vessels and must come to the aid of another boater in distress unless it means placing their own vessel and lives in danger.

Last edited:
I thought he said in another thread his is 2009
I could be mistaken tho
That's in the ones that were bad 2007-2015. If the switch has orange wires which all original motors in that time frame came with they are the bad ones, red wires they are the upgraded version.

Update
Apparently some also had black wires. Here's some photos off another forum (didn't even know there was others beside 68 :p ) to show the difference between old fuel float switch on the right and new version on the left with red wires.

1661295047155.png
1661295001502.png

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your luck Scrimmy. I definatly would have towed you in if I were out there. Plenty of time to catch fish after the tow job. Sorry to hear. I too have a Legend 18 Extreme 2016 and hope the fuel float switch is a good one. Sorry to hear about your luck.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks