Off Topic 8/23/2022

We are going to give this afternoon a go. I will report the weather and fishing. I will be on channel 68, handle "petfin" if anyone is out there.
John

Well I launched at 5:45 this morning and headed out. Made it 2.2 miles out and my 90 HP 4 Stroke efi bogged down and quit on me. I tried and tried to get her going again but to no avail. Port Glasgow Marina would not answer the radio yet again. I called ch 68 for some assistance but did not get any answer. I called on Channel 16 and got the Coast Guard in Sarnia all the while I had at least 10 boats go by me with my arms waving but none would stop. At last got the Coast Guard to call Marina to no avail. The Coast Guard called me on my cell phone and said they were sending a boat for me. I got a radio call from a nice guy named Rick and he told me he would find me and tow me back to port with his 16' Lund. What a great guy. We made it back to port and I called the Coast Guard back so they could call off the rescue and they thanked me for the call. Had to take the boat all the way to Extreme Marine in Nilestown and leave it there so they can put it on the computer to see what's wrong.

Attachments

• tow.jpg
    tow.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Well I launched at 5:45 this morning and headed out. Made it 2.2 miles out and my 90 HP 4 Stroke efi bogged down and quit on me. I tried and tried to get her going again but to no avail. Port Glasgow Marina would not answer the radio yet again. I called ch 68 for some assistance but did not get any answer. I called on Channel 16 and got the Coast Guard in Sarnia all the while I had at least 10 boats go by me with my arms waving but none would stop. At last got the Coast Guard to call Marina to no avail. The Coast Guard called me on my cell phone and said they were sending a boat for me. I got a radio call from a nice guy named Rick and he told me he would find me a tow me back to port with his 16' Lund. What a great guy. We made it back to port and I called the Coast Guard back so they could call off the rescue and they thanked me for the call. Had to take the boat all the way to Extreme Marine in Nilestown and leave it there so they can put it on the computer to see what's wrong.
Don’t you have the same motor as @Red Hering?

Hats off to the gentleman that helped you out. We all try to be prepared for the worst but every once in a while bad luck strikes and you need that additional support.
It seems that with cell phones a lot of people aren’t using the marine radio anymore, cloud be another factor.

Hopefully it’s nothing major.
Any chance you have a bad batch of gas? Do you have a water separator you could check?

Sorry to hear the bad news scrimmy. I was hoping for a good weather and fishing report from you. Hope there is nothing major wrong with your motor. Good luck.

Too bad and what a disappointment on so many levels.

Trust the issue is quickly and inexpensively resolved.

The lack of radio response is truly disappointing.

There's been a number of assistant calls out of Burwell, the last one very fresh.

I tried to respond to one a few weeks ago, but the party had no idea where they were. Couldn't provide #s.They thought they were west and they were actually quite east of port.

At one point I was actually wondering if it was a prank but kept looking.

Fortunately they got their motor restarted because I wasn't able to see/locate them. 🌻

Too bad and what a disappointment on so many levels.

Trust the issue is quickly and inexpensively resolved.

The lack of radio response is truly disappointing.

There's been a number of assistant calls out of Burwell, the last one very fresh.

I tried to respond to one a few weeks ago, but the party had no idea where they were. Couldn't provide #s.They thought they were west and they were actually quite east of port.

At one point I was actually wondering if it was a prank but kept looking.

Fortunately they got their motor restarted because I wasn't able to see/locate them. 🌻
The Coast Guard asked me for my GPS numbers and when I gave the numbers to them they told me those numbers put you on shore. I told them my GPS is right on the money and I have come into port many times in the fog and they always get me to within 50 feet of the lighthouse. They then sent me a text to get the GPS numbers off my phone and they were the same as my Lowrance GPS. I told them that they should check their GPS numbers and correct them, lol.

I was given a "hot spot" a couple of years ago.

Put them in the Simrad and promptly headed for Zimbabwe or Nairobi, I can't remember exactly now. :oops: 😁

Had quite the chuckle over that intel.... And the source. LOL 🌻

I'm taking 3 friends out from Toronto tomorrow.
I thought today & tomorrow looked perfect.
Apparently not.... 😭

Its the summer of failed Mercs..I had issues until my carb clean and fuel pump kit.
With boats its Murphys law...hope you get a quick fix.

I may rethink going out this afternoon then. Leave it until Thursday.
I would it's a much better forecast, PS weather buoy says down to 2 footers right at the moment. It's what you are comfortable in but myself I don't like it so I'm going tomorrow morning. :)

I would it's a much better forecast, PS weather buoy says down to 2 footers right at the moment. It's what you are comfortable in but myself I don't like it so I'm going tomorrow morning. :)
4pm wind forecast doesn’t look bad.. especially for Glasgow.
But if they are off a bit by where the strong wind will hit you could be in for a long wet ride! Tomorrow and Thursday MORNINGs look good
And hopefully the low percentage chance of tbundershowers bugger off by Thursday morning or at least be on land and not head out into the lake
88468870-21F1-4545-BCE3-5B30B6B6618D.jpeg

Thursday morning looks good as well. there is now a low percentage chances of some thunder showers for Thursday morning. hoping that goes away.. I have wednesday morning and thursday morning planned to go!
Thunder showers are okay, we're not made of sugar so we won't wash away. Thunder storms that's another matter. :)

is there float switches in all boats? all the float siwtches ive ever dealt with for irrigation have always been a bit temperamental. id hate to be relying on one for fuel delivery for a boat being way off shore

Could be the same problem as @Red Hering, what year is your Merc? From 2007-2015 the fuel float switches are a real problem that Merc never admitted to or recalled.
@Wave Runner I just replied back to @scrimmy to try to help him out,and I am wondering the same on what year his 90 Mercury EFI 4 stroke outboard motor is. Mine is a 2007,and it should run just fine,(because I have replaced every part in it over the year’s!! 😱 lol πŸ˜†),once I get this fuel float switch fixed!! 🀞🀞I have a lot of walleye catching to do!! 🚀🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟 πŸ€žπŸ˜‰πŸ‘πŸ™‚

@Wave Runner I just replied back to @scrimmy to try to help him out,and I am wondering the same on what year his 90 Mercury EFI 4 stroke outboard motor is. Mine is a 2007,and it should run just fine,(because I have replaced every part in it over the year’s!! 😱 lol πŸ˜†),once I get this fuel float switch fixed!! 🀞🀞I have a lot of walleye catching to do!! 🚀🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟 πŸ€žπŸ˜‰πŸ‘πŸ™‚
I thought he said in another thread his is 2009
I could be mistaken tho

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks