Off Topic What the Gov't deems ESSENTIAL.

• Thread starter Deleted member 5866
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5866

So, I noticed that the provincial gov't released the list of what they deem to be essential services last night earlier than they said they would.

After announcing yesterday that he was ordering a shut down of all non essential services and that he'd release the list of what is deemed essential today, it's good that he released it earlier than he said.

But after reading this list, it makes me wonder just what exactly is he ordering closed because it doesn't seem like a hell of a lot, and it blows my mind that they have deemed that because they sell what is "considered to be grocery type items" THE LCBO AND BEER STORES as well as Cannabis retail outlets have been deemed to be essential services and therefore they get to remain open. :eek:o_O:mad: I'm sorry, while I don't drink anymore and haven't for 10+ years, I get it.....but booze and recreational pot are NOT essentials.

Doug making sure he has access to his buck a beer still? :unsure:

Anyways, here's the link to that list of what the provincial gov't has deemed to be an essential workplace.

I find it funny that the politicians are essentially giving everyone a stern talking to on TV saying “enough is enough” but then this is the list they come out with.

Josh and Woodsman, while your point is well taken and I get it.........I also know as do you this has less to do with that argument and more to do the $$$ the gov't will lose if they shut them down.....you also know that when it comes right down to it, alcohol is NOT an essential to survival.....and I specifically made sure I said "recreational pot" because I know there are lots of prescriptions for medicinal pot, my doctors have asked me if I want one, and I said no.............again like I said in the original post.......he said he's shutting down all non essential services......but from that list they've deemed to be essential......what exactly are they shutting down because it doesn't look to me like he's shutting much down at all......Holty........this is the province saying what they deem essential, NOT the Feds....

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though this is related to Covid 19, at least this gives us something a little different to talk about for a little while........and let's face it, none of us would want to have been the ones making these kind of decisions.

Sorry, but I guess I don't know as you do. Alcoholism is a real problem with real consequences if it's usage is suddenly stopped.....And pot is a medication for many, many people whether you agree with its effectiveness or not. They aren't closing pharmacies and they won't close pot shops....

Josh

Sorry, but I guess I don't know as you do. Alcoholism is a real problem with real consequences if it's usage is suddenly stopped.....And pot is a medication for many, many people whether you agree with its effectiveness or not. They aren't closing pharmacies and they won't close pot shops....

Josh

I am FULLY aware of the very real and serious impacts of alcoholism and drug addictions.....and the consequences...let's leave it at that..(I'd rather not relive some painful memories and no it's not me, but I'm willing to say I've lost both family and very good friends to both)........I think you're missing or maybe overlooking the fact that I said recreational pot, I'm not talking about medicinal........

Last edited by a moderator:
There's far more questionable 'essentials' listed IMO.....

The entire list is questionable....everything is questionable when it's a debate over what to close and what not too and as has been made evident by the discussion already.......differing points of view play a major role in making these kinds of decisions and like I said, none of us would want to be the ones making these decisions......

He's deemed them (booze and pot) as essential because taxes will be collected to help foot the bill for this.
and that's what I said......it's more about that than it is the other argument being made even if the other argument may have played a part in the decision......it came down to the $$$

I really don't no what he shut down by reading the list,,,if we really want to bring the curve down, close everything non essential down including beer and liquor,,, grocery stores should be open daily for a set period, pharmacies, emergency services open, I am a taxi driver and I have stopped working for over a week now,, i no its an essential service but the business has slowed right down with no one going out,,my choice,,,I think people need to take this a bit more seriously,, I'm not knocking any body down here,, I'm just putting in my 2 cents,,,,I'm ready to go fishing as soon as its ok... all my gear has been checked twice over...lets all pray that this is over ASAP and everyone is healthy...Pocono...

Josh and Woodsman, while your point is well taken and I get it.........I also know as do you this has less to do with that argument and more to do the $$$ the gov't will lose if they shut them down.....you also know that when it comes right down to it, alcohol is NOT an essential to survival.....and I specifically made sure I said "recreational pot" because I know there are lots of prescriptions for medicinal pot, my doctors have asked me if I want one, and I said no.............again like I said in the original post.......he said he's shutting down all non essential services......but from that list they've deemed to be essential......what exactly are they shutting down because it doesn't look to me like he's shutting much down at all......Holty........this is the province saying what they deem essential, NOT the Feds....
Exactly correct. Both government run.

Considering your governments are throwing around billions of $ in our money that the governments don't actually have and shutting down the country on a whim... We need every source of tax income possible.

The shitty news is conservation areas are shut down does that stop us from self isolating and hunting turkeys on public land?

So, I noticed that the provincial gov't released the list of what they deem to be essential services last night earlier than they said they would.

After announcing yesterday that he was ordering a shut down of all non essential services and that he'd release the list of what is deemed essential today, it's good that he released it earlier than he said.

But after reading this list, it makes me wonder just what exactly is he ordering closed because it doesn't seem like a hell of a lot, and it blows my mind that they have deemed that because they sell what is "considered to be grocery type items" THE LCBO AND BEER STORES as well as Cannabis retail outlets have been deemed to be essential services and therefore they get to remain open. :eek:o_O:mad: I'm sorry, while I don't drink anymore and haven't for 10+ years, I get it.....but booze and recreational pot are NOT essentials.

Doug making sure he has access to his buck a beer still? :unsure:

Anyways, here's the link to that list of what the provincial gov't has deemed to be an essential workplace.

Just read this article this morning from health professionals about cracks in the front lines at hospitals

I'm ready to go fishing as soon as its ok... all my gear has been checked twice over.

I'm not quite ready to go yet. That self imposed hibernation I do every year was suddenly interrupted a full month before I usually end it and now it might be extended a full month or more beyond when I usually end it.

According to "the boss" I can look at my gear, but I'm not allowed to touch it until I get those spring cleaning things she wants done completed first, ie taking the spring/summer/fall stuff out of the shed, reorganizing it a bit and then putting the winter stuff back in it, putting the new BBQ together, cleaning and reorganizing the porch (which just isn't fair, that's where my fishin gear is and I NEVER do that until at least the 3rd week of April) putting the patio stones back down beside where we park the car and truck,, putting air in the bike tires (which I dunno why she wants me to do that every year. I do it then we never use them, in fact they never come out of the shed :LOL:) and that's just the SMALL list she's given me.:inpain:

Just read this article this morning from health professionals about cracks in the front lines at hospitals

Kind of confirms what perhaps some or many of us have thought already and perhaps voiced. Is the response from the gov't (on all levels) appropriate and enough? Some think it is. Some think it isn't and then there are those who can't make that determination because there is too much uncertainty.

I know my wife and I have discussed it many times, and based on what they've told us, Covid 19 is a close cousin of SARS but is transmitted faster because it spreads from person to person more like the common flu would. While we both think they probably have looked at what they did with SARS, and are using some of that information now, we also can't help but wonder, have they and are they?

I am scratching my head to figure out just what business would have to close besides what is already closed.
As for booze and pot stores ? No brainer eh ? Absolutely essential ! Money , Money, Money ! Plus you got to keep the masses happy. Could you imagine the riots ? Congrats to those that shed that evil monkey off their backs but for me... ? Make it a double ! But wash your hands first.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks