Traveling with fish in livewell = breaking the law

Is that transporting fish overland? No. This reg is clearly shown on both page 12 and page 14 of the current regs and has been there for years. It was implemented in hopes of stopping people from transporting non-native and invasive species between water bodies.

View attachment 15438
Laws are just that...laws....and there has to be intent to circumvent that law. If a livewell has two dead eyes and two live eyes and you take that to a judge and explain that your intent was to take them home and clean and eat them....the judge would IMO toss it. You plead guilty with an explanation because indeed what happened was illegal .

Laws are just that...laws....and there has to be intent to circumvent that law. If a livewell has two dead eyes and two live eyes and you take that to a judge and explain that your intent was to take them home and clean and eat them....the judge would IMO toss it. You plead guilty with an explanation because indeed what happened was illegal .
All depends on the day and the person overseeing it .

Thats what I was told to do but too late, wife had sent in the fine payment.
I'm not trying to make excuses for being non-compliant with the law..I try to be in accordance with all regs.
However, theres so much promo for the public working with enforcement..TIPS lines, private property access, all the booths at the shows, etc etc yet there dosnt always seem to be any common sense when applying the law.
One of the co-owners of our property north of London was in the bush during deer season. He had his licence and tag, and was hunting in the morning. It was raining a bit, so he came back to his truck which was half way back in the bush..its a sugar bush so it has wide trails for the tractor. Being a farmer, he had a bucket of black walnuts and was heeling them in a spot he wanted to grow some walnut trees. Because it was raining, he put his muzzle loader in the truck. Unbeknownst to him, a MNR C.O had come into the bush, saw him and the truck, and without speaking to Scott, checked the truck and saw the gun. He removed the gun and checked it--it was loaded with a cap on the nipple--its an old Hawkins style rifle. Scott eventually saw him, went over and was charged with having a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle. This is in the back of a bush 1/2 mile from any road on a bush lane. ...not on or close to a traveled road.
Scott did go to court where he challenged the intent of the law..being to prevent road hunting. The judge agreed in principle but felt he had to uphold the letter of the law. Scott was allowed to plead no-contest and was fined $10, with nothing attatched to his record. The C.O was berated in court by the judge for wasting the courts time.

Thats just a dick move. They wonder why people aren't more warm and welcoming. I got dinked last for $125 cause my flashlight didn't work. It's one thing to have a bunch of live fish ready to be released and having fish heading for the table with a group of honest fishermen If they can't tell the difference then they need more training.

What's defined as a flashlight? I have a light on my phone that's works as a flashlight.
CF

Yep must float. I told them I had a cell phone light--no good.
I now have a bag of $$ store flashlights to hand out to anyone who need one.

Its true, not allowed to transport live fish, for this is the reason why i bleed out my fish. Also bleeding them out as you keep them keeps the meat real white and better tasting.
I keep a nice little pair of garden shears that i use to cut the bottom of the gills and then I toss on ice. Try it and you will see and taste the difference and no more fines

Since it’s a live well talk I’ll add this to the mix. I had read over the years about this as well as some articles out of Japan for sushimi preparation. So about 2 ish years ago I tried it. My front live well I pulled the plug and let the fish die on the way in/out of ramp etc. Put ice on them. The rear livewell I clipped the gills and BLED THEM OUT on the boat ride back into the port and also tossed ice into the live(dead ?) Wells. Hands down bleeding them out was the best. Prepped both fish at home and from the visible/cleanliness difference while prepping to the blind fast test by my two young kids..... the bled out fish won for sure. I’ve been doing it that way ever since. Lengthy post but this will also alleviate any issues with transporting live fish over land. Cheers all. (Noticed joes post above after I hit send ? so obviously I agree ?)

What's defined as a flashlight? I have a light on my phone that's works as a flashlight.
CF
Has to be waterproof. Went through this. Buddy said his phone was waterproof and they told him throw it in water then. These idiotic laws need to be updated. Like really a whistle over a phone for communication??

How about just follow the rules and regulations?
Do checks on all the equipment making sure everything is in working order and accounted for.
Crazy to see how people make excuses to not follow the regulations.
Like if you think a $5 to $10 flash light and $2 whistle are not needed then think again. Getting tossed out the boat or falling in with a phone in the pocket or it going overboard would happen far too easy in a bad situation.
Like I couldnt depend on my phone when spending a day on the lake is it would be dead or near dead from looking at my Navionics, taking pics, and so on.
Common guys and give your head a shake!

How about just follow the rules and regulations?
Do checks on all the equipment making sure everything is in working order and accounted for.
Crazy to see how people make excuses to not follow the regulations.
Like if you think a $5 to $10 flash light and $2 whistle are not needed then think again. Getting tossed out the boat or falling in with a phone in the pocket or it going overboard would happen far too easy in a bad situation.
Like I couldnt depend on my phone when spending a day on the lake is it would be dead or near dead from looking at my Navionics, taking pics, and so on.
Common guys and give your head a shake!
If I get tossed out of a boat a flashlight or whistle unless attached is going to do no good. Fact is these laws were made many mnay years ago and they are too lazy to update with the times. Any person with boat trouble is not going to blow on their whistle but rather call there buddy for a tow etc. Time to get with the ages here. Common sense is dead. I have a fully functional VHS marine radio , air horn and whistle but my first means of communication is the phone obviously. Just because they made it a law 50 years ago doesnt make it relevant. Funny we could update our driving cell phone laws though

If I get tossed out of a boat a flashlight or whistle unless attached is going to do no good. Fact is these laws were made many mnay years ago and they are too lazy to update with the times. Any person with boat trouble is not going to blow on their whistle but rather call there buddy for a tow etc. Time to get with the ages here. Common sense is dead. I have a fully functional VHS marine radio , air horn and whistle but my first means of communication is the phone obviously. Just because they made it a law 50 years ago doesnt make it relevant. Funny we could update our driving cell phone laws though
Yes but thats why i have whistles attached to most of my lifejackets, also they make these rules for all pleasure crafts to be able to follow, like say a jet skies where you wouldnt want to have a phone.
Also stilm getting tossed out of the boat or falling over, and even having to jump out to help someone with a phone will leave you without communication.
But just my 2 cents, for the few bucks to meet and exceed the regulations is far too easy for me and no need to worry about getting pinched

Not quite true anymore... many phones including the iPhones now have an IP68 rating, meaning they can be submerged in 2m of water for up to 30 minutes. Plenty of time to make a call or check your FB or snap an instagram pic.... :p

I've been told twice during spot checks that my waterproof Samsung is perfectly legit as a flashlight....

Josh

I've been told twice during spot checks that my waterproof Samsung is perfectly legit as a flashlight....

Josh
They were told the same and there reply was ok throw it in the water to which buddy didnt feel that was necessary. I was 20 feet away in my boat but wasnt allowed to give biddy some new batteries. Common sense gone.

The whistle is for sound alarm to a boat near you if you are in distress or as a warning incase they the other vessel not paying attention to the course they on to avoid collision
I have the safety can that has the floating rope , whistle ,flashlight, and the can can be used as a bailing device
I also carry floating rechargeable spot ligth
Got it from Canadian tire, installed a fire extinguisher for marine use ,and I got a air operated horn which I find the most use for
Specifically around sail boats on lake Ontario as they never watch where the hell they going under wind or engine power
??
Also installed a magnetic compass at the helm
Only thing I don't have in the boat is navianic maps
But as I understand the rules if you are familiar with the area you are in not required
I hope I'm right about that one
Let's face it some officer will go out of their way to help you to stay safe by helping you with don't and do and some are by the book no exception to the rules
If I missed something that I need on the boat that on me " yes it is nice to get a brake on small infractions " but over all we can all be thankful for them to save our skin when in need
Now if it was me I would of have you drain your life well and club the fish in the head and send you on your way for a good walleye dinner ,if you take it to court wish you get a reasonable judge

Let's face it some officer will go out of their way to help you to stay safe by helping you with don't and do and some are by the book no exception to the rules
If I missed something that I need on the boat that on me " yes it is nice to get a brake on small infractions " but over all we can all be thankful for them to save our skin when in need
Now if it was me I would of have you drain your life well and club the fish in the head and send you on your way for a good walleye dinner ,if you take it to court wish you get a reasonable judge

Going to court yes and it should be an easy win.

Somewhat related... my first infraction was some 10 years ago, middle of a storm on Lake Temagami. Small boat maxed out on occupants (5) traversing the lake's hub against gusting wind and huge swells. We were almost across when the cops stopped us and checked everything. It probably took well over 30 minutes. One of our life jackets wasn't kosher so we got a fine.

By the time they were done, we had drifted back across the hub and had to traverse again. The cops buzzed off and didn't even stay within line of sight.

The guy must have realized this was a d*ck move, because he decided not to "file" the fine, whatever that means. But in the interim I was pretty salty about the ordeal... still am because they did leave us in danger.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks