Traveling with fish in livewell = breaking the law

Transporting live fish is why one of my favorite brookie lakes now only has dinkie perch. But ya i'm guilty cause some of the frozen perch from ice fishing started flopping in the sink at home. CO musta been shy of his "limit"? Be glad you don't run a fancy speed boat. My buddy in T.P. gets pulled over at least twice every weekend. At this point I bet he knows the rules better than the Coast gaurd!

I heard that others suffered the same fate when transporting fish off the Point to the weigh-in at Turkey Point during the recent Big Bass Derby. Partially defeats the purpose of having the Live Release boat on hand. IMHO @sterlingz , a warning would have been much more appropriate.

Let's get @Woodsman 's opinion here...
?

Are you suggesting people got tickets with Bass in the livewell on route to weigh in? I cannot believe that.

Are you suggesting people got tickets with Bass in the livewell on route to weigh in? I cannot believe that.
I would especially after watching them harass buddy because his batteries were not up to par. It was a very awkward unneeded scene . That could of been handled soooo much better by the 2 for 1 ( OPP and CO) officer in same boat. Again someone was having a bad day. So yes nothing surprises me.

Most irrigation, golf course, gravel pit ponds in south ont. have been stocked with illegally transported fish. I have no problem with this, especially if there land locked.
But come on, capped powder gun on the truck seat, yey, thats a loaded arm, live fish in the well during transport, that's transporting, tourney or not?
Why all the they could have been nicer?

A "cell phone legal as a flashlight" on a boat?
"Throw it in and let's see it float" seems logical to me!
If you were in say 60 feet of water and the boat capsized if the light floated you may have a chance of getting it.
If it sinks say good bye.

The boating safety rules are in place to protect you and anyone else on your boat, comply with them and then there will be no issues when a safety check occurs. If you can spend thousands of dollars on riggers, rods, reels, lure etc. you should have no issues with a $10 dollar floating flashlight, and the extra costs for the throw rope etc. Think you can get a whole kit with throw rope, whistle for like $35 or so.
Check to ensure every is in working order and have a great time on the water.

"But come on, capped powder gun on the truck seat, yey, thats a loaded arm
Why all the they could have been nicer?"

The truck was 1/2 mile in the bush thats owned by Scott. The law is to prevent road hunting...which is so common around here, the CO might have spent his time better being on the roads vs in our bush. The judge agreed. You can't fix stupid...

Dave, not after a pisser. But come on, " I was shucking walnuts, not keeping the arm on the ready, just incase? So I guess if Mr 8 stepped out nobody was shooting either?"
The law isn't just for scummy road hunters, stats are clear, its mainly for self inflicted loaded arm, vehicle accidents, truck floor boards to leg wounds, to guy next to shooter. Doesn't matter who's bush it is, or how far in?
Dave, somehow I have become a Senior citizen, beats me how? but " back in the day", I was hunting nuts, meat in the freezer at all cost, and yes I broke many rules/laws, never got caught, should have?
Guess all I'm saying, doesn't matter who's bush it is, or how far back in, even old day powder arm, cap off inside?
And fully agree with you, living in the rural here, road hunting and night hunters need alot more policing.

He was planting walnuts 100 yards from the truck and gun. If Mr 8 stepped out nothing would have happened. Should Scott have taken the cap off..yeah, but there was no intent to hunt out of the truck..it was in there because it was raining....but according to laws you can't have a loaded firearm on/in any vehicle...running or not. So, you can't sit on your ATV, snowmobile, or truck when hunting..can't use it as a watch seat. So yep he was in the wrong. Most of us probably are.
My opinion, thats all.

Dave. so how should these rules work, can't be different for land owners and others? I manage my rural turf as just that, mine. I really don't care if a land owner caps at the kitchen table, lay's arm across his lap and quads/trucks to spot. That's on the hunter, yrs ago wound,nt have thought of it, grand kids now, I won't do it?
But I do agree, we need some rule/law up-dates regarding vehicles, land ownership and most importantly, age?

Dave. so how should these rules work, can't be different for land owners and others? I manage my rural turf as just that, mine. I really don't care if a land owner caps at the kitchen table, lay's arm across his lap and quads/trucks to spot. That's on the hunter, yrs ago wound,nt have thought of it, grand kids now, I won't do it?
But I do agree, we need some rule/law up-dates regarding vehicles, land ownership and most importantly, age?
Rules are rules...I don't think any of us dispute that and I agree that we need the rules to keep it all in line. Application of the law is what I sometimes disagree with. I ve seen many many many times where the laws have been bent, modified, thrown away based on who its being applied to. I have in my waĺlet a get out of jail card which if I chose to present would have me on my way with local law enforcement....and I haven't used it!! Law enforcement can use discretion and on this thread I'm not seeing much.

Had a nice outing last week fishing for pike with my mom and brother. Few hours on the water, picked up 4 perfect sized eaters and a dozen throwbacks that were too big or small for our liking. This wasn't great lakes by the way.

Ran into COs and cops on the road out. They asked how we did and we told them. They asked to see the fish so we pointed them to our livewell.

As it turns out, 2 fish were still alive and we got dinged $273 for "illegally transporting live fish". Pretty lame if you ask me, I've never heard of this rule anywhere. Even the government page detailing "how to transport fish" doesn't mention anything about live/dead.

And with this being said... I've transported fish in my livewell SO many times, and know of many other people who do so regularly.

I DO understand the purpose for this regulation, however it seems so obscure to me, a warning would have been fair...

Thoughts?
That's BS....had it out for you. You have a criminal record?..they ding those guys for anything.
Couple of dick CO's ..not even a warning.

Never show them.

Geez hope they dont start checking buckets of people coming off the ice during ice fishing season. Pretty sure everyone is getting a ticket at that point.

I would have told them they were dead, its just the reflexes making them move! Did the CO put a stethoscope on them and check for a pulse? Fight it in court as others mentioned, they will reduce the amount if you can give a half believable story, just dont claim ignorance they dont normally buy into it.

Just if transporting over land.
Crazy how there’s a grand river bass durby this weekend and it’s live release with only one weigh in spot. The only way to get to the weigh in is to drive over land with live fish.

there is a little thing called willful intent
it is that you willfully broke the law
a decent LEO shown a derby ticket should have the reason you are just derby fishing going to the weigh in and live release boat
just be polite

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks