Lake Erie advice

Heading up to Erie to fish next week. Probably Erieau and Burwell.

Got lots of salmon gear for north shore Lake Ontario, but just thinking it may be to heavy for Erie walleye.

Riggers and dipseys. Convector 45s with 30 lb Big game mono and 50-65 lb braid for the dipseys. 8-10 foot rods.

Thoughts or advice??

Thanks.

Heading up to Erie to fish next week. Probably Erieau and Burwell.

Got lots of salmon gear for north shore Lake Ontario, but just thinking it may be to heavy for Erie walleye.

Riggers and dipseys. Convector 45s with 30 lb Big game mono and 50-65 lb braid for the dipseys. 8-10 foot rods.

Thoughts or advice??

Thanks.
I just picked up 2 Daiwa medium 8'6 rods from Natural Sports in Kitchener for $45 each put my 30 on them with 25 pound mono held up great on rainbows as for walleye unless using a ligth rod there isn't much of a fight, that's for my rigger
I use my dipsy rods and leadcore that I use on lake O

Lengthen your leads from the ball. Up to 75 foot or more
Downsize your spoons
Lighten your drags
Closer to the front of your release clips
Pretend the colour isnt working every twenty minutes and see if you have a fish
If the rod twitches, you have a fish, or weed.
Good luck and if you have a vhf, tune in for the entertainment and occasional tip on what's working where

You will be good to go, with what you have. I fish lake Erie and North Shore of lake Ontario as well . I am more set up for Erie, than Ontario . It's like Josh said, you're not there for the fight , You are there because pickeral are way better eating than salmon (although, I like both)! I run longer leads behind my cannonball on Erie, than I do on Ontario ( I seldom use riggers on Erie,). I also run 12 or 15 lb fluorocarbon leaders behind my dipsies on Erie. 20 to 25 on Ontario.

Thanks so much for the quick responses......very much appreciated.

Just to reassure myself...walleye limit is 6 (sporting licence) and rainbow limit is 5.

And total possession limit is 6 walleye and 5 rainbow as well. (one days limit)

Thanks again.
Yup, for limit

Thanks so much for the quick responses......very much appreciated.

Just to reassure myself...walleye limit is 6 (sporting licence) and rainbow limit is 5.

And total possession limit is 6 walleye and 5 rainbow as well. (one days limit)

Thanks again.
Remember trout and salmon combined is 5Screenshot_20220718-205540_Samsung Internet.jpg

On calm days lead core or flat lights on the planner boards with out produce dipseys and riggers times 10,
run as many lines on your boards as you can, if you have them, then add dipseys then riggers if you have enough people on board,

If your running a Dipsy you need Braid.
Maitland area you can just flat-line for Walleye using lighter gear in close.
Worm harness or body baits with a split shot or snap weight. Be prepared to catch Sheep, Bass, Catfish or even a Muskie.
It may take you a little longer to catch your limit but what the hay, your there for the day, who wants to go home early and watch Judge Judy:D.

Worm harness or body baits with a split shot or snap weight. Be prepared to catch Sheep, Bass, Catfish or even a Muskie.
It may take you a little longer to catch your limit but what the hay, your there for the day, who wants to go home early and watch Judge Judy:D.
Going home to watch Judge 👩‍⚖️ Judy, and LoL 😆 @Fish Farmer 🐟🐟 👨‍🌾 🚤🎣🐟🐟😉👍🙂

Last edited:
Your right Erich and the Walleye when they hit scream your reel also, catching them shallow.
My style of fishing as well @Fish Farmer by fishing occasionally for walleye’s in shallow water,especially while casting lure’s & dragging around a worm harness,or a twister tail from out of my Solo 119 Discovery Canoe 🛶/kayak hybrid,when I can’t use my motorboat out on Lake Erie,because it is too rough for fishing/boating. 🛶🚤🎣🐟🐟🐟😉👍🙂

Attachments

• CD87347A-1E73-441B-9522-F67F680068F9.jpeg
    CD87347A-1E73-441B-9522-F67F680068F9.jpeg
    485.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 6284A5FD-1B72-42D5-AC65-2DCEA9F8D08A.jpeg
    6284A5FD-1B72-42D5-AC65-2DCEA9F8D08A.jpeg
    359 KB · Views: 19
Dipsy rods are rigged with braid already.

How deep are you normally flat lining? I have lots of deep diving cranks.

Dipsy rods are rigged with braid already.

How deep are you normally flat lining? I have lots of deep diving cranks.
And some times in 15 FOW near Mohawk island beside the weed bed.

Attachments

• 67949922483__4470D6C6-5DF3-47CF-8D01-234CD628E20F (1).JPG
    67949922483__4470D6C6-5DF3-47CF-8D01-234CD628E20F (1).JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 67917589270__75EFE29F-91BF-4F17-812E-2688536DA2E6.JPG
    67917589270__75EFE29F-91BF-4F17-812E-2688536DA2E6.JPG
    215 KB · Views: 39
  • 65375245777__E0922580-B4AC-42DA-BEAD-211BC2B05FEF.jpg
    65375245777__E0922580-B4AC-42DA-BEAD-211BC2B05FEF.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 40
We flat line lures anywhere from 10 to 40ft down if need be on our boat,
precision trolling is a dive curve book with tons of lures or a app you can buy, and snap weights
if you only fish walleye a few time and don't wanna spend tons of money on lead core, this helps fish a lot of different depths off your boards

Last edited:
I won't allow a lead core setup in my boat "Because":yuck:
I'm not in a race to catch my limit in 10 seconds. I'm there for the day and enjoy my whole day of fishing.(y)(y)
Catching fish the lightest way possible and the fight at the end of the rod.(y)(y)
One guy told me about leadcore it's not fun winding in and you don't even know you have a fish on it.:eek:
Walleye are not a big fighters anyway, but they fight pretty good flat-lining, almost as good as a Sheephead.
Plus, fishing shallow, we only fish 2 rods in the boat because if you get a snag which I do at times, one gets snagged they all get snagged. Try backing up with 4 rods snagged, NOT Good:eek:
Some days it's wind, current, direction speed, I play with the snap weight 1 or 2 Oz. etc. or Split shot.
That precision trolling is OK if you don't have under water currant which Eire has big time, you can troll east 3 mph and your lure will not move, troll west 1 mph and your lure is going crazy. Ever notice you catch a fish on a turn, inside,out. Troll north South, your boat is side ways. to your lines.
All those so called rules formulas go out the door.:D:D

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks