Inner Bay

All true @stomp but 2 or 3 phones onboard? I'm from the before high tech generation and it took me long enough to use the GPS properly and don't even have 1 phone onboard. Why? Because I don't have the time, by the time I figure out one them puppies I'll be dead. :LOL:
Believe it or not @Wave Runner , I fish with "friends", friends with phones

Believe it or not @Wave Runner , I fish with "friends", friends with phones
So do I most of the time... maybe that's why I don't want or need one.
You may wonder how but I have managed to live almost 70 years without one while still catching fish and making it back to shore alive.
AND... without mentioning names I haven't fell overboard even once with my phone in my pocket like some people have. :p:smuggrin:

@Wave Runner and @Crash01 are we still talking about the Inner Bay :D? We all have our strengths and, apparently, one of my few strengths is using a cell phone to take pictures of other people holding fish they caught. It's easy for me because I have kinda figured out the cell phone camera and I never catch anything so my hands aren't slimy.

Ok so I need hard copy
That don't mean I or other people know how to read / interpret what I / other people looking at
This comes from experiance with many fishing friends "before gps " to look for hiden lakes / rivers or just a faster way to get where we were going by reading a road map which is a lot easier than navigational
And most of them would get lost in a cardboard box
So my point is just because you got the required navigational aid dont me n it will help you
This thread now may give ideas to law makers "please insert sarcasm "to send all of as to training school

Took the time this morning to speak with OPP, RCMP, CG etc etc at the Sportsmans show about paper charts /electronics and electronic charts / personal knowledge of area etc.

Not a single badge said paper charts are required.

Commercial yes, pleasure craft, no.

Just make sure you pull the battery's tape out of the CTC safety kit flashlight before they pay you a visit on the water.

If your flashlight doesn't work... $285 :oops::banghead:

Took the time this morning to speak with OPP, RCMP, CG etc etc at the Sportsmans show about paper charts /electronics and electronic charts / personal knowledge of area etc.

Not a single badge said paper charts are required.

Commercial yes, pleasure craft, no.

That's a shocker because I've heard quite the opposite and the regulations clearly state that you do as well as BOATERSexam and others affirm. The only exception is for a boat under 100 tons and that means any boat, commercial or pleasure. And then ONLY if you meet the required knowledge listed below of the waters you happen to be in. I haven't heard of it being enforced on Lake Erie but I know they can and do enforce it heavily on Lake Ontario to any pleasure craft operator caught not carrying the required charts. If you don't have them they will ask those questions and if you can't answer all of the criteria satisfactorily, which by the way is totally up to the officer's own discretion if you did then it's a $280 fine last I heard. As to the contradictory answers given to you by all the badges at the Sportsman Show I'm at a loss what to say. I don't want to see anyone get charged because of wrong information so please fill me in if I am I missing something here? :confused:

Carry and Use Nautical Charts and Publications

Source: Transport Canada

An open body of water may seem inviting, but remember that there are no clearly marked traffic lanes on the water. This, as well as the absence of signs that clearly tell us where we are, can make navigation difficult.

To help make navigation safer, you must carry the following for each area you plan to boat in:
  • the latest edition of the largest scale chart (when available); and
  • the latest edition of related documents and publications, including Notices to Mariners, Sailing Directions, tide and current tables, and the List of Lights, Buoys and Fog Signals.

If you are operating a boat under 100 gross tons, you do not have to carry these charts, documents and publications on board
* as long as you know:

• the location and type of charted:
    • shipping routes;
    • lights, buoys and marks; and
    • boating hazards; and
  • the area’s usual boating conditions such as tides, currents, ice and weather patterns.

I asked to avoid a possible fine as I really don't know everything with regards to all the ins and outs of the law.

I wish I had recorded or made notes of my conversations, but all officers insisted they aren't required by regulation that apply to personal pleasure craft.

A number off officers indicated people confuse regs that don't apply to both (commercial vessel/pleasure craft.) Each has its own separate regulations according to the officers.

Two officers together said if you don't know where all the hazards are and damage your lower unit on a rock that's your problem. We're interested in safety.

A hand drawn map is fine, if you have lived there or boated there for years that's good enough.

We talked about multiple manufactures, Navionics etc, they were all good with them, saying yup, they're all fine. They actually expressed personal preferences based on their own experience.

My post was simply to share what was firmly passed on to me at the show.

Last edited:
Lets just say, we agreed there was no need to replace my Simrad GO 7 with Navionics at this time.

@hvyhaul... thank you for your sincere reply. First in my experience it wouldn't be the first time that officers do not know the law as written that they are supposed to enforce but all of them is hard to comprehend. I'm not doubting anything you said they said, but what I really found astounding was the officer telling you that a hand drawn map is fine. I thought what? So I did some more searching and without going into tremendous detail these are the facts I found. The law absolutely does apply to all pleasure craft not just commercial unless it has oars. I'm not trying to be funny about the oars, that's actually stated in the regulations. The nautical chart must be official and of the size stated below as I thought because when is anything hand drawn considered a legal document for anything. The only thing those badges told you that I could find that was correct is you don't need the chart if you have sufficient knowledge of the area. But as you will see below the knowledge requirement is extensive. I've been boating for a long time and I know I couldn't answer all the required questions stated sufficiently even though I've fished many areas well over 50 years now. As I said before I have not seen this law enforced on Lake Erie so as of yet I don't even carry the chart for here but I certainly have it onboard when fishing Lake Ontario because they do enforce it there. Unless someone here can point out where I got this wrong it is the law.

Your legal responsibilities (page 7 of the Canadian Coast Guard Safe Boating Guide)
The Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations requires all operators of ships and boats to have on board the latest edition of the largest scale chart, documents and publications for each area they are navigating and to keep these documents up-to-date. Vessels under 100 tons are not required to have these charts, documents and publications on board if the person in charge has sufficient knowledge of the following information, such that safe and efficient navigation in the area where the ship is to be navigated is not compromised:
(a) the location and character of charted (i) shipping routes (ii) lights, buoys and marks, and (iii) navigational hazards;
and (b) the prevailing navigational conditions, taking into account such factors as tides, currents, ice and weather patterns.

All boater courses I searched state as mandatory:
Nautical Charts
Pleasure craft operators are legally required by the Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations to carry the most recent edition of the following navigational charts and publications for the areas in which they plan to operate:

• A Large, official nautical chart (the scale of the chart is at least 1:400,000 (2.16 nautical miles to the centimeter)
  • List of Lights, Buoys and Fog signals
  • Notices to Mariners
  • Sailing directions
  • Canadian tide and current tables
These charts and publications are not required if the operator has sufficient knowledge of:
  • The locations of shipping routes; lights, buoys, and markers; and navigational hazards and…
  • Prevailing conditions, including factors such as tides, currents, ice, and weather patterns.

Oh I understand, I looked up some things late last night and found the same contradictions.

I'm going to make a few calls tomorrow and ask some very direct questions and see what comes.

If I lived closer to the show, I might have gone back with some printed papers and ask again.

I''m starting to wonder if there is any distinction between "Registered" vessels and "Licensed" pleasure craft.

From this link.

https://www.boaterexam.com/canada/education/c1-safeboatingregulations-en.aspx

Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations
The operator of a pleasure craft not propelled by oars shall have on board, in respect of each area in which the craft is to be navigated, as described in the Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations, the most recent editions of:

• The largest scale charts
  • The required publications
  • The required documents
  • UNLESS ... the vessel is under 100 tonnes or the operator is familiar with the waterway
And..... I'm not arguing, I really want to what is right.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks