Inner Bay

Dune1975

How far is EC 10 from Old Cut roughly. Also how deep is the water there?

Last edited:
You can get the Navigation Chart for Long Point Bay. Probably get one at Old Cut or any other Marina or online from Canada Gov. . It'll steepen your learning curve and help you do whatever fun things you have in mind better and safer. The flip side here is everyone is required to have the chart of where they are, on board, unless you have the local knowledge.

Where does it say you are required to carry charts? Just curious as I've never heard it was law to carry them.

@fishstalker hey so I'm gonna ask you (and anyone who can help) maybe a dumb question, but i only got my first boat 3 yrs ago so I dont want to make any mistakes.

I checked out those regulations, and it says for boats under 100 tons you don't need the charts on board. So does that mean pleasure craft are exempt, then? What size of vessel are you using when it becomes mandatory to keep charts on board? I'm sorry if this answer is on that page but legal speak confuses the hell out of me.

I think they're messing with you. I've never heard of the Coast guard asking for one. I guess if you piss them off maybe.. Even then I'd be surprised. I have a map on my phone and one on my gps plotter and a compass onboard . That said when I worked the rig we'd have guys ask us where they were (13 miles south of Clear creek) . So right or wrong It's up to you to know the water your on and where you are. My charts are all stapled to the garage wall

It is the law to carry nautical charts onboard but they don't enforce it on Lake Erie that I know of because I have never been asked by the MNR or OPP out on the Lake Erie... ever. However, on Lake Ontario it's a different story. They will ask and if you don't have the chart and can't answer the questions stated below because you don't know the area your fishing well enough you will get a $280 fine last I remember.

The Charts and Nautical Publications Regulations require pleasure craft operators to carry nautical charts on board unless they know the location and character of charted:
  • Shipping routes and…
  • Lights, buoys, and markers and…
  • Navigational hazards.
Operators should use only those charts that are the most up-to-date and of an appropriate scale.

I checked out the boating safety guide and it says you need them as a pleasure craft basically unless you have local knowledge of the area.

Mostly good on here and my intention was not to bash MJM...
Bad habits die hard so just hopefully giving him something to think about. :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks