Boats for the Great Lakes

I have a Grady White 226. Absolutely bullet proof. Great ride very dry ,huge cockpit.Powered by Yamaha 250 .Team Duwyn found her for me in the US ,bank repo. Don't buy new ,depreciation will kill you.
You'd never get me back in a tin boat.Had a Lund Tyee nice but when it got rough nothing touches the Grady for fishability.
I missed out on a beauty GW 226 this summer. Sold in under a week as I was trying to arrange a visit to see her...???

I have a Grady White 226. Absolutely bullet proof. Great ride very dry ,huge cockpit.Powered by Yamaha 250 .Team Duwyn found her for me in the US ,bank repo. Don't buy new ,depreciation will kill you.
You'd never get me back in a tin boat.Had a Lund Tyee nice but when it got rough nothing touches the Grady for fishability.

Team Duwyn? Is that a service?

What do you all think of this boat
its a 1992 Stratos 22 foot, with a 2004 Suzuki 250hp four stroke with 850 hours on it.

Thoughts? Needs a kicker, electronics are from 2017, all Raymarine

Attachments

• 1192 Stratos 2250.jpg
    1192 Stratos 2250.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 82
What do you all think of this boat
its a 1992 Stratos 22 foot, with a 2004 Suzuki 250hp four stroke with 850 hours on it.

Thoughts? Needs a kicker, electronics are from 2017, all Raymarine

I’d swim across the lake and cap’n er back home this afternoon!!?

Seriously though looks nice for an old girl and the motor looks pretty clean. Be nice to know the hours on the motor.

Last edited:
I’d swim across the lake and cap’n er back home this afternoon!!?

Seriously though looks nice for an old girl and the motor looks pretty clean. Be nice to know the hours on the motor.
850 hour ish

Yes it is. Does it matter? Do you know the process?I’ve read it’s pretty straight forward?
Never done it from the US so not sure what's involved. I sold a boat 20 years ago to an American guy that came all the way from Minnesota to pick it up. He said it well worth it for him but with the high US dollar not sure about the other way around. I would inquire about all costs involved when all is said and done to see if it's worth it or not. Another thing is not being able to see it until you actually get there because pictures can be deceiving. Just a thought to consider.

Regarding bringing the boat from USA and bringing it to Canada, There are a lot of people that have done it and could give insite. HOWEVER. I would highly recommend finding out for yourself from the border yourself because when it comes down to it,
1-rules change all the time
2-you cant use the "but my buddy said ...... or my other buddy said...."

Better safe than sorry! Might be able to just drive her across the lake :)

Importing at a land border crossing
If you are importing a marine pleasure craft at a land border crossing, you must declare it to the border services officer; all processing will take place at that location. You must also declare the boat trailer if you have purchased one with the vessel. Please ensure that you have the bill of sale and proof of ownership ready to present to the officer.

Yah it doesn't seem that difficult. I called the government earlier this week about a boat I was looking at that had no paper work and asked them how I would register it... interestingly enough all they need is a bill of sale and they would register the boat to me with no questions asked. So I would even question the above when coming across with it... say you didn't declare it and registered it later for example... all they want is the bill of sale...? I called back to confirm and its a true story!

Also I am reading that boats made in the USA Canada Mexico (and possibly GB) are exempt from Federal duty and if I import the boat at the Alberta border there is no HST! Hell it might be worth towing the thing over there! LOL

I would inquire a little more with the owner regarding all the custom work done with the metal tubing holding the top. It appears many of the joints have been welded and gussets fabricated to reinforce the structure, etc. Yes, this can work; however, it is a sign of age or structure flaw. Just my thoughts..Also, when welding this metal, at times can experience flames or fly offs of burning metal, which can cause burn marks in the fibreglass. Also, can effect wiring housed within the tubing if roof was not removed. Just another thing to look for. Cheers & good luck.

I would inquire a little more with the owner regarding all the custom work done with the metal tubing holding the top. It appears many of the joints have been welded and gussets fabricated to reinforce the structure, etc. Yes, this can work; however, it is a sign of age or structure flaw. Just my thoughts..Also, when welding this metal, at times can experience flames or fly offs of burning metal, which can cause burn marks in the fibreglass. Also, can effect wiring housed within the tubing if roof was not removed. Just another thing to look for. Cheers & good luck.
I had not noticed the welding, I did notice some of the trim at the transom is missing and I did notice there is paint over spray on the battery switch, also the motor is pretty scratched up in weird spots. I wonder if this boat had been in accident or damaged in a storm? Things are adding up now.

So I have received some more info regarding this boat. I asked about the scratches on the motor and the owner says he bought the motor used and that is how it looked, he had that motor installed as it is. He also told me that the welding was done by the state police as this was once a state police boat. I’m not sure if that’s good or bad? It does explain it though.
Any thoughts?

As for the welding... If I was to weld the superstructure I would fit the tubing to the cockpit and then take it off the cockpit and weld it on the bench. far easier to weld in a stable position and a controlled placing rather than on the boat itself. If it was done by a state trooper then I would have little fear of weld splatter... jmo

Opinions on this model...Trophy 1952 Walkaround. 20' 1" LOA, 96" beam 3.0L MerCruiser Alpha I 135 hp
I want to go to a glass walkaround for comfort, but still want trailer-ability. At 20' OAL, its not much longer than my Alaskan but has the depth and beam and weight I want. Is 20' OK in this style or should I go up one size to a 21?

trophy 1902.jpg

looks like a nice ride in good shape.. New motor in that one as well... too bad its in salt water, price is right though!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks