Boats for the Great Lakes

Last time I hit the dock with my Hewescraft the dock broke. No waxing No shining No buffing No bottom paint no time out from fishing. She's pretty to me and will out last me. The same in glass would be another 1500/2000 lbs. . That's a lot extra to tow. Yep a heavy glass boat should ride better but might need a 1 ton to tow it.

Last time I hit the dock with my Hewescraft the dock broke. No waxing No shining No buffing No bottom paint no time out from fishing. She's pretty to me and will out last me. The same in glass would be another 1500/2000 lbs. . That's a lot extra to tow. Yep a heavy glass boat should ride better but might need a 1 ton to tow it.
Which Hewescraft do you have?

@mick I respect your opinion but there are so many fiberglass hulls out there with rotten transoms and stringers, being given away for free or taken to landfill. Fiberglass is a durable material but unless you want to pay 10x the value of the hull to have new wood installed they definitely have a defined lifespan.

I've heard that there are some companies out there making fiberglass hulls without wood but the majority are made with wood and will wind up in a landfill when that wood inevitably rots.

There is a huge difference when you look at off shore rated aluminum vrs domestic. If you look at the specs on the hull construction alone the decking is 3/16" plate aluminum, Transom is solid 1/2" plate aluminum, stringers are solid I beam construction. Deck plates are checker plate, foam filled under deck for noise and flotation... No comparison in the what I call small lake boats. Yes you do pay more for this type of construction but 20 years later I run my boat over a set of scales and it is within a couple of pounds of the same weight when constructed. no need for "lets buy the next 2 foot" again and again... this is jmo

HUGE difference in the all welded Aluminum boats designed for coastal fishing and the typical Lund/Alumacraft/Crestliner aluminums that dominate the local market. There's no comparison between them IMO. I'm hoping to be able to get into a Kingfisher Falcon or something very similar in the next few years myself....

Josh
I agree I fished off one of those west coast boats off Nanaimo BC and they are a completely different animal than the aluminum boats down here for sure. I forget the make but model was called an Ocean Pro 22 ft. which was deep and wide with tons of room and with the transom door was so sweet to get in and out of. Even nicer to fish out of. The aluminum is so thick it would crush the aluminum boats down here like a pop can. But trying to find a used one for sale @rastam4n will be a real challenge they're that good. They are gone the moment someone hears one is for sale because they will literally last a few lifetimes here on the great lakes.

IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

IMG_1222.JPG

Last edited:
what is your budget?

We own a Stanley for the cottage on Georgian bay, I only fish for Bass out of my Ranger but if I trolled I would look at the all welded boats like Stanley. Made here in Ontario as well.

@mick I respect your opinion but there are so many fiberglass hulls out there with rotten transoms and stringers, being given away for free or taken to landfill. Fiberglass is a durable material but unless you want to pay 10x the value of the hull to have new wood installed they definitely have a defined lifespan.

I've heard that there are some companies out there making fiberglass hulls without wood but the majority are made with wood and will wind up in a landfill when that wood inevitably rots.

If you look at the fiberglass boat companies that make bass boats many moved away from wood transoms 20 years ago. Ranger for example has been making multi species boats without wood for 20 years, there are many others.

Just a thought for aluminum boat owners. With the increase cost of aluminum boats it has jacked the value of older aluminum boats. I spoke with my broker and rewrote values on my boat. I showed replacement comparables where 5k more than I was insured for. $46 more a year for coverage. This also took into account my newer trailer. I doubt I would have got a decent car topper with old insurance values.

princecraft !!! Canadian made ! Hold there value very well ! Nice to trailer around! And can handle tough water with the best of them ! Deep hull boats with nice thick gunnels ! Also built to last there are tons of princecrafts around that are 20 years old that are still selling for top coin and are in great shape!

what is your budget?

We own a Stanley for the cottage on Georgian bay, I only fish for Bass out of my Ranger but if I trolled I would look at the all welded boats like Stanley. Made here in Ontario as well.
I am trying to stay under 30g or less

Yachtworld has quite a few great lakes listings for fishing boats. Just know what you want . If your really going to tow a lot watch the weight and get a good trailer. I like aluminum hulls for the lack of maintance you might like sparkles in the gel coat. We'd both be right. My 2005 Hewes was 28 in AB + 3k to ship. I'd deffinetly want 4 stroke fuel injected motors

Hard toppers are the way to go ... if you are serious about being on the great lakes ... you need a decent craft under you and the guests you invite out ... herr is one of the ones we use ... can pick them up easy for in the 10-20 k range ... my buddy has 3 of thease ... two 250s and a 270 that he likes them so much if you are serious pm me and he has 250 for sale ...20190831_090052.jpg

Find a catamaran, we were only able to use ours for about a month after bringing it home late this Summer but I'm convinced they are the way to go for Erie! (if you don't need to trailer often) The Crestliners at Xtreme Marine are also very nice

Last edited:
Find a catamaran, we were only able to use ours for about a month after bringing it home late this Summer but I'm convinced they are the way to go for Erie!
What did you get exactly? I have a Dart 18 but I don't think mounting a motor on the back of that would work to well...lol

What did you get exactly? I have a Dart 18 but I don't think mounting a motor on the back of that would work to well...lol

2006 World Cat 250dc, bought it off a guy in Windsor who imported it from Florida years ago, it's been in salt but no corrosion issues at all

2006 World Cat 250dc, bought it off a guy in Windsor who imported it from Florida years ago, it's been in salt but no corrosion issues at all
WOW looks like a nice boat, has the dual outboards as well eh?
NADA guides suggest the price would be around 35g USD?

Hard toppers are the way to go ... if you are serious about being on the great lakes ... you need a decent craft under you and the guests you invite out ... herr is one of the ones we use ... can pick them up easy for in the 10-20 k range ... my buddy has 3 of thease ... two 250s and a 270 that he likes them so much if you are serious pm me and he has 250 for sale ...View attachment 18330
Thank you but a bit bigger and heavier then I was hoping

Do your home work,mine is KAVELAR hull -no wood any where

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks