Boats for the Great Lakes

rastam4n

Site Sponsor
R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Looking for something fish specific around 22’, trailerable, with a head, suited for fishing, preferably with 1 or 2 outboards for a main
What’s your recommendation for use in the Great Lakes?

If you want what is IMO the ultimate trailerable great lakes boat around that size have a look at some of the welded aluminum craft from the west coast. They are made to last forever.

Theres several manufacturers worth looking at...

Josh

Last edited:
Talk to the guys at Bridge Marine in Dover.
I can only dream a boat from their.
Man they have some nice lake stuff

go check out the fleet of high end sport fishin boats at erieau marina..

you got coin and want a good boat & a great ride...fibreglass hull..endless choices..

Great suggestions, I did not know there were so many options, those west and east coast aluminum's are amazing but wow pricey!
I am not looking to buy new, I would buy as much as 20 years old if the boat suits my needs and is, or can be made to be reliable. These suggestions will help me to find those used deals.
I like the semi enclosed forward helms. I also love the aluminum hulls, imho they seem to hold their value for longer... I don't think my budget will work for one of those though
Right now I'm aiming to come in under 30g... we will see how that goes! :)

to me aluminum fishing boats are so so ugly...noisy ride..not made to last..the list goes on.....I haven't seen one yet that was sporty and nice looking.. the older fibreglass hulls are made to last and are still around today...
and I have been on and seen alot of boats..ya I was over at hully gully yesterday picking up some supplies and they were unloading more junk princecraft for there inventory...big mistake..

to me aluminum fishing boats are so so ugly...noisy ride..not made to last..the list goes on....
Interesting take... I am pretty sure price will dictate that I go with fiberglass as the aluminum hulls seem to be twice the price, and I have no problem with fiberglass, as long as the weight doesn't become an issue. My taco can haul okay but the heavier boats really push me around on the road, and I am trying to avoid "not making the trip" because its uncomfortable or inconvenient to tow. I live on Huron and love fishing up here but a wack of eyes from Erie is always a nice treat.

As for aluminum... all I can say is the aluminum boats are the only boats that go up in value as the scrap price of aluminum increases on a yearly basis :ROFLMAO::D. Fiberglass just gets heavier as the years go by and eventually breaks apart...jmo
I particularly like your comment since I will be selling my 19' Tracker to finance this en-devour!

Very interesting take @mick I have always thought the opposite. Then again I've only ever done research on aluminum boats. I have had a couple fiberglass and aluminum from the 70's and 80's. The aluminum's are still in good shape, don't leak and will last another many year! As for the fiberglass they were brittle and leaked like a sieve. That being said new construction has changed tremendously! Things arent built like they used to. Things are built to be replaced. perishable. Not to last. But like anything. if you take care of it. It will show.

HUGE difference in the all welded Aluminum boats designed for coastal fishing and the typical Lund/Alumacraft/Crestliner aluminums that dominate the local market. There's no comparison between them IMO. I'm hoping to be able to get into a Kingfisher Falcon or something very similar in the next few years myself....

Josh

My Larson s for sale,I have fished her out of Bruce ,the last few years,22.5 ready to go,pm me an I will send you pics an info,selling because I bought a bigger 1to charter with,at a great price,a few members here have fished on her
Looking for something fish specific around 22’, trailerable, with a head, suited for fishing, preferably with 1 or 2 outboards for a main
What’s your recommendation for use in the Great Lakes?

@mick I respect your opinion but there are so many fiberglass hulls out there with rotten transoms and stringers, being given away for free or taken to landfill. Fiberglass is a durable material but unless you want to pay 10x the value of the hull to have new wood installed they definitely have a defined lifespan.

I've heard that there are some companies out there making fiberglass hulls without wood but the majority are made with wood and will wind up in a landfill when that wood inevitably rots.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks