Big Otter sanctuary Petition

yes i agree !! and do think that this type out input is a good thing and shows others how passionate about fishing we all are . thanks !!!!

srt8 it was not my intent to start an argument or an opinionated thread by any means. I agree we do need to work together and cooperate to be proactive and make some headway on this matter and if people do not understand the entire issue they shouldn't be making comments that will negatively affect the cause. I just cannot help but respond because people might read some of these misinformed comments/statements and think that they are legitimate when they have little to no connection to the issue of creating a small sanctuary at the bottom of the dam. Im not trying to argue or be abrasive but the last comment by green is a perfect example. "I would hate to want to take my kids out fishing one day and not be able to because the river is closed because of a few bad apples." If this person truly understood the details of the issue at hand and what we are trying to accomplish then they would realize that closing 50-100m of water would not jeopardize ANY fishing opportunities for him or his children. There is 100s of km of water to fish, and to say that a sanctuary such as this would prevent him from taking his kids fishing on the river some day is ludicrous. I just feel that these misinformed statements need to be addressed because they will negatively affect our cause. The next person will come on here and read greens comments and be like ya, I take my kid fishing I dont want the whole river closed, when that is not even a possible outcome of implementing a sanctuary and has no part in this discussion.

DSCF1047.jpg

Shawn and Quinn. I applaude your passion for the conservation of spawning rainbows on the Otter but the wheel does not have to be reinvented if your intention is to stop the bull**** right at the dam at Black Bridge. The legislation is already in place but not posted or enforced worth a **** at that dam, also known in law as a man made obstacle. Just remeber the regs we get are only a summary. The real law is in the fisheries act and it is a long and boring read believe me. Here is an exerpt from the regs we see taken from page 8 if anyone is interested.

GENERAL PROHIBITIONS – IT IS ILLEGAL TO:

Fish within 22.9 m (75 ft.) downstream from the lower entrance to any fishway or canal, obstacle, or any device designed to assist fish around an obstacle.

If you want to form an organization like the Delhi District Anglers did a long time ago then you could have a voice with the MNR, such as it is. Just expect a long frustrating relationship with this cash strapped entity.

I think where this thread went bad was with the naming of the restriction being a sanctuary.

Stick

24-02-11_1200.jpg

"Rivers are living things, sometimes swollen and discoloured, other times thin and anaemic. Spend enough time around a particular river, you learn to read its moods, like a spouse reads a partner."

Gord Ellis ONTARIO OUT OF DOORS

Thanks for the info stick. If it already essentially a sanctuary already then how hard would it be to get a cable and sign put across like quance dam? Obviously it would not eliminate all poachers but it would surely reduce these activities. In addition there would be zero grey area about fishing directly below the dam and things like we are just sucker fishing because there would be no fishing what so ever.

cheers

DSCF1047.jpg

I think most people just got confused by the word sanctuary. Again, if its only 75 meters, how much fishing opportunity is that really taking away? There is tons of river to fish.

That obstable rule is intriguing, and Ive heard lots of different opinions on what the ruling really is. In the end, its not posted with signs, and therefore its not enforced...

DSCF1047.jpg

And also green head, I think every fisherman in Ontario would agree that there arent enough CO's out there. Unfortunately, I dont think that will change no matter what or anyone tries to do, as the big problem would be money....

And the area does get patrolled quite a bit, some people dont realize when they are just in their plain clothes undercover. But there is nothing the CO's can do if people are sucker fishing with roe bags. I just caught a sucker the other day on a roe bag, they will take them, but just as much as they will, so will a trout, if not more. Get what I'm getting at? Just becuase it is patrolled doesnt mean the CO's can do much. This all stirs from seeing lots of **** go down there when the season is closed. Just hoping to paint the picture a bit more.

DSCF1047.jpg

quinner01 i don't think you are getting what i was saying. i can tell you fell very strong on this and that's great !!!but to start sling insults and to try and get post pulled is not going to win over anyone. i was just stating my opinion. TIME TO GROW UP!! not everyone is going to have the same opinion as you sorry.

I've got an easy solution, Get rid of that "dam" all together! It looks like a hazard to begin with. Perhaps remove it slowly from the top down? Has anyone looked into this?

Even dropping the height slightly and properly notching the dam would allow fish to pass alot easier preventing them from stacking up down there. The work itself couldn't be that hard to do.....

Josh that is also being looked into by LPRCA.

boatnonumbers.jpg

I would like to thank Denali custom rods, The Rod Glove and Live Eye Jigs for their support

Greenhead I get exactly what you are saying and I just wanted to explain the issue in more detail because we aren't asking for the entire river to be closed as you stated, only a very very small section that would not jeopardize any fishing opportunities for anyone which was your concern.

Srt8 what do you think about what stick said? Based on that section of the fisheries act, 22.9m downstream from the barrier is technically a sanctuary already right?

cheers

DSCF1047.jpg

I love the idea of removing the dam slowly from the top down Josh, who would give the go ahead for this type of work the mnr , lprca or both? I am sure we could get enough manpower to do the labor, the tough part would be dealing with all of the red tape im sure..

DSCF1047.jpg

If memory serves me it was built to protect the abutments of the railroad bridge.........If I only had a silent chainsaw, or better yet, a rocket launcher!

Stick

24-02-11_1200.jpg

"Rivers are living things, sometimes swollen and discoloured, other times thin and anaemic. Spend enough time around a particular river, you learn to read its moods, like a spouse reads a partner."

Gord Ellis ONTARIO OUT OF DOORS

quote:
Originally posted by Stick

If memory serves me it was built to protect the abutments of the railroad bridge.........If I only had a silent chainsaw, or better yet, a rocket launcher!

That's interesting if it was built by the rail company. Pretty shoddy construction! Would make sense though with ties being the main structural component.

I don't have a silent chainsaw either.........I do have a sharp axe and some big arms though!

Josh

SRT8 what do you think about the info Stick provided from the general prohibitions of the fisheries act stating you cannot fish within 22.9m downstream of an obstacle? Does this not mean the area is already essentially a sanctuary that is not posted?

cheers

DSCF1047.jpg

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks