Where toSteelhead

suckmywake

Hey everyone, on springbreak and i was wondering if the steelheading is good any where. My self and the old guy want to get out and try, just beginners. Any one have good suggestions?
thanks!1

All of the rivers will have bows in them now. There will be a lot of fish in the holes waiting for a rain. If you are a beginner I would just throw out a roebag with a few floaters in them, or half a worm with a floater for colour and inflate the worm to keep it off bottom. Set-up your rod with straight 6 lb., or 8 lb. mainline with a 4 or 6 lb. leader. Use mono for the mainline and fluoro. for the leaders. I just use straight 6 lb. fluoro. mainly. Have a small swivel up 18-24" from hook, and a small egg sinker up from that so the fish won't feel the weight of the sinker as he takes the bait. If you are going to bottom fish like this, don't do it where everyone else is drift fishing. Good luck

Okay, great! Thanks for all your help! We are located outside of woodstock, I think we will be heading up to Port albert, Thursday morning. Will let you know results!!
Thanks Again

Didnt end up getting steelhead, ended up getting brookies though. I don't keep any fish unless its walleye out of the lake, but regardless this guys were beautiful in the river. Will post pics if figure out how lol.

Actually theres about 150' at the mouth you can fish, that's it......good job on the specks, FYI they are out of season till the 4th Saturday in april just about everywhere in SW ontario, careful....

Josh

You can only fish at the mouth at Port Albert before the season opens. The maitland and bayfield rivers are open from hwy. 21 to the lake year round.

A good idea to maybe read the regulations book, and if you have already, then re read it to sharpen your regulations knowledge. ;)

005.jpg

For sure Quinner.

The regs get tweaked every year it seems so you really need to get a copy of the current year's regs, and look at the reg's closely,..., very closely, 'cause there will be changes.

WR

oh wow, i am completely sorry about that. and the brookies werent out of a river in Southern Ontario, we made a trip up north to the cottage.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks