What are folk's seeing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mick, my 8 point wasn't spectacular, good size just never bothered with a pic. looking back now, should have, got pic's of all my other deer over the yrs. Old guy's need record's of yrs past, necessary when telling the gran-kid's, " back in my day"
Pretty sure I can get our St.T gang to send me a pic of their meat pole, especially the 10, sure they'll be more than glad to put it in my face? Like you said in another post, switch it up season to season, I hunted home place here, Ingersoll, due to old guy laziness, blind 10 minute walk from couch and loader bucket, rather than morning\evening drive each day. Guy that I've hunted with for 30yrs, so you can imagine the rivery, couldn't wait to move in my best blind down St T way, and shoot a 8 opening morn, he's just to damm happy??
We hunted 92c, exclusively, for ever, 80's threw 90's, Union area, always did well. My personal best came from there, a impressive 9, (would have been 10, but 1 broken tine), had a horn mount made of him. Could you run that measuring by me in detail, many have asked if I had it scored, now I'm curious?
Most we have got over the yrs are typical, with a couple exceptions. Buddy got a 10 Belmont area, nice big deer, head gear was webbed similar to like a moose, it's cool? Another that came from 92c yrs back, typ 4 out one side, kinda a club\ball out the other side with 6 little points on it. Don't know if he kept it or had a exorcism done?
I got a 11 here Ingersoll area about a decade ago, smaller size deer, and rack spread\size was smaller than your hand's. Still counted as a 11 for the beer pool, although they called it a mutant?
As for trespassing, endless incidents and stories over the yrs, guess it's partially why I chose home turf here this yr. I can kinda see rd here with bino's from my stand here at home, everyday last week, same vehicles crawling up and down rd every morn and eve, local bunch, but if my truck is home, they stay out, we've had word's before? Sad though I have police my turf, rather than hunt long established turf with bud's?

hey can't miss you can field judge a set of whitetail deer antlers and determine if its worth taking the time to get them measured up....you want good and heavy mass with good width between the mainbeams ...also long tines on 4 to 5 per side for the typical category score card...check out boone and crockett measuring instructions to start and compare pope and young measurement instructions that is very similiar...get a note pad and right them down and add them all up to see if you have reached the bare minimum for record keeping...give it a try...hey look at your biggest to date and try a measurement and see where you are with that...hey i am still learning...my elk measures over 330+ inches and yet to measure my caribou I just got ...my 10 pointer last season was just under 120 inches

As far as pictures its nice to take your digital camera and or cell phone in your little pack for your week of deer huntin... get your buddy to take a few pics with your nice buck right there at the kill site before you guys get in there and field dress it.don't forget to cut the tongue off if its hanging out...lol..it only takes a few minutes and it helps tell the the story behid your success and its nice to have them pics for a lasting memory...I myself really enjoy looking back on some of my photos of some of my most rewarding hunting sucesss...you can always get a few favorites and enlarge them for a frame and put them in your little trophy room...I have a few nice animals from this season alone where I have caped and took the hide in for 2 shoulder mounts for my 1 elk and 1 caribou....its a nice bonus and with 2 freezers brimming with fresh meat...it feels great

Odds say Mick that if they are growing weed , trespassing , poaching deer and turkeys etc etc . , there's a good chance they may be looking for some early stocking stuffers also . And what poacher wouldn't want a new trail camera under there tree at Xmas time that didn't cost them a dime . Don't waste good money on them . Maybe a rusty old loaded bear trap in their crop ,might give someone a "Leg Up" on that situation . You'd think they'd get the point then ! What are they gonna say when authorities show up . It's " Entrapment " . Somebody set them up and " I walked right into it "! Wasn't there in planting season ! Ahh ... Some days I crack me up . It's amazing how much of this stuff goes on with poaching , trespassing etc . MNR or police don't have the man power to be everywhere and they know it to . See guys on the relatives property all the time . Everybody supposedly knows the owners or have permission . But how many do ? And when they are reported , there's always another to take their place . Just careful when you deal with it as I have had people stealing my stuff in the past , called police into it ( and not saying it always happens ) but because I'm frustrated from having this happen on more than one occasion with no resolve , suddenly I'm treated as the bad guy for suggesting , I'm better off taking care of it myself . Best you can hope with a dope grower is his stash gets stolen a couple years , say by a poacher and then the 2 of them can " Hash it out " !

Gent's, you can't set bear trap's or clay-more mines, well I guess you can but chances are you'll get much more time than the trespasser? I hit a wire strung guitar tight strung between two tree's, many yr's ago, on a blind rd? Local land owner had some real problem's back there as it lead to a couple of his field's, real bad dumping garbage and partying. But it was a twp ship owned rd, dead end rd ? Why I was there, it also lead to my hunting turf and the creek was to high for my normal access. Got the quad wowed enough that a few stitches fixed my scratch, cost him fines of 5G +, and a record, your damm right I called him in, what if it had been one of the punk kid's on that road riding their off rd's back there, yey, maybe even if they shouldn't? Tractor path, to the throat wire and the rest of the role of wire and staples still left on his wagon kind of gave it away, older gent just trying to protect his turf, felt bad for him, but maybe saved some kid.
Maybe before you start ranting about setting bear trap's, think of what your saying? Being a land owner now, I have gone to fist a cuff's to keep my turf, mine, but there is a line?

There was one ol man that used rock salt with a light charge in his flintlock on the out skirts but in the city and to keep things off his property including humans...us growing up as kids were scared to death to even go near the shack..

I would say it is dangerous to take the law in to your own hands...especially tresspassing..I think taking pictures and getting licence plate numbers to forward to our OPP for tresspassers is the best option. If you do get to confront the tresppasers I would be extremely careful especially if they are carrying firearms. Thats my common sense approach and others have theres.. so good luck with that.

hey you mentioned bear traps.. well...Is far as bear traps they are legal to use in Quebec for taken bears, you need the proper licensing to use and take a Quebec bear with a bear trap...I personally shot a trophy dry sow that managed to get her front paw out of a bear trap. Her paw at the first joint heeled up and the punctures through the skin to the bone were unbelievable. This bear folded her paw under and walked with a limp...the claws grew to be very large as they did not wear down from walking like the other 3 paws...that added character to the animal.. so I got her beautiful spring hide made into the classic bear skin rug...what a beauty...anyway I took 2 black bears and thats it ..I am done with hunting black bear, especially over bait...its not for me..for others I don't care as they need to be managed big time here in parts of northern Ontario as they are over populated because of Mike Harris takin the spring bear hunt out years ago...now spring bear huntin is back for a 5 year pilot project for bear management. so if you want a nice black bear go up next spring and take one.
there are black bears closer then you think...we had one here in London a couple seasons ago and the London police Unit come and dispatched the bear right beside St. Micheals school after the school students were evacuated..and that was a pretty big black bear..

Just kidding guys . Although , you gotta admit it would definitely get there attention . Taking the license plates and maybe a polaroid or 2 might be a better approach . Just don't ask them to smile for the camera !

In our instance the cops nor the MNR gave a shit about doing anything due to the backlash they would get for enforcing Canada's law on our oh so Canadian Indians.

Correct me if i am wrong Tom but our natives cannot tresspass on private property...Please correct me if i am wrong. They have there own land on there reserves to kill everthing they want...and they can't get away with coming on some farmers property and shoot a beef cow or anything else. I have traveled in some of the reserves and they all stick together for there fishing and huntin on the reserve which they call home...this is how we have kept the peace and it seems to work what i have seen and experienced.

Just kidding guys . Although , you gotta admit it would definitely get there attention . Taking the license plates and maybe a polaroid or 2 might be a better approach . Just don't ask them to smile for the camera !
Come to think of it . I heard a guy a few months back had kids running their dirt bikes on his property . Story goes , he jumped in his truck and ran over one out in the field . I guess not all land owners are the same . We had people out trespassing on are farm all the time . Kids tearing up the land with motocross bikes , running over newly planted trees with snowmobiles , jack lighting deer . You name it . Just have to learn to let it go sometimes . On the flip side , I had an uncle out sledding at night , a farmer (ah the good ole days ) . Add a little fire water and decided to go stir the neighbors horses up that were out and ended up getting the worst of it when he got cloths hangered off his sled . He survived . A bit of a prankster in his day . Just didn't see that one coming . We don't own a farm anymore . But you know as a farmer , there is a lot of hard work put into keeping up what's yours and usually among local farmers near by , everyone usually tries to help each other out , whether its work related , repairs , borrowing , permission to ... or just keeping an eye on things . Although you always get that one that say , would shoot your dog when it gets off its leash and onto his property . Then leave it in the pond and say "it must a drowned ". Ya . Not all farmers are the same . And trespassing . These days , it's pretty hard to get permission to hunt or fish on private land (but it doesn't hurt to ask as not everyone is the same ) , which is why a lot of people have either stopped hunting or have reverted to hunting public land . The reason . Mostly because of liability on their own G D land . Land they own ! I have been turned down from property of farmers who let me hunt there for many years . And not because of something I did . Just because they don't want to get sued . And I respect each and every one of them . Most likely it would be from someone who never owned land , or had respect for anybodies land and wouldn't know enough to ask a farmer if he could , so the said farmer could grant him permission and remind him to " stay on the paths or away from..." cause ya never know what's out there when ya don't follow the rules and respect the land and land owner . This is an old topic guys and it's most appreciated by farmers ,who receive help with this problem from others as it will never totally go away .

hey salty thats a nice big deer and being your first is remarkable...my first deer was in 1988 shot um with my new Thompson Centre 50 cal ...it a was a 4 point fork horn good size healthy buck at over a 100 yd one shot kill.. so i was happy with that one....back then we only had a 4 day muzzleloader hunt first week in november...I went on to become a deer hunter for the annual event with are black powder controled hunts here in WMU 92 and my area was huntin the sparta area along catfish creek in 92D.

I grew up down by the st lawrence river area 62 A them big guys where and still are few and far between I have been playing cat and mouse with a huge 12 point sence bow season opened he will only come 75 80 yards then drift off into the corn it's frustrating but oh so much fun as well

Correct me if i am wrong Tom but our natives cannot tresspass on private property...Please correct me if i am wrong. They have there own land on there reserves to kill everthing they want...and they can't get away with coming on some farmers property and shoot a beef cow or anything else. I have traveled in some of the reserves and they all stick together for there fishing and huntin on the reserve which they call home...this is how we have kept the peace and it seems to work what i have seen and experienced.

The problem is we dont have government paid employees who will enforce our laws. Turdeau and that Wyndyke have told them all to be soft on Indians because life is so hard for them.

The problem is we dont have government paid employees who will enforce our laws. Turdeau and that Wyndyke have told them all to be soft on Indians because life is so hard for them.
Just another broken spoke in a wheel that won't be fixed .

Hey Tom if you got tresspassers right now on your property pick up the phone and talk to an OPP officer to come out and talk to you ...I know for a fact the officer will get out his note pad and give you an incident number and his business card. Thats how it works. You have every right to come forward to make a complaint and make an incident report. I would go right down to the OPP office for your region. You need to do your part. The police don't know about your tresspassers until you tell them. If you want it to stop then do what you have to do to try and stop it. Try to get and give the officer all the specific details you can.

All well enough Mick . But a buddy of mine goes out on his farm to confront some who are carrying firearms and asks them to leave or he is calling the police , the response was " Go ahead and call them . We'll just come back and burn your barn down !" What do you do then ? This is an exception to the rule . Not all native Americans are the same as with any other cultures and you get that kind of problem with some people in all cultures . These types just don't respect anything or anyone . My cousin has had several instances over the years with posted property as a direct result of people who either don't ask , don't care and don't take NO for an answer ! Last year a car full had pulled into their drive way , just got out and proceeded to enter their bush . They where called back and politely asked to leave at which point , they got in the car backed out and parked around the corner to go back in . Keep in mind my cousins are getting older and his wife who was alone had to get in her vehicle , go around to them and had to literally threaten them with the police . This time , they reluctantly left . But what about next time ? And it really doesn't matter who's in power as this has gone on for centuries ie. cattle rustlers in the 1800's , horse thieves , people illegally harvesting game on property land barons owned in the feudal days . Although in that case , I can see a reason for it as it was just a time of greed and the poor had nothing to survive on . Sorry , that just slipped out . But you can see the frustration as there is no real answer . And most everything that happens off the res. is usually handled let say " in a different matter " as there is a lot of gray lines . I remember asking a C.O. about things concerning status in one circumstance . He started to give an explanation and then added not to be quoted and to contact someone there to clarify for just that same reason . The response Tom got involving the OPP is probably the only legal one and even if these guys are contacted ., still have my doubts it won't get tried again but maybe just at a different time or address .

Last edited:
Trespassers...the price one pays for urban development. There isn't 1 square inch of land around that isn't owned by somebody and the dip-s#*ts are going on your property whether you like it or not...it's just too easy. I feel for all you land (brush)owners in Ont.!

Hey Tom if you got tresspassers right now on your property pick up the phone and talk to an OPP officer to come out and talk to you ...I know for a fact the officer will get out his note pad and give you an incident number and his business card. Thats how it works. You have every right to come forward to make a complaint and make an incident report. I would go right down to the OPP office for your region. You need to do your part. The police don't know about your tresspassers until you tell them. If you want it to stop then do what you have to do to try and stop it. Try to get and give the officer all the specific details you can.

Um 3 officers were on the scene and didn't give a shit. We're even too afraid to investigate their firearms too.

yep just what I thought now you have to go to the OPP regional office with a friend and ask to speak to the sergant...thats your next step..

take your photo ID like a drivers licence and with a cool head and all the info you got..
thats how it works..you go up in rank and then if that doesn't work you go to your local MP's office...you want to get things done and get results you have to climb the right tree..been there done that lots..

Last edited:
Mick, this is hard to say, but I some what agree with Win Tom, (and he and I never agree?) Like you, or so it sound's, I insist on good customer service for anything that involves business's that my cash goes to, directly or in-directly. But I also agree with you, if the service the OPP's on site is in question, always go up the food chain of command, only way it will ever be corrected. Management, be it OPP, Bell, Hydro ect, higher you take the issue, better the resolve, management hate issue's, just good luck climbing that ladder. I'm old, retired and bitchy, I enjoy the challenge, were many other's may not.
Can't entirely blame the police on site of any Native, Land Owner, trespass disputes either, have discussed this off the record with many Officer's, MNR and Police. Their direction is convict-able offence's, anything else reflex poorly on their agency, and now a days times can be seen as politically incorrect? Win Tom, it's not that the enforcement agency's are afraid to charge, but rather, in a way, are doing the rest of us tax payer's a faver? And although it's un-written, this is the direction they are given. The law's, and treaty right's, are so vague and politically driven, most charges are thrown out of court, and I realize it doesn't solve the issue's, but taking in court cost, lawyer's, Officer's time, ect, spending 50G to win a $300 trespass fine kinda has to be let go? not saying it's right.
It comes down to needing black and white land owner, native right's, and enforcement regulations, don't for-see any political party, lawyer's group's, or enforcement agency jumping on this, at the cost of their bottom line??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks