Fishing Report Went to the promised land...

HTHM

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
So, I was able to go to our local hotbed of walleye fishing today, Port Burwell.
I did NOT have a good day. Managed to get 7 colours of lead core wrapped around the prop of my kicker, worse that that I lost my genuine Kangaroo skin hat at 53 feet of water. If found please return it. It has sentimental value.
I got out just as the lake was kicking up, 2:30 pm. I tried to fish solo in 3 - 4 footers, never a good time, or idea. On the way back in, I misread the buoys, and went to the east of the channel and managed to just avoid grounding out. Won't make that mistake again.
OH, I got &*%(*&*@&^(&@!% skunked on top of it all.
The fellow who owns the launch allowed me to sit on his patio, have a beer and decompress. That was kind of him.
Will I return? Heck ya, got to go a long way to out-stubborn this Dutchman.

Wow that is an unfortunate day.

I noticed coming back in the last trip that the deepest red bouy was way out of place.

Is it still way East and shallower or has it been moved back where it should be? 🌻

Wow that is an unfortunate day.

I noticed coming back in the last trip that the deepest red bouy was way out of place.

Is it still way East and shallower or has it been moved back where it should be? 🌻

That red buoy is now way North East of where it should be. It would definitely make navigating the channel difficult for people unfamiliar with it.

So, I was able to go to our local hotbed of walleye fishing today, Port Burwell.
I did NOT have a good day. Managed to get 7 colours of lead core wrapped around the prop of my kicker, worse that that I lost my genuine Kangaroo skin hat at 53 feet of water. If found please return it. It has sentimental value.
I got out just as the lake was kicking up, 2:30 pm. I tried to fish solo in 3 - 4 footers, never a good time, or idea. On the way back in, I misread the buoys, and went to the east of the channel and managed to just avoid grounding out. Won't make that mistake again.
OH, I got &*%(*&*@&^(&@!% skunked on top of it all.
The fellow who owns the launch allowed me to sit on his patio, have a beer and decompress. That was kind of him.
Will I return? Heck ya, got to go a long way to out-stubborn this Dutchman.
Glad you made it in safe. Sorry to hear about your day.

:( that sounds as much fun as my first marriage... If its bumpy and i'm solo i try to set myself up to troll with the waves... I sure would like a I-pilot system...
I don't fish alone anymore but the I-pilot allows me hands free control to set up, net etc. never having to touch the steering wheel. I gave up on perch fishing in the Central Basin but the spot anchor is also fantastic over throwing and hauling anchors making it so easy to move around when perch fishing. It's by far the single best investment I have ever made that keeps on giving enjoyable outings. 😍

PXL_20220907_134949841.jpg

I don't fish alone anymore but the I-pilot allows me hands free control to set up, net etc. never having to touch the steering wheel. I gave up on perch fishing in the Central Basin but the spot anchor is also fantastic over throwing and hauling anchors making it so easy to move around when perch fishing. It's by far the single best investment I have ever made that keeps on giving enjoyable outings. 😍

View attachment 78831
I have a Motorguide XI5, and yes, it is a gamechanger for us solo fishermen.

After we lost the gentlemen with the striper out of burwell that was found in Ohio last year I’m real selective about going out solo. I was out yesterday as well and the wind really picked up mid afternoon for a bit. I’d say not beaching the boat on the way in and not having any problems with the boat solo is a win. There is always another day.

We ended up with a 2 man limit but we had to work for it, fair to say us regular Erie guys have been spoiled rotten with excellent fishing for so long it’s hard to imagine having a skunk or to work for it!

8 of our fish came off a dipsy, with a green and silver apex agitator with a green and silver spoon. Had to think outside the box on our rig. Morning reports seem to had been a lot better.

Cheers man, it’s always a great day even it if only to be out on the water.

Glad your motor is OK. Too bad about the day, but good that nothing was damaged beyond a spool of line!

And thanks for posting a skunking- seeing them every once in a while makes guys like me think more realistically. I always joke to my young boys that we’re gonna catch 6/person, and then we fall way way short of that! For every post of limits there’s prob 10 guys who caught a few and didn’t post ;)

I have a Motorguide XI5, and yes, it is a gamechanger for us solo fishermen.
Solo fishermen @HTHM and “Thumbs way UP!! for I am one as well,unless it’s with family only. 😉 I have a 2007 Minn Kota Terrova 101 lbs.,with an I-pilot that came with my boat back then,and I just “Love It!!” 🚤🎣🐟👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_3064.jpeg
    IMG_3064.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 13
I was in the promise land yesterday and brought home a few fish then took a ride from Glasgow to Erieau along the shoreline

Attachments

• 20230826_170814.jpg
    20230826_170814.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 16
Glad all is okay. I don't like going fishing by myself anymore either. When I was younger, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Unfortunately, on some good fishing days I have to find something else to do, like work : ( I don't mind hunting by myself, that's okay, but still more fun when someone else joins.

I have the iPilot too, but I find that when it's wavy the autopilot can't keep a heading. The waves seem to throw off the GPS or gyro or whatever it is and the unit turns in any random direction. It works fine to manually steer the boat, but it's the autopilot that is the most useful.

Spot lock has saved my back, no more pitching anchors for perch or whatever, thank goodness for that.

I have the iPilot too, but I find that when it's wavy the autopilot can't keep a heading. The waves seem to throw off the GPS or gyro or whatever it is and the unit turns in any random direction. It works fine to manually steer the boat, but it's the autopilot that is the most useful.
Hold the N button down until the circle goes away. Much more reliable directional heading.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks