VHF Radio D Class

@hvyhaul my pleasure craft does have a license
It has not been registered tho
That’s where you choose the name for it.

It is licensed as a pleasure craft by the previous owner, the name is painted in script on it but I have not found it in a database anywhere. So likely not part of the system.

I'd take the time to call and office an speak with someone to make sure you don't run down any dead end rabbit holes.

I've always got straight forward answers and direction when I've called the likes of TC.

@hvyhaul my boat is brand new this summer from extreme marine
It was licensed when I purchased it which gives it the numbers on the side of the boat.
To get a registered name for the boat
It needs to be registered this I am 100% certain of.
pleasure craft license and registration are two different things.

My mistake. I should have looked.
Below is what we have. My friend got hit near pottahawk in Sept by a boat/ The person did not transfer the boat license to their own name .Trying to save a few bucks. OPP and coast guard charged the guy with multiply charges and my friends insurance company is suing him on top of that.

1611507434274.png

@hvyhaul my boat is brand new this summer from extreme marine
It was licensed when I purchased it which gives it the numbers on the side of the boat.
To get a registered name for the boat
It needs to be registered this I am 100% certain of.
pleasure craft license and registration are two different things.

Correct but you can slap any name on your licensed craft you want....that does not mean it's a 'registered name' though. Don't overthink it for your MMSI paperwork just put a name in the box or it or leave it blank, you do NOT need to register your boat. You can search anyone's MMSI on the Industry Canada site at: https://sd.ic.gc.ca/pls/engdoc_anon/mmsi_search.ship

Here's what shows up on mine, it has no mention of whether it's licensed or registered but mine is licensed like 99.9% of us:

1611508207863.png

Last edited:
@hvyhaul i hear what you’re saying
Just figured it was one of the government circle of fees to stay legal lol

One other thing to remember once you get an MMSI #; if you ever sell the radio, make sure you cancel the MMSI number. If the new radio owner hits the distress button, they'll be out looking for your boat not his unless it gets changed.

@G.Mech thanks that helps
Sitting here stressing that I have to get all this registration done before I could apply for the mmsi # hahaha

so everytime you use the radio you go by G.Mech then?

@G.Mech thanks that helps
Sitting here stressing that I have to get all this registration done before I could apply for the mmsi # hahaha

so everytime you use the radio you go by G.Mech then?
The very odd time I actually transmit on the radio, I do use that name since we don't have station licenses with call numbers assigned. Truthfully I only turn it on to monitor for other people in distress when weather is bad, if I'm way out in the lake somewhere, or I'm sinking (in which case I grab my handheld and flare bag). I can't stand the chatter on 6-8 while I'm fishing.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks