VHF Radio D Class

I am just passing on the facts as they are. The fines are very steep, and while I doubt anyone will ever get fined but if you see authorities on the water, you best turn the radio off if you are not licensed. The fines for using a radio (turning it on) without a license is $5000, if you misuse the radio, swear on it, or provide misinformation or a false mayday for example, run with your mic open blocking the channel you may be facing jail. Even sharing the conversation you had with someone on the radio with another person is illegal. I was surprised on how serious they take this, and after watching a few videos showing why, I get it.

You can take a online VHF radio course on-line and get licensed. Then you have no issue using the radio for help or communication. I have just started the course.

So I am guessing you do the self study course but what about exam...I learn better on own time as I can take in the info that is important 😁

Take the course and buy yourself a DSC radio and put the handheld in your tackle box for a back up. It is against the law to transmit on a marine radio with out a license anyway. My last radio would let me talk across Lake Erie on a good day from Port Glasgow to Cleveland. If you do get into trouble all you have to do is push the DSC button and the Coast Guard is alerted. You do have to set up your radio first.

The test and license is part of the course through the power squadron

My wife and I are doing it together. That way if I have a heart attack on the water she can decide on tossing me over or calling the Coast Guard -

Going and sitting in a set time class doesn't work for me so this online method is the tipping stone for me.

I'll enroll in the near future and become legal prior to the 2021 Erie season.

Basically, DSC is a button you push in case of emergency. It will send a distress signal to a monitored channel by the coast guard with your gps location. The MMSI is a number issued to you upon request that is unique to your boat. When you apply you will include details about the boat size, colour etc.
Your local Power Squadron does VHF training. https://www.cps-ecp.ca/
Legally, you are meant to get a license and you can be fined for operating a VHF without one - although it would appear from the chatter on the radio that many acquired their license by watching the 1970's movie "Convoy!"

Be sure to do a radio check every day. Its the only way you can know you are effectively transmitting. I had to replace the diaphragm in my mike after about 5, 6 years.
I've been looking into radios this week, there are some decent sales at Radioworld....I'm leaning towards a GPS unit so I don't have to hook up to my graphs. Is NMEA necessary? I've read up on it but don't think I need to network the VHF. My graphs are networked to each other but I think that's different. Thanks for the info.

hey don't forget the best radio... on my boat fishing on lake erie central and western basin is my FM radio with high reception marine antenna..

When it comes to the radio we tune into WMMS Cleveland Rock station on 107 Rock..others as well..I remember one trip a few of us boats were fishing tight on an inshore reef catching pics..well one boat I know the guy...he had his tunes just cranked same station WMMS...lol..that was funny and he was by himself..anyway we all limited out..

I clearly remember On a clear night anchored off the (Long)Point and spending the night sleeping on my boat..we tuned into WMMS ROCK with incredible long distance reception..
hey the best part sleeping overnight was being there ready to fish and catch the salmon at first light before anybody else showed up...lol...first light fishing kings is comparable to owen sound first light biters on new moon ..at that time the end of long point was the best sport fishing on Lake Erie..my Gf and I spent specific weekends out there over several seasons..

Remember the reason why you bought a boat in the first place..relax and enjoy your time on the water, if your scared off choppy lake erie and or going offshore..there are better places to go..

I've been looking into radios this week, there are some decent sales at Radioworld....I'm leaning towards a GPS unit so I don't have to hook up to my graphs. Is NMEA necessary? I've read up on it but don't think I need to network the VHF. My graphs are networked to each other but I think that's different. Thanks for the info.
I believe all vhf will be need to be attached via nmea for coordinate functions.

Sorry that is incorrect, i just networked mine but that was to get other functions to work.

Last edited:
I believe all vhf will be need to be attached via nmea for coordinate functions.

Sorry that is incorrect, i just networked mine but that was to get other functions to work.
Most of the newer radios have built in GPS so no need to network for positioning. Makes life much easier because the old NMEA connections could be a pain in the arse.

just grabbed this marine radio from angling outfitters for $299
Came with 8’ antenna and the ratchet mount

sucks not being able to look at them all
And properly shop.
I just took what they said was on special 👍

Now to register for the course so I can use it without getting a strip torn off my arse

1DC9BC36-596E-4B38-A1B7-A6B463183B31.jpeg

@Derkd9 Looks great let me know how you make out with the mast. The only thing holding me back is where the heck do I put a 8' pole.

@Wildfire yah it’s huge
Didn’t think about that, but I’m sure I’ll figure it out
Thinking put it just in front of the windshield where it can fold down the side of the boat

@Wildfire - not sure how big your boat is, but mine is a 176. Mounted at the windshield, it folds down perfectly with room to spare for the mooring or travel cover

1611434252615.png

ya Derkd good retailer to buy from if you have an issue or something goes wrong...

just grabbed this marine radio from angling outfitters for $299
Came with 8’ antenna and the ratchet mount

sucks not being able to look at them all
And properly shop.
I just took what they said was on special 👍

Now to register for the course so I can use it without getting a strip torn off my arse

View attachment 36388
Derkd9, Cobra Marine is a very popular brand with many of my clients. Haven't heard one negative comment about the Cobra yet. Think'n ya made a good choice Derkd9... and a great price! 🤞🤞

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks