VHF Radio D Class

Basically, DSC is a button you push in case of emergency. It will send a distress signal to a monitored channel by the coast guard with your gps location. The MMSI is a number issued to you upon request that is unique to your boat. When you apply you will include details about the boat size, colour etc.
Your local Power Squadron does VHF training. https://www.cps-ecp.ca/
Legally, you are meant to get a license and you can be fined for operating a VHF without one - although it would appear from the chatter on the radio that many acquired their license by watching the 1970's movie "Convoy!"

Be sure to do a radio check every day. Its the only way you can know you are effectively transmitting. I had to replace the diaphragm in my mike after about 5, 6 years.
Which form on that link is the application form I would want to obtain an MMSI number?

7.2.1 Ship station MMSI​

To obtain a ship station MMSI, you must complete form AB. Select Not Licensed for a vessel that does not require a radio licence and that is fitted with only a VHF/DSC radio. Select Licensed for a vessel that requires a radio licence or is fitted with additional equipment.

Your vessel does not require one - you are choosing to install 1 voluntarily

The Power Squadron now issues restricted operator cards. In my case I will be requesting a replacement card as I obtained my license many years ago.
I'll wait until I purchase & register a D Class radio.
What is the difference between the Green & Brown ROC card?

Jeez they asking for vessel name to fill out that form
What if your boat doesn’t have a name???
I just got my boat brand new and they licensed the vessel for me and I never got to chose a name!

Jeez they asking for vessel name to fill out that form
What if your boat doesn’t have a name???
I just got my boat brand new and they licensed the vessel for me and I never got to chose a name!

My boat came with a name. I've never used it.

I'd say make one up if you need to.

If no name, leave blank. You would have to use your boat name as your call sign. Be sure to put your hull # in tho

Not sure where you are taking the course, but all these are honestly questions you may wish to direct to the administrator. Even though i know the answer to your question from when i applied 8 years ago, I have no idea if that has changed, or if the size of your boat (or someone else's who may be following this thread); may be different As a lot of folks seem to have decided to move forward with this, it is probably best if each person gets the answer that applies to their circumstance, rather than one off us making an assumption

Oh this is for registering the radio for the mmsi number.
I watched all the videos last night
I just have to do the practice exam and then book the actual exam after I do some practicing

i have come to the conclusion that my boat was licensed by the dealer but I need to register the vessel before I can choose A name.
Which I am now working on that application and pay another $250
Hahahaha they get yah at every corner!

I registered our boat on the Govt page. There is no charge for that.

The $250.00 is some third party shit. I got taken for $200.00 that way when registering a HST number

Make sure you follow the correct route through TC.

You're registering a Pleasure Craft, not a Vessel.

Pleasure Craft Licensing

From the link

No fee

When you’ve gathered your supporting documents, you may apply for a pleasure craft license online or through the mail.

Here's something else re: the MMSI number

What is the MMSI number on boats?​

To make a digital call each radio must have an identity, a 9-digit Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) number. Your owner's manual will tell you more about this feature and how to make a DSC call to another boat or to a shore station that has DSC capability. MMSI numbers are assigned, free of charge, by Industry Canada.

There shouldn't a charge for this identity number either.

That's what I did in Sept. They emailed the paperwork. Printed it out and had it laminated

@hvyhaul my pleasure craft does have a license
It has not been registered tho
That’s where you choose the name for it.

@hvyhaul you said your boat came with a name so the previous owner would have registered it so when you bought it you would have just transferred the registration over to your name

my boat never been registered before therefore it does not have a name.

the boat needs a name to register the radio with an MMSI number.
since the mmsi number is for distress calls it needs to be tied to a registered vessel with a name

Oh this is for registering the radio for the mmsi number.
i have come to the conclusion that my boat was licensed by the dealer but I need to register the vessel before I can choose A name.
Which I am now working on that application and pay another $250
Hahahaha they get yah at every corner!
You do not register your vessel, that is whole different thing. A pleasure craft is normally licensed and cannot be both licensed and registered. Everybody refers to 'registering' but technically that is incorrect, they really should be saying 'licensing'. If you have the numbers on the bow, your boat is licensed. Registration is normally for big yachts and commercial vessels not smaller pleasure craft. For the mmsi form you can just make up a name like Derkd9 or something.

Pat's Boating has a pretty good explanation of the two:https://boating.ncf.ca/license.html

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks