Off Topic Tow vehicle

@mick if you do replace your truck with a new F-150 definitely go with the v8 again. I've had the v8(2015) and v6(2017) and the cost savings offered by the v6 are minimal. The v6 does the job but does not impress. Was towing 5,000 lb load on the 401 over the weekend. It was stop and ......wait for it...go.

Thanks @Crummybun for your first hand experience with the difference from the V8 to the V6 cylinder...I experienced the difference as well...Ya my classic 5.4 litre 8 cylinder triton engine in my F150 4X4 has good power & exceleration.. giving me good towing performance needed on HWYs like the 401..It also tows my custom 2 quad heavy duty trailer nicely...

thanks for letting me know Ford offers a V8 engine option...well thats something for me to consider when the time comes to replace my truck..

back when I bought my triton 5.4 litre 8 cylinder ..they offered a smaller 8 cylinder 4.6 litre for a $1000 savings...I spent the extra on the 5.4 litre and happy i did..

@Porkpie I havent gone on any long distance trips as of yet towing my boat. I usually tow it every weekend (weather/wind permitting) to either the inner bay or Burwell from my home in Woodstock.

Thanks. My longer drives are generally 2 hours but I’ll likely be leaving the boat at a friends place near Burwell for a month or two this summer and thought it would be nice to save a few bucks. I think I’ll put the hitch on and see how it goes with the Venza. If I’m not happy I can always get use my truck.

Last edited:
I've had my Crestliner a long time... Fully rigged its around 2500lbs... I've towed it with a 01 Dodge Dakota 3.9l, and 4 full size Silverado's with V8's... I run around 12-15l/100km with the 5.3l V8 towing...

My best advice is get the heaviest vehicle your budget will allow... It scares me with these light SUV's towing a boat like mine... Unless you have trailer brakes your asking for trouble... The push factor alone... :/ Even with the truck I leave big cushion spots behind other vehicles... Take your time... Play safe...13513

I have had a 2007, 20012, 2015 and currently a 2018 AWD Ford Edge and have had zero issues towing my rig that weighs 2500 lbs. On vacation I have loaded extras on where it added at least another 500 lbs. still no problem. Whether you go with an Edge or an Explorer make sure you get the tow package which gives you besides the hitch and 4-pin wiring an upgraded radiator, battery & alternator and engine & transmission coolers as well as trailer sway control.

View attachment 13449
:oops: WOW!! Nice boat & setup @Wave Runner :D ;)??

Where are you folks getting your rigs weighed? I guess you'd have to weigh your vehicle with the boat, then just the vehicle to get the boat/trailer weight?

To get tongue weight maybe pull the vehicle off the scale and weigh the boat and subtract from total boat weight?

Do people do this? I'm sure this is better than eyeballing it and say "yeah I think she'll pull it" but you'd need a pretty patient scale operator.

I used to run a scale at a grain elevator and I'd do the odd weight for folks when things weren't busy but stay the hell out of there during harvest!!

Last edited:
What sort of distance are you towing? I’ve been thinking of using my 6cyl AWD Venza to tow my 18 foot Starcraft from time to time. My trailer has brakes and the venza is heavy so I thought it might work.
The Venza 3.5 L is rated to pull 3500 lbs. so as long as your rig isn't over 2500 lbs. total you will be fine. I towed my 2500 lb. rig with a 2001 V6 Highlander and 2 different V6 Sienna vans before the Edge and they worked reasonably well. Although they didn't have quite the grunt or torque of my Edge EcoBoost or the good tow package it offers, they all had aftermarket hitches that don't compare at all. I've towed mine with the Edge all over northern Ontario up to 7 hour trips even in the hottest heat of summer with no issues at all.

Where are you folks getting your rigs weighed?
I weigh mine with a fish scale... just kidding! LOL! I get my trailers weighed at Agris Co-operative Ltd in Dutton but any place that sells gravel etc. that have a scale will weigh you and give you a print out slip for future reference. :)

Most dumps have a scale. Most will weigh it for free if you just want to know weight, and may charge a couple bucks for a printout. Waverunner, all of the V6 Venzas are equipped with HD transmission coolers etc.

Hi @Wave Runner just curious if you remember off hand what your boat trailer weighed...my calkins 18 ft boat trailer is somthing similiar to yours

I would like to weigh my custom built double quad trailer...its heavy...duty..ya its built to bring home a moose..lol

Last edited:
Think we better clarify. I have a 2015 ford f 150 with a 5.0 v8. The V6 ecco boost is far superior in every regard except sound output. My nephew has the ecco boost and his truck has far more power torque and better fuel economy even when towing same boat.Hence why it has max tow rating of the fords. The 5.0 does the job well but the ecco boost is better. Reliability has not been a issue. The ecco best will run circles around any Hemi powered truck as well. Its faster more powerful and better on fuel than my 5.7 tundra as well. I suspect you are referring to the small natural v6 and not the ecco boost. Now one issue I do know is the new aluminum body Ford like mine are too light in the rear end. Its does not tow as well as my steel bodied 2010 i had with the 5.4. More power but lighter and less controllable even with trailer sway. I am talking heavy loads( 6000 plus) here not avegare boats.
Thanks @Crummybun for your first hand experience with the difference from the V8 to the V6 cylinder...I experienced the difference as well...Ya my classic 5.4 litre 8 cylinder triton engine in my F150 4X4 has good power & exceleration.. giving me good towing performance needed on HWYs like the 401..It also tows my custom 2 quad heavy duty trailer nicely...

thanks for letting me know Ford offers a V8 engine option...well thats something for me to consider when the time comes to replace my truck..

back when I bought my triton 5.4 litre 8 cylinder ..they offered a smaller 8 cylinder 4.6 litre for a $1000 savings...I spent the extra on the 5.4 litre and happy i did..

Waverunner, all of the V6 Venzas are equipped with HD transmission coolers etc.
I realize that and my Highlander and Sienna's did too but the factory tow package on my Edge gives you an engine oil cooler as well. Also upgraded battery, alternator and radiator as well as trailer sway control. It's a great optional package for only 600 bucks.

ya mY trailer weighs more then that...

V6 ecoboost has had numerous serious problems. ...my one buddy had one until he sold it...I would never buy one...If i was going to tow 6000 lbs I would own a diesel truck...I know my truck has plenty of power, reliable and its capabilities and hope I never have to replace it..

Last edited:
ya mY trailer weighs more then that...

V6 ecoboost has had numerous serious problems. ...my one buddy had one until he sold it...I would never buy one...If i was going to tow 6000 lbs I would own a diesel truck...I know my truck has plenty of power, reliable and its capabilities and hope I never have to replace it..
The early eco boost had some issues withnspark and timing but they correct that back in 2013. They are pretty flawless right now. My nephew truck has 150 k without a single issue. More power better towing and better fuel economy certainly. I see you can even get a HO version now with 450hp. Towing is something like 12000pounds. Now if they can just get it to sound like a old-school American v8

Ya @jerk bait timing chain issues was just one of them...buddy retired ford worker was given this new truck as part of his pension pkg...he had it into the shop countless times..another serious issue was brake failure and that went on for ever..anyway he had no choice but to trade it in...

I will say my retired neighbour bought a new F150 4X4 last year with standard V6 ecoboost..ya with the aluminum body.. its a nice looking truck..time will tell how it performs mechanically for him...hes not towing..he took me for a ride..sounds ok to me...I will say I took a new 2017 ecoboost for a test drive in thunderbay.. it did have noticeable pickup..
My neighbour told me if you want the 5.0 litre you have to order it...and its not popular.. Ford had to improve the V6 ecoboost for trouble free driving reliability..

I bought my F150 4X4 U.S truck in detroit when the dollar was par (2008)...it just come off a 2 year lease and bought it before it went on the auction block for $17,200+tax CAN.. it had 20,000 miles on it ..theres pros & cons to buying a used vehicle..ford use to offer 3 years or 60,000 kms warranty...what ever come first..so buying a 2 year old vehicle with low mileage gives you left over warranty...furthermore the 2 year old vehicle is broke in and the flaws are usually fixed...I bought my fusion 2 years old from a nissan dealer in brantford at $14,100 +tax ...with 28,000 kms..the sticker price on both vehicles for buying new at that time were double the price..the depreciation of a new vehicle in the first 2 years drops to almost 1/2 ..to me I don't mine buying 2 years old ...and buying a vehicle when our dollar is par is best timing to buy... ...including new boats...

I should mention when i bought my U.S. truck I hired auto motion in Chatham to import the truck for a total cost of $500...they specialize in offering that service which was driving to detroit picking up the truck and doing the paperwork & there cost at the border...the final cost was to install the daytime running lights and safety it..very reasonable and well worth the cost savings

Last edited:
Think we better clarify. I have a 2015 ford f 150 with a 5.0 v8. The V6 ecco boost is far superior in every regard except sound output. My nephew has the ecco boost and his truck has far more power torque and better fuel economy even when towing same boat.Hence why it has max tow rating of the fords. The 5.0 does the job well but the ecco boost is better. Reliability has not been a issue. The ecco best will run circles around any Hemi powered truck as well. Its faster more powerful and better on fuel than my 5.7 tundra as well. I suspect you are referring to the small natural v6 and not the ecco boost. Now one issue I do know is the new aluminum body Ford like mine are too light in the rear end. Its does not tow as well as my steel bodied 2010 i had with the 5.4. More power but lighter and less controllable even with trailer sway. I am talking heavy loads( 6000 plus) here not avegare boats.
Hey @jerk bait I guess I should have been more specific and correct. My 2018 f150 with the regular v6 not EcoBoost, definitely has less torque and hp vs the 2016, v8.

Those #'s are much different then the EcoBoost. Which has more torque and hp!

Ford should stop installing gutless engines in there F150s there making it to confusing for the consumer..I sure don't want one..

Back