Off Topic Tow vehicle

Tcat

Hi Guys looking at getting a newer tow vehicle as my van is getting older actually a 1998 Astro van ,lol.Kinda leaning towards a Ford Explorer or Ford edge or maybe even a Grand Cherokee.Any thoughts .I have a 1750 Lund and shorelander trailer with a 100hp mariner and a kicker9.9. Appreciate any information or your experiences and what to stay away from.Thanks Guys

I tow my Bayliner Element F18 with a 2016 Edge, after I finally let go of my 2003 Explorer.

The Edge (4 cylinder!) has more power, surprisingly, and I notice it going up the train bridge on Highbury. The normally great fuel economy sinks to the old Explorer's levels when towing though. With AWD it's not bad on the ramp, but you do have to give it gas to make it slip before the rear wheels come online.

I do miss the old Explorer though. It was an actually truck on a frame, and it had proper 4x4 and low speed differential. I put it in low range full time 4x4 and just let my foot off the gas and it would creep nicely out of the slipperiest ramps. The news ones are unibody and single speed gearcase. Oh, and it sucked gas like crazy :)

Bottom line, the Edge is not bad for casual towing down to the lake and the occasional trip up north. I fish out of London, so I'm going to Burwell, Bruce, Sarnia, and Goderich. If you are hardcore and go fishing all over most weekends, you may prefer the Explorer.

Hi Guys looking at getting a newer tow vehicle as my van is getting older actually a 1998 Astro van ,lol.Kinda leaning towards a Ford Explorer or Ford edge or maybe even a Grand Cherokee.Any thoughts .I have a 1750 Lund and shorelander trailer with a 100hp mariner and a kicker9.9. Appreciate any information or your experiences and what to stay away from.Thanks Guys
I have a similar boat but it’s a 18’6. Fully loaded with gear and fuel it’s about 2800 lbs. I’ve towed it with vans and mid size SUV’s and never felt safe. It wasn’t the power but more the ability to stop and control the load. I went with a full size truck and it was way better. It felt like for once I was controlling the load instead of it controlling me. It wasn’t that the truck was more powerful but heavier. I’d go with the heaviest vehicle your budget can afford. I wouldn’t go with anything that has less than double the towing capacity that your load is. Don’t max out the capacity of a vehicle.

I agree with above. That's a big boat fully loaded for the edge or jeep. Iam using a full size v8 pick up to tow a similar size boat. Loaded with 3 buddies all the gas , gear , batteries etc it's right where it should be. Doesn't struggle and very controllable. Hook same boat to wifes escape and it gets a bit hairy even though the escape is rated for it . Cant replace a solid frame with a bolt together sub chassis.
My opinion of the 3 would be the explorer.
Also do some research on the jeep about reliability issues.

I have a 20 ft Legend and a 2011 Ford Explorer....it tows the boat very well. That being said, 4 wheel bearings, new alternator (last year), new compressor (2 years ago), actuator 3 years ago....188,000 km rebuilt Ford Explorer for sale ! Just kidding on the for sale thing so hold off on the PMs . Next tow vehicle will not be a Ford Explorer !

My 2011 Grand Cherokee has the 6 in it with the tow package. Pulls a 19.5 ft Tinny no problem. Same gas mileage towing boat as my old 1997 Ford Explorer without. Mine is rated up to 5000 lbs. but with their newer tranny it is now rated up to 6200 lbs. Trading it in on another Grand Cherokee with the Hemi.

I have had a 2007, 20012, 2015 and currently a 2018 AWD Ford Edge and have had zero issues towing my rig that weighs 2500 lbs. On vacation I have loaded extras on where it added at least another 500 lbs. still no problem. Whether you go with an Edge or an Explorer make sure you get the tow package which gives you besides the hitch and 4-pin wiring an upgraded radiator, battery & alternator and engine & transmission coolers as well as trailer sway control.

I have a 20 ft Legend and a 2011 Ford Explorer....it tows the boat very well. That being said, 4 wheel bearings, new alternator (last year), new compressor (2 years ago), actuator 3 years ago....188,000 km rebuilt Ford Explorer for sale ! Just kidding on the for sale thing so hold off on the PMs . Next tow vehicle will not be a Ford Explorer !
Those kind of repairs for a tow vehicle with 188,000 km don't seem drastically out of line to me. :)

Check out the new Telluride or Sorento. 5000 pounds pull weight. Built well and 5 year 100,000km Warranty.

I have a 214 ford explorer with tow package with a 3ltr engine,pulls my 5000lb Larson no problem,all wheel drive,engine brake etc.I would by another 1 in a heart beat,also my 08 ranger does the same.

thats a great choice for a SUV your primary vehicle with towing option..consider towing your boat on long distance trips...like sunset country..
I am still old school for towing boats & quads with my F150 4X4...I bought mine specifically for recreational fishing & hunting and have used it for rugged trips across the country..I also own a ford fusion car to save on truck miles..I don't know if i am saving or spending more keeping 2 vehicles rolling or not..I think overall its a costly luxury..

Driving a smaller vehicle saves me a ton of $$$ I went from a full size truck to a Subaru Crosstrek when I returned to school a few years ago and couldn't be happier. The October and November steelhead fishing before I sold the Silverado cost me over $3000 in gas in truck. The Subaru uses 1/3 or less gas and will go anywhere the truck did.....Now that school has payed off with a big raise I'll be looking for a secondary tow vehicle and larger boat again next year. I'll be leaning towards a used AWD Caravan, Edge or similar as a tow vehicle but the smaller car literally pays for itself in gas savings with the amount of driving I do.

Josh

thats a great choice for a SUV your primary vehicle with towing option..consider towing your boat on long distance trips...like sunset country..
I am still old school for towing boats & quads with my F150 4X4...I bought mine specifically for recreational fishing & hunting and have used it for rugged trips across the country..I also own a ford fusion car to save on truck miles..I don't know if i am saving or spending more keeping 2 vehicles rolling or not..I think overall its a costly luxury..
I used to have 2 vehicles before I cut back to 1 when I retired. Believe me paying the extra for the truck gas is certainly cheaper than keeping 2 vehicles no matter how good on gas vehicle #2 is. LOL! :D

Nice lookin rigs @duck blind and @Wave Runner ...lol

ya diesel is the best it gets for high end towing...

I am really insecure on what options I will eventually have.. when its time to replace my truck with its powerful perfomance 5.4 litre 8 clylinder triton engine in my F150 4X4...
ya todays F150 4X4 with the V6 ecoboost..heard nothing but problems and that makes me paranoid to think about it...thats why I am trying to save my trucks life & miles with the secondary car..

where my trucks engines performance really shines is towing my boat (2500 lbs) in heavy volume of traffic & trucks eastbound 401 toronto going fishing on lake ontario and west HWY 401 to LSC..I can remember being underpowered with a 6 cylinder 4.9 litre in my older truck...theres a big difference...

Last edited:
I have an edge 6cyl AWD and have been towing my 18ft starcraft with it for 3 yrs now and love it! Smooth ride and you wouldn't even know the boat is there.View attachment 13442.

What sort of distance are you towing? I’ve been thinking of using my 6cyl AWD Venza to tow my 18 foot Starcraft from time to time. My trailer has brakes and the venza is heavy so I thought it might work.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks