Off Topic Solar Eclipse Report Long Point April 8th

The traffic is still backed up all the way to the provincial park to get out of the the point.... We came down to work on a cottage and now we're stuck here without beer 😔
Shoulda texted me, it was smooth sailing out of St Willie's. I could have coaxed Mrs EV into the chip ship for dinner with a beer delivery along the way

The viewing was perfect at the trailer. Checked on the trailer had a few bees, caught up with friends, wet a line, all in all a great day.

Attachments

• 20240408_151916.jpg
    20240408_151916.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 19
My parents called me this morning asking where my wife and I got our "eclipse" glasses to watch it safely. I told my mom and gave her the number then went back to bed for a bit. When I got up I called to see if they were able to get any, and of course, NOPE. So I got in the car and drove from my place by the airport in London to my parents place just off Wellington Rd just before St. Thomas. I left at 2pm. Normally it takes me half an hour to get there. NOT TODAY. Took almost an hour. (55 minutes. Got there just in time)

There was an accident at the intersection of Veterans and River Rd in the north bound lanes. Fire Dept had the curb lane blocked so OF COURSE, everyone going south had to rubber neck to get a good look, backing traffic up to Gore Rd.

Then after I finally got on Wellington Rd, once I got to Regina Mundy, traffic backed up AGAIN........no accident this time just all kinds of traffic trying to get into the area of full eclipse, and the traffic lights at Scotland Dr, then suicide corner in Glanworth, then the lights at Ron Macneil and HWY 3 were causing all kinds of traffic backups. Saw LOTS of cars coming from Wonderland over to Wellington thinking they were getting away from traffic that way and only making it worse. ANYONE who was just in front of me or behind me heading to Pt Stanley was NOT going to get there in time to see the full eclipse other than from the side of the road because they weren't going to make it to Pt Stanley in time because of all the traffic heading that way.

Pulled up to my parents place, looked up through the eclipse glasses and saw the moon had 3/4 of the sun covered already. My parents didn't realize it had already begun until I called them out to look. Then we shared the glasses amongst ourselves, and then their neighbor came home so we shared the glasses with him as well and we all got to see it. Once it reached FULL eclipse 15 minutes after I got there, it was quite the sight. We saw the "diamond ring" and the corona. Street lights came on for a couple minutes. Took pictures but in my haste forgot to use my sunglasses (during the short period of full eclipse that's all you needed) to filter it so all I got was pictures that looked like I took a picture of the sun on any given day first thing in the morning when I go fishing that early. I did manage to save some others had posted on FB using a filter though.

My wife was working but got to see the partial eclipse London got. She shared her eclipse glasses with one of the clients on her bus and they both got to see it. Don't think I'll be around for the next one. IF I am, I'll be 173 yrs old.

1712667259461.png
note Venus and the con-trail going through the eclipse, we were at Bacus Page House, Wallacetown. Nutzo traffic all the way home, say some officers doing traffic management at intersections. Venus is that green dot to the lower right of eclipse. They had an astrometer there giving talks.

Can you imagine the traffic chaos at Niagara with 1 million people? 🤪
I saw the same thing from our rear deck with zero traffic in Iona Station. LOL!
my house was just outside the totality path
So I drove 15min to my friend's field
Traffic was stupid to get home from there even lol

Can you imagine the traffic chaos at Niagara with 1 million people? 🤪
I saw the same thing from our rear deck with zero traffic in Iona Station. LOL!
I work in hamilton and this way the drive home yesterday highway 20 at rymal and cenntennial and east down 20 thank god i live east of the hammer so it smooth ride home but the line just kept going everyone thinking ghey can get around the highway. I took that video just to show the amount of cars and 7secs into it we passed a guy with a helicoptor on a trailer

Attachments

• 20240408_175253.jpg
    20240408_175253.jpg
    320.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240408_175502.mp4
    54.6 MB
Over here in Scotland, Ontario we had concerns it would be a total bust, full cloud cover. But the God's did shine down on us with a near perfect blue sky window. A half hour before the eclipse started and a half hour after the eclipse the sky was fully cloud covered.

This is in the backyard.

1000001515.jpg1000001511.jpg

We went to between Burwell and Bruce and it was awesome!!!!

Took back roads home without a hitch.

Here's my pictures:

Online Dating Lose GIF

Around noon we went chasing clearer skies as it was really cloudy in Hamilton. Brought my camera, but forgot the battery in the charger. Cell phone pictures look terrible.

Oh well. I'm just thrilled to have seen it under clear skies. 2 for 2 now as I was successful in seeing the August 21 2017 total solar eclipse as well. Sad thing is, that may be it for me.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks