Smoke signals

Just Chillin

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
20130817_093738.jpg These people didn't even have time to get their life jackets on before jumping overboard and their fire ext didn't work. ....not good when you're 20.5 km from shore. I'm sure if you were out on Saturday you saw the smoke cloud. 20130817_093250.jpg

Last edited:
How were the crew? Were they in the water long before someone picked them up? Did it sink or did someone pull the hull to shore?
Scary!

I don't know if I would have been brave enough to get these photos. You looked to be pretty close. Very scary scene. It makes one think twice about going out in early or late season with colder water and no one around.

The couple of guys on board were fine, only had to tread water a few minutes. My wife and I were watching that boat as a reference...we brought gear in quick and arrived about the same time as boat "Fascination" who picked them up. However they didn't pull their gear and lost some of it. (I heard on radio later someone found their leadcore, with a pic on it, didn't have the heart to tell them that back at the ramp)

Hull was burned to the waterline a couple of hours later, just waiting for a good wave to take her down.
We were into the fish good before this, but lost our program for awhile....Still ended up with 4 eyes and a nice released bow.
I know what you mean Stomp, I've been out many times and not seen a boat all day...I also fish Huron the first week in May!

Last edited:
Hey Chillin, I was out yesterday and saw the smoke plume from the east. I was SO thankful to hear no one was hurt and everyone was rescued safely!! I tip my hat to the crew on Fascination for coming to the rescue!!!

I have written and answered a few posts that I have seen. My husband and a friend were out fishing on my grandfathers boat that was given to me when he passed away when the motor started smoking and within seconds the boat was in flames. The boat did burn and sink, but I'm so happy to have my husband home with myself and our 2 little girls.

Last edited:
My hat,s off to the crew of FASCINATION,it takes Ball,s to dump ur gear to help some one in need:)I would like to be the first to make a donation to help replace their gear-$50.00 from HORTY-that could have been me:(

If you're out there, Fascination, glad to see you doing the right thing in helping a fellow boater! A couple of years ago, my father and I did the big crossing over to Erie, PA. At times there are NO boats in sight. If something goes wrong out in the deep pond, it can truly be a life/death situation.
Bad story with a triumphant ending. Boats can be replaced.

Hats off to the Fascination crew!!:) I was out there with my wife & father in law when we saw all the smoke. By the time I grabbed the binoculars I saw 4 other boats heading over to help. Great response time by a great bunch of fisher people!! Makes me feel good knowing help can arrive quickly when others are around.:D

The crew of the " Fasination" is "FANTASTICATION".

A terrible situation that had a happy ending, lost boat and tackle or not, who cares.

I'll add $25.00 to Horty's 50. I suggest an investment in PDF's with the donations. How even more tragic it is when a crew survives a fire only to drown because no time to don a life preserver.

I challenge all here to donate whatever amount, even a loonie would help.

Now how best to collect the funds, you listening Stomp?

The crew of the " Fasination" is "FANTASTICATION".

A terrible situation that had a happy ending, lost boat and tackle or not, who cares.

I'll add $25.00 to Horty's 50. I suggest an investment in PDF's with the donations. How even more tragic it is when a crew survives a fire only to drown because no time to don a life preserver.

I challenge all here to donate whatever amount, even a loonie would help.

Now how best to collect the funds, you listening Stomp?

..id like to add to that as well...im new out there and its very comforting to know ALL u guys are watchin out for us strangers...and not so stranger anglers.... if/when u figure out a way to donate...ill keep an eye on the thread

or JD.............ill leave a cheque in a baggie attached to the floating bleach bottle out in the bay off of Woodlawn....lol.....

I have been told that Fascination is out of North Erie Marina, I am trying to find out for sure and see if I can get their contact information. I would like to personally thank them and since it will be a long time before we can replace our boat and our gear we would like to add to the donations to help Fascination replace theirs. It's the very least I can do for their speedy response in picking up my husband and friend from the water. I will update once I have any more information or if someone else has already set up a way for donations please let me know.
Thank you!

I have spoken to Sam at North Erie Marina and she is going to try to get contact information for the Fascination crew. They do not dock their boat there just launch it. She will let me know once she gets any information.

They ramped out at NE when we did. Blue and white Bayliner.

Sooo can your husband go out fishing next weekend?
We were amazed how fast that happened! I'm sure his few minutes in the water felt like hours.

They ramped out at NE when we did. Blue and white Bayliner.

Sooo can your husband go out fishing next weekend?
We were amazed how fast that happened! I'm sure his few minutes in the water felt like hours.

Absolutely he can go! A friend of his has already offered to take him, I can't remember his boats name but he's out of NE too.
I actually called him (not knowing at this point what had happened) when he was in the water & when he told me he was treading water & the boat was on fire it was a very scary moment. He has only said that they weren't in the water long, but I'm sure it felt longer for them!
It's unbelievable how quickly smoke turned into the boat being engulfed. The wrong conditions for my husband but right conditions for the fire to overtake the boat :(

Sadly this is the last picture I have of our boat before it sank. It's hard to believe our cherished boat, a 1978 Wilker was reduced to this :(
We will hopefully be able to get a new (new to us) boat someday, but nothing can take away the memories of my grandpa and I spending time together on it or the joy my husband and I got from being able to update & redo the boat and make new memories with our own family!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 152
Maybe we could get N/E to except donations ,if it is ok with Greg?-figure they have to come back there to ramp :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks