Smallmouth

morgan

Am I the only person who is concerned that the Smallmouth bass fishing in the bay is in trouble. I have fished Longpoint for 65 years so I have a little experience. Traditional hotspots are dead , and when you do get into them earlier on they are all 15 inches +. Where are the little guys ? The future of the fishery . When the inner bay slows down you could always count on the bluffs , not anymore . I don’t understand what’s going on but a couple of things to note .The water is clearer , the bottom in traditional hotspots like north of the millionaires looks like beach . Not to mention the ridiculous amount of boat traffic. On the plus side the largemouth fishing is better than ever. In the last three years I have had some of the best fishing ever , usually around bait island and the channel. This is in the first 3 weeks of July , all catch and release, all 15 inches + , something is not right . Where is the next generation ?

😔
I don’t have enough experience to comment

there was days last year when I couldn’t catch one and other people on here caught and released 20+ sooo
Being in the right spot means something..
maybe the hots spots have shifted

😔
I don’t have enough experience to comment

there was days last year when I couldn’t catch one and other people on here caught and released 20+ sooo
Being in the right spot means something..
maybe the hots spots have shifted
Good luck to you this year @Derkd9 and I believe that you mentioned recently that you have rented a cottage for a week this year around the Bass Season opener in the Long Point Bay Area. That should give you plenty of time to find some good bass fishing,and Tight Lines & Smallmouth/Largemouth Bass ON!! 🚤🎣🐟👊👊👍😎

@Red Hering yes I do
I cannot wait
I have also invested in a bunch of different bass baits to try out this season as well

I am happy to hear the large mouth population is doing well. I do really enjoy catching them as well as frying them up!

Am I the only person who is concerned that the Smallmouth bass fishing in the bay is in trouble. I have fished Longpoint for 65 years so I have a little experience. Traditional hotspots are dead , and when you do get into them earlier on they are all 15 inches +. Where are the little guys ? The future of the fishery . When the inner bay slows down you could always count on the bluffs , not anymore . I don’t understand what’s going on but a couple of things to note .The water is clearer , the bottom in traditional hotspots like north of the millionaires looks like beach . Not to mention the ridiculous amount of boat traffic. On the plus side the largemouth fishing is better than ever. In the last three years I have had some of the best fishing ever , usually around bait island and the channel. This is in the first 3 weeks of July , all catch and release, all 15 inches + , something is not right . Where is the next generation ?
Well you are absolutely right . Its definitely changed. We altered our game plan and were rewarded with some great smallmouth fishing last year but it required changing . Several days with 50 plus fish but they are NOT where they used to be and bigger than average. We now catch giant largemouth where the smallies used to be. Pike as well. One thing i found was when the water level dropped mid to late July its had a direct negative impact of the bass fishing. They didn't necessarily go deeper but definitely turned off. There may have been a couple of bad spawn years . We know the the ministry was contacted about the airplanes using the spawn waters as a testing ground. It appears to be a long point only issue as the smallmouth fishing east of the bay has been excellent.

@Red Hering yes I do
I cannot wait
I have also invested in a bunch of different bass baits to try out this season as well

I am happy to hear the large mouth population is doing well. I do really enjoy catching them as well as frying them up!
@Derkd9 There is definitely some great Largemouth Bass fishing on Long Point Bay. 👍😉 I have fished long point bay since 1986,and I have entered the Marina Shore Bass Derby C8FF0102-D275-4A9A-8AF2-760634142E38.jpeg for 25 year’s in a row from 1986 on,when they first hosted the Bass Derby. Marina Shore’s doesn’t host the Bass Derby anymore now for a few year’s,and it was always a great time bass fishing in the bass derby on long point bay on opening day. I fished mostly for Largemouth Bass out of a kayak in the reeds,and in my first year of the Marina Shore Bass Derby, I came in second place,with a 5 lb. 2 ounce largemouth bass. 8725EB2D-8C22-4DF1-848D-A3DA8A76DD90.jpeg 4CDE80D2-7239-470F-BCBA-60DCBFE86C2D.jpeg I still believe to this day,that I had the winning largemouth bass in that bass derby,because I was out just a ounce to be in first place,to perhaps win the bass derby. I wished that I had gotten to the weigh scales faster to weigh my largemouth bass in,back in 1986. I just thought that I would share my largemouth bass fishing experience on the bay. Good luck & tight lines when the bass season opens & largemouth & Smallmouth bass ON!!,for the bass 36F03B84-66F0-47F0-9F97-FDC206C44B0A.jpeg 92FBA6B1-6EE1-40EA-AC58-C9FD75615DEC.jpeg are definitely there,on long point bay. 🚤🎣🐟 D84C4583-255A-400E-8BF2-3E7A93DFF5C8.jpeg 👍😎

Attachments

• C036161F-BEDB-4114-A92B-28CEC5BACDD3.jpeg
    C036161F-BEDB-4114-A92B-28CEC5BACDD3.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
@Derkd9 There is definitely some great Largemouth Bass fishing on Long Point Bay. 👍😉 I have fished long point bay since 1986,and I have entered the Marina Shore Bass Derby View attachment 40042 for 25 year’s in a row from 1986 on,when they first hosted the Bass Derby. Marina Shore’s doesn’t host the Bass Derby anymore now for a few year’s,and it was always a great time bass fishing in the bass derby on long point bay on opening day. I fished mostly for Largemouth Bass out of a kayak in the reeds,and in my first year of the Marina Shore Bass Derby, I came in second place,with a 5 lb. 2 ounce largemouth bass. View attachment 40043 I still believe to this day,that I had the winning largemouth bass in that bass derby,because I was out just a ounce to be in first place,to perhaps win the bass derby. I wished that I had gotten to the weigh scales faster to weigh my largemouth bass in,back in 1986. I just thought that I would share my largemouth bass fishing experience on the bay,& Good luck & tight lines & bass ON!! on long point bay,once the bass season opens.🚤🎣🐟👍😎
Awesome! As I said before LEGEND! Lol
I was born in 1986!
I haven’t looked into it but I wonder if there is a Bass Derby this year.
that would be a lot of fun!

The Bay itself has changed. Slowly felling in.Terrible water fluctuations. Clearer water conditions. There’s more predators in the water like pike,muskie and even walleye that are gorging themselves on anything that moves. More and more human traffic out there too. I’m sure all this is having a negative impact on smallmouth population and there reproduction

I wish humans had less impact around bass opener in LPB. Every year there's hundreds of boats trying to max out their limits while the fish are still spawning and people are greedy as hell. Sure take a few for the pan but no one needs to bring home 24 fish every day. Keep a few tasty little guys. Put the big breeders back.

I wish humans had less impact around bass opener in LPB. Every year there's hundreds of boats trying to max out their limits while the fish are still spawning and people are greedy as hell. Sure take a few for the pan but no one needs to bring home 24 fish every day. Keep a few tasty little guys. Put the big breeders back.
That’s also illegal
Sport possession limit is 6.
They do enforce that too
Was followed half way home one year
Searched all of my stuff and boat
I had nothing to hide but they are trying to catch the people that are bringing home more than 6

@Derk not if you have 4 people in the boat. Pa, gramps and 2 kids and that's the limit.

Thing people don't get is fish at home in the freezer count towards the limit.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but under aged / non licensed kids Daily limits go on the adult/ licensed Daily limit?

Just have to trust the ministry is doing their job to protect the sustainability of the population.
And if you know of people taking more than their limit you have to tell the proper authorities.

I won’t even go fishing on opening weekend of bass season , it’s a complete shit show . A lot of once a year people on their annual trip to Longpoint to catch their “ limit “ I don’t think there are to many places that can take that kind of pressure .l always thought they should put a reduced limit for bass opening week ( maybe 2 fish , I don’t know ) just to discourage the annual , what I like to call slaughter. I have eaten lots of Smallmouth , but seriously anything over 13 inches aren’t that great eating . I find people taking home the 3 and 4 pounders a little disturbing , all about the bragging rights , and yes I know it’s all perfectly legal . Even the few charter boats left on the bay were having trouble finding fish. Encourage people to catch perch ,sunfish , rock bass , pike etc all better table fair than bass.

so righteous! 😇
Once a year guys obviously catch less then guys that go at them all of july and then again in the fall.
the fish sanctuary and the season allow for majority, if not all of the spawning to take place.
so no need to get all bent out of shape

Correct me if I'm wrong, but under aged / non licensed kids Daily limits go on the adult/ licensed Daily limit?
From pages 6 &7 of the regs. When You Don’t Need to Purchase a Fishing Licence

Instead of purchasing and carrying an Outdoors Card and Recreational Fishing Licence, persons described below carrying the specified documents while fishing may use them as a fishing licence. Catch and possession limits for a Sport Fishing Licence apply in these situations.

Regardless of residency, a person who has been issued any of the following documents may use it as a fishing licence:
• An accessible parking permit issued under Ontario’s Highway Traffic Act
• The Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB) national identity card

The persons described below can carry a licence, permit, certificate or identification card issued by a federal, provincial or territorial government of Canada that indicates their name and date of birth and use it as a fishing licence:

Recreational Fishing Licence Information
Ontario and Canadian residents who are under 18 or 65 years of age or older.
• Individuals, regardless of residency, who require the direct assistance of another person to fish and to follow applicable laws due to a disability defined in the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If the accompanying person is only assisting, they do not require a fishing licence, but must have one if they engage in fishing.
• A person, regardless of residency, who also holds a black and white photocopy or printed version of an accessible parking permit issued under Ontario’s Highway Traffic Act.

Finally, Ontario residents who are active members or veterans of the Canadian Armed Forces can use one of the following documents as a fishing licence:
• Canadian Forces Identification Card (NDI 20)
• Record of Service Card (NDI 75)
• Canadian Armed Forces Veteran’s Service Card (NDI 75)

Last edited:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought kids had their own limit? Honestly I'm not sure.
see the response I just posted from the regs. People who have an assumed license, ie kids under 18 and adults over 65 have the same limits as a sport license and yes that person with an assumed license, even if that person is a kid under 18 has their own limit.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks