Smallmouth

Can’t say with certainty what impact this has, but Lake Erie smallmouth fishing in general is better than ever while LPB lags behind.

Funny that you say that. I thought the same thing to myself the last few years. Bass fishing has been fantastic in the eastern basin while at long point has been lousy.

I like fishing, I'm not a fanatic but I like it. I was blessed that Dad built a cottage on Old Cut Blvd. back in 1952 and then I showed up in 1957 to start my adventures at The Point. My Mom told me of Bass Openers where the guys would go out in the morning and be back in a couple of hours with bushel baskets full of 6 Lb. Smallies for lunch and then do it again in the afternoon for dinner ! Those days are gone.

I too have noticed the fishing has slowly become less productive with the last two years the worst of which I assumed was due to the higher(cooler?) water levels affecting the fish spawning beds and/or the clearer water because of Zebra Mussels. The boat traffic on the Inner Bay is borderline insane nowadays ! If you look at the size and volume of the boats as opposed to years past that plied the waters (not to mention the speed they travel at now ? ) I'm surprised there are any fish at all. Morgan; Interesting question you have, just how many boats are out there on a Bass Opener ?

I like fishing, I'm not a fanatic but I like it. I was blessed that Dad built a cottage on Old Cut Blvd. back in 1952 and then I showed up in 1957 to start my adventures at The Point. My Mom told me of Bass Openers where the guys would go out in the morning and be back in a couple of hours with bushel baskets full of 6 Lb. Smallies for lunch and then do it again in the afternoon for dinner ! Those days are gone.

I too have noticed the fishing has slowly become less productive with the last two years the worst of which I assumed was due to the higher(cooler?) water levels affecting the fish spawning beds and/or the clearer water because of Zebra Mussels. The boat traffic on the Inner Bay is borderline insane nowadays ! If you look at the size and volume of the boats as opposed to years past that plied the waters (not to mention the speed they travel at now ? ) I'm surprised there are any fish at all. Morgan; Interesting question you have, just how many boats are out there on a Bass Opener ?
I’m betting, water level, water temperatures, water clarity, lack of ice cover in the winter, the direction the wind blew out of the most that year, the amount (more or less) of sunlight that year, invasive species.
All have far more of an impact on the smallmouth spawn
Than boat traffic and whether people fish the first week or not.

Yes but no ! You can't rule out the boat traffic and number of boats using the Inner Bay. When Dr. Scott Petrie was with the Long Point Waterfowl and Wetlands Research studies showed how late season boat activity was disrupting how the diving ducks was using the Inner Bay so my case in point is relative to the question of boat traffic affecting fish and/or fishing quality.

For giggles I viewed the satellite maps of Long Point to try and estimate (guesstimate ?) just how many boats there are possible to go out on the Bay. Most marinas looked like 150 to 200 boats each so combined ... say 1000 and Turkey Point marinas and private residences combined 600 then Long Point residences ball park it at 1000 and then add in daytrippers..... mmmmmmm ? No matter how you do the math it still comes up a heck of a lot of boats.

Opening weekend heavy boat traffic just drives the fish out of the inner bay faster. That should help the fish.

Ya’ll should write a letter to the MNR
Maybe you can make a difference 😃

I’m betting, water level, water temperatures, water clarity, lack of ice cover in the winter, the direction the wind blew out of the most that year, the amount (more or less) of sunlight that year, invasive species.
All have far more of an impact on the smallmouth spawn
Than boat traffic and whether people fish the first week or not.

For arguments sake, temp. fluctuations and wind certainly impact spawn success but the inner bay is better protected than most other spawning areas around the lake. Sunlight shouldn’t affect the bay differently than anywhere else. Environmental changes in recent decades, particularly clearing up of the water and the invasion of gobies, have been positive for smallmouth fisheries all over the lake, with terrific numbers and increased growth rates. Predation of eggs by gobies is a concern, but goby populations in the inner bay seem lower than everywhere else. So what’s the difference?

IMO it's not too hard to believe that historical harvesting of “bushels” of bass as mentioned above, or the current mass harvest by thousands of boats (esp. early in the season), might have adverse effects on the fishery. This kind of concentrated harvest of bass doesn’t occur elsewhere on the lake, as far as I’m aware.

I don’t have the impression that there’s a spawn issue in LPB at all, but that’s just my opinion (wild guess?). Seems to me that there are lots of bass around, perhaps not in the same spots as some found them decades ago, but the top end size isn’t there like it is elsewhere on Erie. If someone only chases smallies in the inner bay at the start of the season then it's hard to get a full picture IMO. It's a narrow window of time to catch them before they move out, and that window is affected by weather. A 'bad year' might just mean most of them left before we got there. Lake temps are slowly trending upward, probably causing an earlier spawn, probably narrowing that window between bass opener and the time that the smallies have vacated the bay...

Anyway, just some thoughts, sorry for the rant... 75 more days till opener! 🤪

For arguments sake, temp. fluctuations and wind certainly impact spawn success but the inner bay is better protected than most other spawning areas around the lake. Sunlight shouldn’t affect the bay differently than anywhere else. Environmental changes in recent decades, particularly clearing up of the water and the invasion of gobies, have been positive for smallmouth fisheries all over the lake, with terrific numbers and increased growth rates. Predation of eggs by gobies is a concern, but goby populations in the inner bay seem lower than everywhere else. So what’s the difference?

IMO it's not too hard to believe that historical harvesting of “bushels” of bass as mentioned above, or the current mass harvest by thousands of boats (esp. early in the season), might have adverse effects on the fishery. This kind of concentrated harvest of bass doesn’t occur elsewhere on the lake, as far as I’m aware.

I don’t have the impression that there’s a spawn issue in LPB at all, but that’s just my opinion (wild guess?). Seems to me that there are lots of bass around, perhaps not in the same spots as some found them decades ago, but the top end size isn’t there like it is elsewhere on Erie. If someone only chases smallies in the inner bay at the start of the season then it's hard to get a full picture IMO. It's a narrow window of time to catch them before they move out, and that window is affected by weather. A 'bad year' might just mean most of them left before we got there. Lake temps are slowly trending upward, probably causing an earlier spawn, probably narrowing that window between bass opener and the time that the smallies have vacated the bay...

Anyway, just some thoughts, sorry for the rant... 75 more days till opener! 🤪
That makes sense to me, funny how your argument contradicts what others are saying about fishing the opener. Pretty sure I read that those of us who fish in the first week are pulling bass off their nests. And therefore destroying them and their reproduction efforts for that year
Causing a rapid and scary decline in smallmouth bass.

If only there was someone moored out at EC10
And we all know who @Extra Virgin wants that certain someone to be. You had your chance EV, but that air mattress has sailed...
ship it jurassic park GIF

Not bragging just stating a fact. I am retired and fish a lot so I catch literally hundreds of bass each summer. I keep less than a days limit in the whole season. I only keep them if bleeding badly and don't think they will make it. If it is a big fish I will make extra effort to revive it and let it go even if bleeding in hopes it makes it. I don't find them particularly good to eat, nothing like walleye, perch or even spring pike. Yet they are much to much fun to catch compared to the other species so I prefer to put them back to catch again.

I am not 100% sure that mortality from fishing is a major factor in their population dynamics so I don't begrudge other people keeping some for a fry especially if you only get out a couple times a season. I do wish the people who get out a lot would consider reducing the number they kill. Even if you just release the ones over 3lbs I think that would help.

I'm a little surprised at the comments about eating pike. Pike are disgusting lol.

(just my opinion, at least when I tried them.)

Pike is delicious
Large mouth bass is one of my favourites!

I plan to try Rock Bass this year once I can get into them
I tried sunfish for the first time last year which I thought was delicious as well

Small mouth is good too just prefer others

Out of cold spring water and cleaned properly so you get all the bones out I think pike are as good as walleye. Maybe don’t store as well but fresh as good as it gets. Comparable to walleye not quite as good as crappie.
Yea I think the twice I've ever tried them they must have been midsummer and not cleaned right at all. All I remember is it tasting like I licked the bottom of a dock and got impaled by a thousand little bones.

i blame commercial fisheries , for raping our lake, without the thought of proper reproduction limits. i see many totes over the season full of fish spoil on the docks, MNR doesn't do anything but slap a wrist. this infuriates me to no end, Now if the fish boats reduced and released the fish that aren't to be caught, this would help huge. i do observe net pulling when i am on the lake near a certain place, i see all kinds of fish, not just perch or walleye.
The lack of stocking like they used to is scaled way down, basically to a point of putting 0 fish in.
certainly new species eating food sources faster than the fish we want to catch.
I catch and release all bass, don't care to eat them , just fun to catch with my kid. tried pike once , was just ok , nothing to write home about, nor would i consider trying again.
I can see the shoreline changes, environment, more boats, more poachers, i know of groups of certain types that don't know you should get a license and how many to keep , or in season or out of season, they just don't care to find out. Which is a fail for mnr , they promote educating, but i don't see it,

We sincerly do need a better plan to be started now, instead of more studies to think about it. actions always sound louder than words .

I haven't noticed much of a change. Last year opening day it was really windy and we pounded them. 120+ fish all released.

I personally find smallmouth out of sandy or rocky bottoms outstanding. Lake Erie bass are superb...but you have to clean them properly. I learned from John Sim. Fillet and skin the bass. Toss the fillet in ice water for 10 mins. When you take it out, you'll see a fine ring of fat around the edges..it peels off. Then zipper the fillet to remove the center line dark fat ..left with 2 white fat free pieces. I find them a bit firmer than walleye..I call them fresh water halibut. OUTSTANDING!!!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks