Silver Bass? Hybrid?

quackers

Any thoughts on what this is? I assume it's a silver Bass, just haven't seen one this color and kind of an odd body shape.IMG_20180807_1833577.jpgIMG_20180807_1834143.jpgIMG_20180807_1834064.jpgIMG_20180807_2124192.jpg

Very common down this way (western basin) lots in the Detriot river too. they came from lake Ontario I beleive

If you read up on them you'll find that they are not native to the great lakes but an invasive species---extremely aggressive

How are they on the table?

I'll put it this way. There are lots of ppl out there who really like'em. I took one home last year to try it. MISTAKE.....I had a nice catch of yellows that particular day as well, (enough to feed myself) and made the mistake of mixing that white one in with the yellows. Ruined it. I find the white to have a stronger "fishy" flavor and you could tell right away that what you were eating, wasn't a yellow. I'd have to say, it's an acquired taste.

Here's how you can tell the difference between the White/Silver Bass, and the White Perch.

1533751256558.png
WHITE/SILVER BASS

---Notice the front dorsal fin is shorter than the rear dorsal fin.
---Notice the slope from the front dorsal fin to the eyes/head gradual
---Dark spots in horizontal lines, often faint and irregular second anal spine distinctly shorter than third
---length: 20-30 centimetres (8-12 inches)

1533751299696.png
WHITE PERCH

---Notice the front Dorsal fin is the same size or larger than the rear dorsal fin.
---Notice the slope from the front dorsal fin to the eyes/head is sharper
---Colour variable with no obvious spots or stripes second and third anal spine roughly equal in length
---length: 15-25 centimetres (6-10 inches)

If there is a "silver lining" (pun intended) its that if that's all you're catching, they are fun. Plus, neither is a regulated species. You can catch and keep as many as you want.

Here's how you can tell the difference between the White/Silver Bass, and the White Perch.

View attachment 10242
WHITE/SILVER BASS

---Notice the front dorsal fin is shorter than the rear dorsal fin.
---Notice the slope from the front dorsal fin to the eyes/head gradual
---Dark spots in horizontal lines, often faint and irregular second anal spine distinctly shorter than third
---length: 20-30 centimetres (8-12 inches)

View attachment 10243
WHITE PERCH

---Notice the front Dorsal fin is the same size or larger than the rear dorsal fin.
---Notice the slope from the front dorsal fin to the eyes/head is sharper
---Colour variable with no obvious spots or stripes second and third anal spine roughly equal in length
---length: 15-25 centimetres (6-10 inches)

If there is a "silver lining" (pun intended) its that if that's all you're catching, they are fun. Plus, neither is a regulated species. You can catch and keep as many as you want.
Thanks. I did not know their was a difference. Cooked one up once, not for me.

Nope, gizzard shad are different altogether. They have a small head and tiny mouth, a small single dorsal lacking spines and a long flat anal fin also lacking spines. Body shape is somewhat similar but that's the extent of their similarities.

Josh

Back