Silver Bass? Hybrid?

quackers

Any thoughts on what this is? I assume it's a silver Bass, just haven't seen one this color and kind of an odd body shape.IMG_20180807_1833577.jpgIMG_20180807_1834143.jpgIMG_20180807_1834064.jpgIMG_20180807_2124192.jpg

Very common down this way (western basin) lots in the Detriot river too. they came from lake Ontario I beleive

If you read up on them you'll find that they are not native to the great lakes but an invasive species---extremely aggressive

How are they on the table?

I'll put it this way. There are lots of ppl out there who really like'em. I took one home last year to try it. MISTAKE.....I had a nice catch of yellows that particular day as well, (enough to feed myself) and made the mistake of mixing that white one in with the yellows. Ruined it. I find the white to have a stronger "fishy" flavor and you could tell right away that what you were eating, wasn't a yellow. I'd have to say, it's an acquired taste.

Here's how you can tell the difference between the White/Silver Bass, and the White Perch.

1533751256558.png
WHITE/SILVER BASS

---Notice the front dorsal fin is shorter than the rear dorsal fin.
---Notice the slope from the front dorsal fin to the eyes/head gradual
---Dark spots in horizontal lines, often faint and irregular second anal spine distinctly shorter than third
---length: 20-30 centimetres (8-12 inches)

1533751299696.png
WHITE PERCH

---Notice the front Dorsal fin is the same size or larger than the rear dorsal fin.
---Notice the slope from the front dorsal fin to the eyes/head is sharper
---Colour variable with no obvious spots or stripes second and third anal spine roughly equal in length
---length: 15-25 centimetres (6-10 inches)

If there is a "silver lining" (pun intended) its that if that's all you're catching, they are fun. Plus, neither is a regulated species. You can catch and keep as many as you want.

Here's how you can tell the difference between the White/Silver Bass, and the White Perch.

View attachment 10242
WHITE/SILVER BASS

---Notice the front dorsal fin is shorter than the rear dorsal fin.
---Notice the slope from the front dorsal fin to the eyes/head gradual
---Dark spots in horizontal lines, often faint and irregular second anal spine distinctly shorter than third
---length: 20-30 centimetres (8-12 inches)

View attachment 10243
WHITE PERCH

---Notice the front Dorsal fin is the same size or larger than the rear dorsal fin.
---Notice the slope from the front dorsal fin to the eyes/head is sharper
---Colour variable with no obvious spots or stripes second and third anal spine roughly equal in length
---length: 15-25 centimetres (6-10 inches)

If there is a "silver lining" (pun intended) its that if that's all you're catching, they are fun. Plus, neither is a regulated species. You can catch and keep as many as you want.
Thanks. I did not know their was a difference. Cooked one up once, not for me.

Nope, gizzard shad are different altogether. They have a small head and tiny mouth, a small single dorsal lacking spines and a long flat anal fin also lacking spines. Body shape is somewhat similar but that's the extent of their similarities.

Josh

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks