Safe to go?

As of this morning, conditions look OK with probably a slight chop. I'm assuming you'd be heading out from Long Point or Turkey Point so the big question is are you willing to make the 26 mile trip there and back of steady pounding into the waves? Done it a few times and after about 20 minutes I was just about ready to kill myself or anyone who happens to be in the boat with me. It's comparable to Chinese water torture

As of this morning, conditions look OK with probably a slight chop. I'm assuming you'd be heading out from Long Point or Turkey Point so the big question is are you willing to make the 26 mile trip there and back of steady pounding into the waves? Done it a few times and after about 20 minutes I was just about ready to kill myself or anyone who happens to be in the boat with me. It's comparable to Chinese water torture
Thanks. This was more or less the response i was looking for. So what would be your favourable wind speed and direction.

most favorable winds for that trip is calm but sw winds under 10 knots and you should have a fairly smooth ride there and back

Sweet. Thanks. I know its a long trip. That's why i was looking for some more info but you've given me the answer i was looking for.

also lots of web cams to check the morning of before you hit the road

Worth mentioning too is pick your port based on the wind direction. Ride back from the elbow to Old Cut/Rowan isn't bad in a west or south wind if you hug the point. Likewise ride to Nanticoke or Dover for a north.

Depends on your boat and tolerance. I probably would have gone. But 10 years of working on and 40 years of fishing Lake Erie give me a decent understanding of her moods. Stanley bouey gives you an idea if the waves are building, staying the same or laying down. I use all the data I can get before I make the hours drive.

That's the one I'm talking about. I fish it quite a bit and ya I've had 20 minute runs out with hour + trips back in. I'm more likely to giggle and play with the waves than be afraid. Multiple people die on the toilet every year but I still read the news there.

That's the one I'm talking about. I fish it quite a bit and ya I've had 20 minute runs out with hour + trips back in. I'm more likely to giggle and play with the waves than be afraid. Multiple people die on the toilet every year but I still read the news there.
Have fun with that!

Seriously going to compare dying I’m guessing by a heart attack on the toilet
Too falling victim to Lady Erie
That’s such a pathetic attitude to have
Don’t give Erie respect you are bound to get messed up by her at one point or another

Pike at the Bluffs or north shore/Pottahawk perch look like a better options than trolling the Elbow IMO, both in terms of comfort/safety and likelihood of success this time of year.

I would not choose to fish the Elbow with the forecast posted originally.

Derk I guess you missed the part about 50 years on the lake. I've seen her nasty side lots. I've seen 30 foot waves and called in a chopper to evacuate the rig. Being out in 6 or 8 foot seas doesn't frighten me . No fun though. By the statistics your risk driving home is way higher than going out in a few waves. The question was is 15 kph wind too much for the elbow. I still say no depending on your boat and tolerance.

Derk I guess you missed the part about 50 years on the lake. I've seen her nasty side lots. I've seen 30 foot waves and called in a chopper to evacuate the rig. Being out in 6 or 8 foot seas doesn't frighten me . No fun though. By the statistics your risk driving home is way higher than going out in a few waves. The question was is 15 kph wind too much for the elbow. I still say no depending on your boat and tolerance.
fair enough...
yeah car accidents can happen everyone drives... not many people are stupid enough to go out on Lake Erie with 6-8ft waves tho...
So when you factor in the amount of people driving and how many actually get into deadly car accidents then compare that to how many people go fishing when there is 6-8ft waves and how many people die while doing that the statistics will show higher percentage die on the water in deadly conditions
good luck finding all the data to actually prove this...
but go check out the boat ramps parking lots when there is 6-8ft waves

fair enough...
yeah car accidents can happen everyone drives... not many people are stupid enough to go out on Lake Erie with 6-8ft waves tho...
So when you factor in the amount of people driving and how many actually get into deadly car accidents then compare that to how many people go fishing when there is 6-8ft waves and how many people die while doing that the statistics will show higher percentage die on the water in deadly conditions
good luck finding all the data to actually prove this...
but go check out the boat ramps parking lots when there is 6-8ft waves
They empty pretty quick. Or when im the only boat headed out and everyone is heading in. Made that mistake a few times 😂 great fishing though.

Recreational Boating: 6.5 fatalities per 100,000 registered vessels (US Coast Guard, 2020)

Driving: 6.8 fatalities per 100,000 registered motor vehicles (Transport Canada, 2020)

On a 'per use' basis, boating will look far more risky than driving on land (annual avg. # of trips with a registered motor vehicle will be much, much higher than avg. # of trips per registered vessel, particularly in Canada). Also I believe the road stats include fatalities of pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists...

I’m sure most people who have died on Erie thought they were invincible “been boating for 30 years”
Guy last year that died out front of Bruce for example was likely taking a piss and it wasn’t even 6-8fters
Think it got to like 5 footers that day. And he was in a nice big boat made for the rough waters of Erie.

I’m sure most people who have died on Erie thought they were invincible “been boating for 30 years”
Guy last year that died out front of Bruce for example was likely taking a piss and it wasn’t even 6-8fters
Think it got to like 5 footers that day. And he was in a nice big boat made for the rough waters of Erie.
Piss in a pail and use your kill lanyard. Long been a fact that most fisherman are found with their flys down. 6 to 8 footers used to be my commute to work.

View attachment 74068
If this stays the same for Saturday. Is this alright conditions to venture to the elbow to troll? What is favourable wind direction for the area?
I fish from nanticoke often and the elbow area is usual destination.. looking at that forecast you posted I wouldn't hesitate to go. So yeah I would say "alright conditions" .
Likely have a nice chop for sure especially if your boating from nanticoke,slow going out but maybe not bad comming in.
Might not be to bad if you go from Turkey and peel along the point out to bluffs bar area then shank it out to the deeps/ elbow area.
If your ok to fish in 2-3ft chop safely (have the experience and good legs) you will be fine.
As nice as it is to fish and travel over flat water I personally would rather go fishing when it's breezy/choppy.. no ankle biting flies, only seasoned anglers will out so less boats jockeying for position and the fish are usually much more cooperative.
If your forecast holds where it is I'll be going out Saturday as well.

Back