Safe to go?

Kbreks

1000009084.png
If this stays the same for Saturday. Is this alright conditions to venture to the elbow to troll? What is favourable wind direction for the area?

Hmm, is this a trick question @Kbreks?
No its not. Sorry, im not overly familiar with the area. I usually go out of port bruce but have had people tell me that the above conditions posted are too rough for the outer bay are. To me it looks like a beauty day to head out.

In general, while I don't have a boat, the weather does play a part in my decision making on when I can or cannot go sit on the pier because if the winds are too high, out of any direction other than North or perhaps NW, you might not be able to sit on the pier because the lake might breaking over it.

That said, I don't put much faith in any weather forecast from any weather site more than 2-3 days out because it is bound to change, (and usually does) between the first time I look at it for the day I'm thinking about going, and the day when it arrives. Even then, yesterday being the example what was forecast, and what was when I got to the pier, was different. Usually is, and although it was forecast to do so, yesterday, the wind changed directions sooner than forecast, and was blowing harder than forecast much earlier. I don't know why, but for some reason, they don't often get it right in the summer time, but they seem to be able to in winter.

Best advice would be to keep an eye on it between now and Saturday and then make the final decision when you get up on Saturday based on what you're seeing in the forecast AND what your eyes tell you when you look out the window Saturday morning.

In general, while I don't have a boat, the weather does play a part in my decision making on when I can or cannot go sit on the pier because if the winds are too high, out of any direction other than North or perhaps NW, you might not be able to sit on the pier because the lake might breaking over it.

That said, I don't put much faith in any weather forecast from any weather site more than 2-3 days out because it is bound to change, (and usually does) between the first time I look at it for the day I'm thinking about going, and the day when it arrives. Even then, yesterday being the example what was forecast, and what was when I got to the pier, was different. Usually is, and although it was forecast to do so, yesterday, the wind changed directions sooner than forecast, and was blowing harder than forecast much earlier. I don't know why, but for some reason, they don't often get it right in the summer time, but they seem to be able to in winter.

Best advice would be to keep an eye on it between now and Saturday and then make the final decision when you get up on Saturday based on what you're seeing in the forecast AND what your eyes tell you when you look out the window Saturday morning.
I definitely watch it especially right up until i launch. Thats why i was asking if its similar to what i posted if i should be okay. Much more and i wont venture out. To me it looks fine. But theres been many times ive been told that a forecast like that is way too rough to go out in. Im in a 19 foot bowrider and im by no means afraid of chop. Just wondering if the info i get from the people saying it is too rough are full of it or not.

I definitely watch it especially right up until i launch. Thats why i was asking if its similar to what i posted if i should be okay. Much more and i wont venture out. To me it looks fine. But theres been many times ive been told that a forecast like that is way too rough to go out in. Im in a 19 foot bowrider and im by no means afraid of chop. Just wondering if the info i get from the people saying it is too rough are full of it or not.
Essentially, it'll come down to what you feel comfortable and safe with based on your own tolerances and equipment and what your own eyes are telling you. But, as I've said to others before, you can always change your mind one way or the other when you get there the day of but "if in doubt, don't" is the safest course of action. Better to put it off a day or two than to become a statistic.

Safe? Yea probably. Will it be fun, will you get seasick and beat up o the ride back are questions with answers not so favourable.

Guess its going to be a go and see kind of day i think. Hopefully wind dies down a bit. Thanks

19 foot bowrider. Have been fishing erie in this boat for 3 years but have fished erie for about 5
I’m honestly surprised you need to ask than..
I’d go out in that if I were desperate..
but the season just started and the fishing hasnt really heated up yet hardly worth the bumpy un comfortable ride
But I also wouldn’t even be thinking about making the decision at this point and know better than that by now the forecast is never solid especially more than a day out.

Water still cold doesn’t take long to die if you end up in the water

I understand that im asking pretty far in advance. If this was what they were calling for out of port bruce. I wouldn't hesitate to go fish in that. I was more or less trying to find out if for some reason higher winds were rougher in the outter bay than they would be in the open out of port bruce as i have been told that winds like that are almost unfishable out of longpoint with those winds.

I understand that im asking pretty far in advance. If this was what they were calling for out of port bruce. I wouldn't hesitate to go fish in that. I was more or less trying to find out if for some reason higher winds were rougher in the outter bay than they would be in the open out of port bruce as i have been told that winds like that are almost unfishable out of longpoint with those winds.
I use windy and I don’t bother with the wave predictions I just have that kind of info in my head what the waves will be like
Now that I have looked at the windy app which I pay for premium to get the hourly forecasts rather then 3 hour forecasts

Given it is still to far out to say for sure…
This to me looks fishable but not until like 7am or 8am
View attachment RPReplay_Final1686102412.mp4

When it’s a bright green it’s too rough, when it’s yellow it’s suicide… even though green can be fishable it’s too close to yellow for my liking
obviously there are other things to consider like wind direction and water temperature.. but as a general rule of thumb for myself that’s how I see it. hahaha

As forecasts go you can't be too sure until the night before and even then Mother Nature can get fickled and screw you up. I would be checking every forecast from multiple sites whether it be CCG Marine Report or Windfinder or whoever right up until you go. Fore warned is fore armed as the saying goes. Better to miss one day of fishing then an eternity ?

Should be fine. BUT a Saturday forecast on Tuesday don't mean shit. Check Friday's MAYFOR and windfinder. Maybe the Port Stanley buoy for wave heights as a final decider. Can't catch much sitting on the couch.

Should be fine. BUT a Saturday forecast on Tuesday don't mean shit. Check Friday's MAYFOR and windfinder. Maybe the Port Stanley buoy for wave heights as a final decider. Can't catch much sitting on the couch.
Port Stanley weather buoy is pointless to check when fishing the elbow
Also can’t catch much when you’re dead either 🤷🏻

Let’s not forget what lake we are talking about and how every year multiple people die because they try fishing when they should of stayed on the couch

I see most have missed the point..... I was asking if a forecast like this would be okay..... Obviously im not going to check it at the beginning of the week and say okay wont check it again and just go. The question was if those current conditions were okay. So if they stayed the same and were okay id go. If they got worse then I wouldn't go.

Back