Round 2 July 16th

tailfeathers

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Headed out to a very rough lake at 2.30 with my buddy Cam aboard the 4x4 24 foot proline. Cam is an aspiring charter captain so tailfeathers agreed to give him a break in on a rough lake. The fish cooperated filling the boat by 6.30. Waves up to 10 feet were present. We ran 1 rigger 2 dipseys on a 3 setting 120 back with rv wild perch and 4 leadcore with 2 being 5 and 2 being 6 color on inline boards. 18 nice fish 1 chummer and 3 happy customers. The lake was definitely not for the faint of heart or those with weak knees 😳. Mixed veggies was the spoon of the day.

Attachments

• 20230716_155028.mp4
    120.8 MB
  • 20230716_175859.jpg
    20230716_175859.jpg
    353.1 KB · Views: 200
  • 20230716_180453.jpg
    20230716_180453.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 200
  • 20230716_183432.mp4
    86.8 MB
Nice work. Bouncy lake takes a bit of the fun away but doesn't slow down the bite. I think some of my best days were when everyone else was heading in. Customer chumming for the rest helps too.

Did the Mixed Veggies match the Mixed Veggie chum line?
Thats like "match the hatch" approach.
Could be a new system...feed customers the preferred spoon patterns the night before.
I can see a whole new line of spoons.."Lake Erie Barf Bag Capts Pack"...Buffalo Chicken Wing Prop Wash, Steak and Potato Spray, Hotdog Hurl, Burger Barf.
Better get my paints out...

Last edited:
Headed out to a very rough lake at 2.30 with my buddy Cam aboard the 4x4 24 foot proline. Cam is an aspiring charter captain so tailfeathers agreed to give him a break in on a rough lake. The fish cooperated filling the boat by 6.30. Waves up to 10 feet were present. We ran 1 rigger 2 dipseys on a 3 setting 120 back with rv wild perch and 4 leadcore with 2 being 5 and 2 being 6 color on inline boards. 18 nice fish 1 chummer and 3 happy customers. The lake was definitely not for the faint of heart or those with weak knees 😳. Mixed veggies was the spoon of the day.
Amazing video’s @tailfeathers 👍👍 and your fishing post from your day of fishing as well,especially about limiting out for you all,within a few hour’s!! 👍👍 If one of your customers on your charter boat gets sick,( chumming the water 🤢🤮 ), due to those rough lake conditions,would that person get their money back?? 🤔 Asking for a friend!! 😚 lol 😝 😉 My 18 foot boat,would likely not handle those “big wave” conditions like on your video’s,and I hope that I will never find out by accident!! Safety always first,unless you have a bigger boat such as yours,that would be able to handle those conditions,as you have proven! 👊👊 👍🙂

I was out yesterday too and it was choppy but two of us still limited out. Decided around 1130 to head back in and clean the fish on land instead of out on the lake cause it was getting way too choppy to be able to clean the fish without losing a finger or two (ok if you possess extra digits though)

And here I thought we were riding high in the 8footers at long point bay yesterday! Lol.

Nice catch & report capt.
Strange it was that rough in the longpoint area. Biggest waves registered all day at the weather buoy off Port Colborne were 2.6ft.

What's the new charter called? A suggestion "Take Your Life in Your Own Hands" Ten Footers, I believe even the tugs would stay home. I don't see a Life Jacket anywhere. Not my charter Captain and to think, if trouble arose, putting passengers, yourself and those that would attempt to save you in Harms Way. How many other boats were out there?

Strange it was that rough in the longpoint area. Biggest waves registered all day at the weather buoy off Port Colborne were 2.6ft.
Is that right!. I dont know if thats strange or not, never used the weather buoy when im going fishing or to gauge the waves.
If that bouy was registering 2.6ft all day then I would have to say it's just as accurate as a weather forecast can be from what i seen while on the water.. Or the bouy is accurate and the water never got that rough down that way.
Port colborn is about 40-45mils west of LPB.. Tailfeathers says 10ft at burwell, i say 8ft at LPB & Port colborn buoy says 2.6ft. Maybe it blew out by the time it reached the far east end..
Did you notice any strong/gusty winds down your way in port colborn?
It was a fun ride just the same, nothing the seasoned crew or the 27footer couldn't handle.

What's the new charter called? A suggestion "Take Your Life in Your Own Hands" Ten Footers, I believe even the tugs would stay home. I don't see a Life Jacket anywhere. Not my charter Captain and to think, if trouble arose, putting passengers, yourself and those that would attempt to save you in Harms Way. How many other boats were out there?
Opinions are like arseholes…everyone’s got one. No offence to you but I this forum is a place to share ideas, techniques and absorb the knowledge of people who have been doing this for longer than even I have been alive. Nobody wants or needs a ‘moral’ spanking on here.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks