Round 2 July 16th

Well I'll say with 45 plus years of boating experience myself and captain Cam having 45 plus years experience racing sailboats and having a 19 foot Lund for 20 plus years traded up to a self draining Pro line ocean boat there were no concerns of a problem. Everyone on board has been out before in rough water aboard tailfeathers. Disaster can strike on dead calm water it doesn't need rough conditions. No conditions were not ideal for a great lakes vessel that has to be pumped if water comes aboard. What can I say seasoned customers and Captain's who have more experience than the average weekend warrior had a very pleasant charter without someone trying to drive into the side of our vessel. And yes the fish vessels do go out in water that rough frequently if your there you know!

Is that right!. I dont know if thats strange or not, never used the weather buoy when im going fishing or to gauge the waves.
If that bouy was registering 2.6ft all day then I would have to say it's just as accurate as a weather forecast can be from what i seen while on the water.. Or the bouy is accurate and the water never got that rough down that way.
Port colborn is about 40-45mils west of LPB.. Tailfeathers says 10ft at burwell, i say 8ft at LPB & Port colborn buoy says 2.6ft. Maybe it blew out by the time it reached the far east end..
Did you notice any strong/gusty winds down your way in port colborn?
It was a fun ride just the same, nothing the seasoned crew or the 27footer couldn't handle.
Six Grand Port Colborn is east of longpoint the distance you've said and 2.6 feet works out to 5.2 feet from the bottom of the trough to the crest of the wave notice the use of nautical terms. If the waves are 4 to 5 seconds apart and your vessel floats I hope it does the seas are very manageable. In long swells your boat has time to recover before the next wave arrives. Dangerous waves are all waves of 4 foot up but only 2 seconds apart .

Is that right!. I dont know if thats strange or not, never used the weather buoy when im going fishing or to gauge the waves.
If that bouy was registering 2.6ft all day then I would have to say it's just as accurate as a weather forecast can be from what i seen while on the water.. Or the bouy is accurate and the water never got that rough down that way.
Port colborn is about 40-45mils west of LPB.. Tailfeathers says 10ft at burwell, i say 8ft at LPB & Port colborn buoy says 2.6ft. Maybe it blew out by the time it reached the far east end..
Did you notice any strong/gusty winds down your way in port colborn?
It was a fun ride just the same, nothing the seasoned crew or the 27footer couldn't handle.
Just goes to show the difference across the lake. Different weather just 40 miles away.

Six Grand Port Colborn is east of longpoint the distance you've said and 2.6 feet works out to 5.2 feet from the bottom of the trough to the crest of the wave notice the use of nautical terms. If the waves are 4 to 5 seconds apart and your vessel floats I hope it does the seas are very manageable. In long swells your boat has time to recover before the next wave arrives. Dangerous waves are all waves of 4 foot up but only 2 seconds apart .
Hahaha! Your 100% right it's East. Lol.. I should fix that.

Count the buoy readings ×2 to a total of 5.2ft, will do. That makes for a much closer reading to 8ft that i figure we were in.
I Did not know that about the buoy and never had used it before but that's basically how I figured 8ft.. the graph was jumping 4 up and 4 down, 60fow = 56-64.

The seas were vary manageable indeed, long swells with the odd biggin that you could hear cresting as she approached.. every 5 seconds or so.
We seen the forecast was calling for a chance at a firm gust by mid day so the capt. ran south west a bit ahead of time to "roll" back with the waves/swells before she started puffing at full power.. made for a rather relaxing, peaceful troll back to Port. Honestly I don't mind those conditions at all.
We had the right boat and crew, All was well.

Just goes to show the difference across the lake. Different weather just 40 miles away.
You’re saying this as tho people involved in this conversation don’t already know this…
You can have different winds between Glasgow and Stanley as well 🤷🏻
Depending which way the wind is blowing the stabley buoy can be useless when fishing Glasgow or burwell

@tailfeathers dont they know thats SURFIN weather... HAHAHAHAHAHA
Surfing plus fishing should be an Olympic sport. Interestingly there were a couple wind surfers out there off Burwell a mile or so glad they didn't need rescued! Some people live life and others are morbidly afraid of letting people live life not on their terms.

Opinions are like arseholes…everyone’s got one. No offence to you but I this forum is a place to share ideas, techniques and absorb the knowledge of people who have been doing this for longer than even I have been alive. Nobody wants or needs a ‘moral’ spanking on here.
Well said. No one should tell anyone they cannot wear crocs on a boat or a straw hat that has you looking for Dorothy and Toto.

Well deserved catching there. Awesome. I have not fished walleye on Erie for 20 some years. I need to talk to friends and do a Tailfeather trip that I keep reading and seeing.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks