Remembering the 80s

Toad

With the walleye fishing being as good as it is right now I can’t help but remembering the 80s. We lost all our old photos in a basement flood some years back but I was wondering if any of our older members may have some pictures of the great coho fishing that was once available in Lake Erie. I know waverunner has some. Let’s see what’s out there.

With the walleye fishing being as good as it is right now I can’t help but remembering the 80s. We lost all our old photos in a basement flood some years back but I was wondering if any of our older members may have some pictures of the great coho fishing that was once available in Lake Erie. I know waverunner has some. Let’s see what’s out there.
Got to be some pictures out there

Yah the 80s great time for Erie fishing bonanza. I have more coho photos somewhere but it's finding them in the thousands of 35 mm photos I have in boxes. Remember what 24 walleye limits in the 80s looked like when a 7 lber was considered a little guy? Yikes! Myself I prefer these 2-4 lbers we have now for eating any day. ;):)

wow 39 years ago seems like yesterday
001.jpg

002.jpg

I should mention I loved those Erie coho salmon smoked, were so much better than bows. I wish the US side still stalked them but it sure was fun while it lasted.

Yah the 80s great time for Erie fishing bonanza. I have more coho photos somewhere but it's finding them in the thousands of 35 mm photos I have in boxes. Remember what 24 walleye limits in the 80s looked like when a 7 lber was considered a little guy? Yikes! Myself I prefer these 2-4 lbers we have now for eating any day. ;):)

wow 39 years ago seems like yesterday
View attachment 15945

View attachment 15946
Great photos Robert Jackie looks so young as do u also. Hate to say it but those were the days Lake Erie had it all. Wish we could have some of that coho fishing now. Hopefully other members will post so also

If the lake supported them ,I would love to see them stocked into Lake Erie again as a put and take fish .that was my first fishing experience fishing offshore on Lake Erie

heres a few photos of our lake erie salmon & 3 different trout from just 85 to 89...not posting walleyes or cooler shots

erie salmon & misc highlights 1985-89 114.jpgfirst fish first 5 minutes fishin on my brand new 85 boat on erie

erie salmon & misc highlights 1985-89 113.jpgnext 2 trips first erie cohos erie salmon & misc highlights 1985-89 117.jpg

erie salmon & misc highlights 1985-89 115.jpg erie salmon & misc highlights 1985-89 118.jpg erie salmon & misc highlights 1985-89 116.jpg erie salmon & misc highlights 1985-89 122.jpg erie salmon & misc highlights 1985-89 120.jpg erie salmon & misc highlights 1985-89 119.jpg 5 kings 4 coho

erie salmon & misc highlights 1985-89 121.jpg my dad with a nice erie king

Last edited:
heres my last 3 pics i am sharing...I wonder what a couple of them fish are...any guesses...

erie salmon & misc highlights 1985-89 124.jpg erie salmon & misc highlights 1985-89 123.jpg my mom loved fishing with me..

erie salmon & misc highlights 1985-89 112.jpg ya these chunks were spitting out alewifes ...8 coho & 2 kings = 2 buddy limit in 2.5 hours..one line per person..

heres my last 3 pics i am sharing...I wonder what a couple of them fish are...any guesses...

View attachment 15971 View attachment 15972 my mom loved fishing with me..

View attachment 15973 ya these chunks were spitting out alewifes ...8 coho & 2 kings = 2 buddy limit in 2.5 hours..one line per person..
Fantastic photos mick

View attachment 15973 ya these chunks were spitting out alewifes ...8 coho & 2 kings = 2 buddy limit in 2.5 hours..one line per person..
[/QUOTE. ]. Outstanding pictures mick thanks for sharing

Hard to tell for sure mick on my phone. But the picture with the three fish could be a palamino or as some call them golden trout remember some being caught out at the lighthouse

yes Toad you are absolutely right a 5 lb palamino hen...caught off plum Pt on Blue & silver AC shiners along with the 2 cohos ..walleyes too
My mom cranked in that skamania...

Hey Toad you can still share a few highlights of your memorable catches on erie..

@Toad... hey John I found this 35mm with Jackie holding a couple so I scanned it for you. We were both 31 when I took this photo of him as we were in the other photos. I have more photos for sure but just realized my daughter borrowed most of the photos as she wanted to scan some I have when she was a kid. You know how it goes like always they never return stuff. :rolleyes: LOL! When she brings them back next time she visits I will see if I can find the rest.

Jackie with coho 001.jpg

Last edited:
No photo’s from @Red Hering fishing on lake erie back in the 80’s.I was fishing for chinook salmon and rainbows back then mostly on Lake Huron.I have photo’s from Lake Huron from the 80’s if anyone wants me to post them,but this post is all about lake erie fishing from the 80’s,and keep those photo’s coming!! ?????

those 2 salmon are lake ontario kings...lol

hey red herring the huron kings were hot off kincardine back in the day...first trip ever out off point clark reef we hammered a 2 buddy limit easy...we were hooked after that...we canned down alot of salmon season after season...gorging on alewifes there were pushing 30lbs by late august

@Toad... Sorry John I leafed through some photos and seeing a young Jackie just scanned it thinking they were some Erie coho. Should have looked a little closer they definitely are some Lake Ontario kings probably from that era also not sure. I will get the rest of the other photos when Roxanne returns them and post them for you.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks