Remembering the 80s

@Toad... hey John I found this 35mm with Jackie holding a couple so I scanned it for you. We were both 31 when I took this photo of him as we were in the other photos. I have more photos for sure but just realized my daughter borrowed most of the photos as she wanted to scan some I have when she was a kid. You know how it goes like always they never return stuff. :rolleyes: LOL! When she brings them back next time she visits I will see if I can find the rest.

View attachment 15974
Beautiful picture Robert.

yes Toad you are absolutely right a 5 lb palamino hen...caught off plum Pt on Blue & silver AC shiners along with the 2 cohos ..walleyes too
My mom cranked in that skamania...

Hey Toad you can still share a few highlights of your memorable catches on erie..
For me mick my most memorable trip was of
yes Toad you are absolutely right a 5 lb palamino hen...caught off plum Pt on Blue & silver AC shiners along with the 2 cohos ..walleyes too
My mom cranked in that skamania...

Hey Toad you can still share a few highlights of your memorable catches on erie..
for me mick my most memorable trip on Erie was off the old ramp on the beach side in rondeau park. We caught over 40 coho in one day. Was by far the most amazing fishing I have ever seen. Was not the best place to launch though. I’m sure others will remember it as well

No photo’s from @Red Hering fishing on lake erie back in the 80’s.I was fishing for chinook salmon and rainbows back then mostly on Lake Huron.I have photo’s from Lake Huron from the 80’s if anyone wants me to post them,but this post is all about lake erie fishing from the 80’s,and keep those photo’s coming!! ?????
Hey red by all means share some 80s pictures. Do u still have any pictures of your folding boat??

ya thats good fishing one rod per person
big numbers for us the rainbows with a few cohos mixed in ...glasgow was our biggest catch... erieau & wheatly secondary and the lighthouse for my personnal biggest coho & rainbow & laker & king..for fight nothing better then the kings...my king salmon fishing started on owen sound in 78..size & numbers were good back then..alewifes were abundant...

Hey red by all means share some 80s pictures. Do u still have any pictures of your folding boat??
Thanks & Yes,I will share some of my photo’s sometime tomorrow from lake huron from the 80’s. ;)?:)

ya thats good fishing one rod per person
big numbers for us the rainbows with a few cohos mixed in ...glasgow was our biggest catch... erieau & wheatly secondary and the lighthouse for my personnal biggest coho & rainbow & laker & king..for fight nothing better then the kings...my king salmon fishing started on owen sound in 78..size & numbers were good back then..alewifes were abundant...
For me most my Lake Huron trips were in the winter to Douglas point. Tons off good trips there

heres a few photos of our lake erie salmon & 3 different trout from just 85 to 89...not posting walleyes or cooler shots

View attachment 15960first fish first 5 minutes fishin on my brand new 85 boat on erie

View attachment 15961next 2 trips first erie cohos View attachment 15962

View attachment 15963 View attachment 15965 View attachment 15966 View attachment 15967 View attachment 15968 View attachment 15969 5 kings 4 coho

View attachment 15970 my dad with a nice erie king
Mick, see you fished with Scott ( RIP), have few photos of him on some of our fishing trips, great pictures!

Thanks fishaholic for noticing..yes Scott and i were avid salmon & trout fishermen together for years...so sorry to loose such a close friend so early..

The totally amazing part of this whole thread is that Lake Erie was officially declared "dead" back in 1969-70 due to pollution...The Cuyahoga River in Ohio caught fire 3 times due to the chemicals floating on it. Within 10 years of an agreement between Canada and the US to end chemical dumping into rivers and the lake, it came back to life and has prospered in production to this day !! Really a truly amazing comeback story.

Same here, I was 11.
How did we had Coho salmon in Erie at that time?
Was it stocked?
By who?

The Coho's were so abundant back then (thanks to the Americans) that Port Stanley had 2 Coho Derby's on at the same time with sum Prizes for the largest Walleye and a boat for the biggest Salmon. My nephew won a Canoe one year for the largest Walleye (12lbs).

The most productive method for catching them back then was using Dodgers and Flys (Squids) with a lot of Walleye caught off them. The popular Spoons back then were Manistee's (Chartreuse with Red Dots) and Northport Nailers. The popular Diver were Pink Ladys and a Downrigger was a must.

Like @Toad said we also to did sum Eastside Rondeau Point fishing. My brother and I dragged a 14ft Springbok with a 9.9 Merc across Terrace Beach then had only a short run out the Coho. You couldn't keep them off your Rods.

Lake Erie Fish Stocking Database (COHO) by OH, PA, NY AND MI 1968-2002

The Coho's were so abundant back then (thanks to the Americans) that Port Stanley had 2 Coho Derby's on at the same time with sum Prizes for the largest Walleye and a boat for the biggest Salmon. My nephew won a Canoe one year for the largest Walleye (12lbs).

The most productive method for catching them back then was using Dodgers and Flys (Squids) with a lot of Walleye caught off them. The popular Spoons back then were Manistee's (Chartreuse with Red Dots) and Northport Nailers. The popular Diver were Pink Ladys and a Downrigger was a must.

Like @Toad said we also to did sum Eastside Rondeau Point fishing. My brother and I dragged a 14ft Springbok with a 9.9 Merc across Terrace Beach then had only a short run out the Coho. You couldn't keep them off your Rods.

Lake Erie Fish Stocking Database (COHO) by OH, PA, NY AND MI 1968-2002
You have any pictures to share??

I worked at Ford for 33 years and in 1980 and 81 we were shut down for 6 months including the entire summer both years. Taking out many guys from Ford we just hammered the coho fishing most weeks at least 5 days all summer long regardless of the weather except when the waves were over 6 feet. ? We were young and crazy but it was such fantastic fishing and I was extremely lucky to have such a great wife. ? I can remember one 7 straight day stretch in particular where I actually felt I was still in a moving boat even though I was standing in my living room. It was simply time to take a break! :) We always fished from Glasgow to Rondeau running 4 riggers with dodger and flies catching literally thousands of Coho during that 2 year span. That kind of fishing would kill me now for sure but man what a nice way go. :p:D Bring back the coho! ?

I worked at Ford for 33 years and in 1980 and 81 we were shut down for 6 months including the entire summer both years. Taking out many guys from Ford we just hammered the coho fishing most weeks at least 5 days all summer long regardless of the weather except when the waves were over 6 feet. ? We were young and crazy but it was such fantastic fishing and I was extremely lucky to have such a great wife. ? I can remember one 7 straight day stretch in particular where I actually felt I was still in a moving boat even though I was standing in my living room. It was simply time to take a break! :) We always fished from Glasgow to Rondeau running 4 riggers with dodger and flies catching literally thousands of Coho during that 2 year span. That kind of fishing would kill me now for sure but man what a nice way go. :p:D Bring back the coho! ?
Was a great time to be able to fish for sure Robert. I too was lucky enough to have an understanding wife that allowed me every minute to fish and hunt. 43 years now. Wow how time goes.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks