Recommendations for fishing lodge?

looking to get a fishing lodge for a couple nights in may. Would need to rent one of there boats. And would like to catch a lot of walleye! I'm assuming that it would be a northern Ontario Lake, drive in and not break the bank.
And info would be appreciated, thanks!

Are you looking for quality or quantity? ?? I know you said a lot of walleye!! Well nippising is not what it once was so I would steer clear of there. The upper and lower french gas a good fishery still and there are huge walleye there. Rainbow camp in upper channel or loons landing has always been good. I fishes Agnew lake lodge last spring and it was good lots of walleye in the river . Horwood lake is another favorite . All are dive to and boat rental availability.

Are you looking for quality or quantity? ?? I know you said a lot of walleye!! Well nippising is not what it once was so I would steer clear of there. The upper and lower french gas a good fishery still and there are huge walleye there. Rainbow camp in upper channel or loons landing has always been good. I fishes Agnew lake lodge last spring and it was good lots of walleye in the river . Horwood lake is another favorite . All are dive to and boat rental availability.
Quantity. Thanks for the help, I'll check those out

i second horwood, cant go wrong its a great fishery. Troll or jig the points and have fun. Never stayed at the lodge but they are nice people and good info from them.

I can second horwood outpost, even my wife had a blast and richard runs a fantastic operation and the price was great but if your bringing your own boat the road in is a little rough so take your time.

I can tell you that taking my wife who is a city girl I had my doubts and when she found out about the shower that was for the whole camp, cause each cabin does not have a shower I was worried, she had no issues and the group of guys up there were awesome all Americans except us and one other cabin were great people to talk to the yanks were hunting bears when we went in late August and when we got back from fishing each night we would go down to the dock and see what they shot, great time and every night the main cabin which has a screened in porch the guys all got together and shot the shit. You won't be disappointed. The cabins are nice but remember its a boat in camp so double check your gear before you leave mainland, its a 12 mile ride.

I would say the cabins are a little rustic but very clean. Propane stove, refrigerator, Woodstove, flush shitter, bbq. Basic hydro from dawn to dusk. All the cabins I've been in have a deck that overlooks the lake, I would suggest bringing your own chair for the deck. No cell phone or internet reception which is heaven for me. Everyone is friendly, pretty sure if you are not a fit for the camp you don't get back in. I have photos of the insides of the cabin if you want pictures wave runner, not sure to post them on here or PM them to you if you are interested.

@Dmanwithnoname and @ Huntnfish... appreciate the info and please do PM me with the photos of the cabins. :)

I'm thinking of maybe taking my son and his friend for a spring fishing trip to Horwood Lake.

@i want fish,check out: Big Bear Camp website, (a drive to),located on Horwood Lake near Timmins.My neighbour has been going there now for quite a few years,usually twice a year,(Spring & Fall),& always comes back and raves to me on how good the Walleye Fishing is.Good Luck on your Walleye fishing trip next year,wherever you will be fishing.

Last edited:
I have been to Big Bear Camp several times always lots of fish and good people. They were always helpful on where the bit was on at the time(fall for us) good luck on your trip.. Red...

I've been to Horseshoe Camp a number of times. The fishing has always been decent; even on the slower days for walleye and bass, the pike would always be ready to come and play.
What we found and what Don (Camp owner) had told us, you'll be marking fish below the 20 foot mark; but don't even bother going after them. They just won't hit on anything being offered. The best depths we found for most species, were from 12 -20 feet.
Why we stopped going was that my brother is fighting cancer and we needed a place that was relatively close to a hospital; just in case. One other thing about the camp (Not to sound of sour grapes); but the lack of hydro gets a bit stale, by the end of a couple of weeks.
Also bring enough drinking & cooking water that you think you'll need for the week. The water in the cabins is pumped from the lake into a holding tank; that's on top of the hill, behind the mainland cottages. The intake line for the pump is less then 25 feet from the one cottage's toilet discharge pipe. You decide whether you want to drink the water. LOL
The cabins are well kept with good screens on the windows and doors. The lighting, fridge and cook top all run on propane; which does make the cottage a bit warm; but not unbearable; as long as there's a breeze.
I may get some shit for this; but if you do go , there's one spot you've got to try. Its about 2.5 miles North of camp, about 1/4 mile past the end of Bell Island; the lake/river narrows to approx 100 yards wide; between an island and mainland. This narrow section runs for about 150 yards; we called the marry go-round. We'd troll about 10-15 feet off the shore line, up to where the lake starts to widen. Then cut across to the opposite shore and then back down again, making a circular route. A #4 shad rap in perch and the walleye couldn't resist; caught a lot of our suppers there.

Dan.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks