Off Topic Rapala RSC II Linecounter Reels

fishstalker

Just thought I would share.
I bought 4 of the 45 size above reels new in 2018.
Im about to take the second of them for repairs.
1st one level wind did not return on the traveler and piled the line on one side of the reel.
2nd one - drag slips when you reel a fish in and clicker not working.
Ive had best luck with Okumas.
Penn GTIs were good too!
Just a heads up, no more Rapalas for me after these.
Thank goodness for Kenny's Reel Repair in Hamilton.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-09-23-09-32-20.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-23-09-32-20.png
    787.8 KB · Views: 61
I had one that I used for leadcore for a couple of years. It never gave me a problem, but I only used it for walleye. Anyone that I know who has used one for salmon has blown them up.

Ive only used the 2 that failed on lead core.
Still have 2 I use on wire for dipseys.
Next ones: Okuma Coldwater high ratio

Had the same issue with the Rapala Hydros reels as well. Worked great for 2 years then fell apart. I even oil and clean every year. Never again for Rapala/ Shimano and Okuma all the way

Just thought I would share.
I bought 4 of the 45 size above reels new in 2018.
Im about to take the second of them for repairs.
1st one level wind did not return on the traveler and piled the line on one side of the reel.
2nd one - drag slips when you reel a fish in and clicker not working.
Ive had best luck with Okumas.
Penn GTIs were good too!
Just a heads up, no more Rapalas for me after these.
Thank goodness for Kenny's Reel Repair in Hamilton.

Thanks for heads up. My daiwa lc great lakes reel gave up this year after 20 + years and can t get parts anymore. May go to okuma or daiwa sealine since the gl is no longer made. Anyone have any preference . Thanks

Diawa Saltist have been good for me. Kinda pricey but well built and I'm on year 6 with no issues. I wipe the dirt off and they bounce around in the bottom of my boat. That's all the love they get. I would no go any smaller than a 400 and recomend a 500 or 600 for lead core . The 300s don't hold enough.

I threw away my Rapala Hydros reels. Nice reels while they worked but they started falling apart after about 2 years and parts weren't available.

I have been running Penn 210,Penn 209 and Penn 320 gti on the great lakes since 1989.Never had a problem with them.I caught the Canadian record browntrout on lake O in 1989 using a Penn 210.Which is now retired.

All my level winds are penns, buy them once for life. Course there are bigger, faster, shinier, more expensive, more bearings.....blah, blah blah.

Anything that comes from Rapala is disposable garbage. Warranty sucks and customer service is non existant. I can't figure out how they seem to keep growing their product lines but clearly people are buying their junk..

Josh

Hmmm… I have 4 Rapala HDR30LC Hydros I bought from Josh 8 years ago that I'm still using and haven't even cleaned or oiled once. They haven't let me down yet but if I were looking for new reels especially for the price I would look seriously at the Penn Warfare LC.

Hmmm… I have 4 Rapala HDR30LC Hydros I bought from Josh 8 years ago that I'm still using and haven't even cleaned or oiled once. They haven't let me down yet but if I were looking for new reels especially for the price I would look seriously at the Penn Warfare LC.
I also use the hydros.Had them for 6 years without any problems

Been through too many too quick! Rapalas line counters are junk, Okumas are a little better junk, Diawas still holding up after 7 years, Penn's have been my best levelwinds without any issue. Wish I had the line counter models though. Maybe Xmas?? ?

Rapala is an entry player in rods and reels.
Yes they have good lures (name/reputation) but rods and reels as I said not the best.
Stay with Okuma/Daiwa/Penn for reels with line counter.

Our Tritons have survived 20 years. The 300 shown on the left does the heavy lifting. Not a light reel in the hand but solid contender when rigging in Lake O and Erie. The G series is a good second place shown on the right. Lighter to handle hasn't let us down.

Attachments

• reels.png
    reels.png
    741.5 KB · Views: 35
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks