Off Topic Rapala RSC II Linecounter Reels

These reels are total junk .My buddy is sponsored by Rapala ,trolling rods break like peanut brittle and the trolling reels are garbage,AVOID. I still use three Diawa 27HLC that are 31 years old.

Wow am I ever happy I've been informed that my Rapala Hydros reels and Magnum dipsy trolling rods are absolute junk. After 8 years of heavy fishing abuse without any maintenance whatsoever or a single failure I would never have known I was fishing with a reel that falls apart on a rod made of crystalized peanut butter. ?

Last edited:
I use Okuma MAGDA MA45DXT... good bang for your buck. Never had an issue. Gave them to my lady friend who used them for 2 years in the Queen Charlotte's pulling in many 50+ pounders. She broke several rods but the reels never failed her (she knows how to work the drag system;)). I'm sure there are much better units out there but these 45's performed outstanding for what we put them through.

Thanks for all the input on reel experience. Beside the great lakes daiwa reel the other reels i have had great experience with is penn. have ordered a penn warfar lc reel at a great price. All the 209 309 and gt1 i use have all lasted 20 years with basically no maintenance just leave drag loose for storage and a little oil .If the warfar stands up for 20 years it will be my sons cause i will be too old to crank a big one in

2nd my diawa sealines 27Hs still cranking great lakes fish after 34 years/seasons..matched with the classic tubular wrapped light action ugly stiks 9 footers..all bending today after 34 seasons...that comes from the era buy them once & they last a lifetime..I also own penn mag 10s & shimano stradics spinning same era..

its been my experience big game shimano has exceeded Penn international for performance on the big bluewater..there both exceptional..

I have been running Penn 210,Penn 209 and Penn 320 gti on the great lakes since 1989.Never had a problem with them.I caught the Canadian record browntrout on lake O in 1989 using a Penn 210.Which is now retired.
Would love to see a pic of that brown if you have one :)

I have been running Penn 210,Penn 209 and Penn 320 gti on the great lakes since 1989.Never had a problem with them.I caught the Canadian record browntrout on lake O in 1989 using a Penn 210.Which is now retired.
Was it on display in a store in Alberton years ago?

I saw it more then once, story was you caught her trolling by the 4 leg monster not far from the skyway? Awesome fish!

Yes it was October 11, 1989.We were in 24 fow between the 4 legged monster and the pump house.She sounded three times to the bottom and couldn't raise her .Finally came to the net and barely fit.Took two of us to lift her into the boat.Battle of a lifetime and proud of it.Shes on the wall now with us here at Peacock Point.A day I will never forget.

Very cool! We were catching 8-12lbers on a good day back then(browns) That fish was a real trophy. Congrats and thanks for replying........on a penn 209 lol you were patient and reeled alot! I used 209,s and 309,s then also. I graduated to 320,s, still have the original 320,s and use them, run some 330 and line counters of course, latest additions Rivals and warfares.......so far all good, have not used new models enough to say bulletproof. Can't tell a Ford man Dodge Is better ect.............lots of great tackle on the market.

I am using pens and okuma and having problems with the one okuma...no more clicker on retrieve or let out

I know one thing its not that easy to find higher end quality reels at the tackle shops around here in brands shimano & diawa..most guys don't want to put out the cash on the big price tag..tackle shops don't offer them...I see alot of Okuma and there priced to sell..never new rapala brand offered reels & rods?...I do like and so do the fish that jointed rapala..

I have run Daiwa Lexa 100 line countersthis year. They are the smallest and lightest of the Lexa line. They are really nice for walleye as they are low profile, hold 150 yards of 30 lb. Power Pro. Very smooth reels. I have used Shimano Triton for many years too and they are still working.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks