Pt Stanley Smelt is it possible?

floatin rig

Is there at all a Smelt run anymore in port? I really want to try dragging for some at night along the beach . Has anyone heard of it in the last few years , is it worth a try or am I just going to waste my time? Does anyone even rember what time they used to run now or in May? Any kind of info would be great thanks!

The smelt run is more of a 'slow walk' nowadays. you will get some but you won't get the numbers that everyone used to get.

I have dipped at pt bruce and gotten enough for a feed - but its a bit of work to get any numbers - hit and miss.

WR

A little early for smelts on the beach , They use to run to beach to spawn , now they are mostly spawning deep , I would say May before they are ready to spawn . Weather and water temp in next few weeks will determine timing

All the info is greatly appreciated will wait for a couple of weeks , but I am going to try , and if anyone wants to help let me know and we can set something up Cheers!

I have been trying for a couple years and never hit it at the right time but I am up for trying again.. I usually just throw my 6x6 dip net but I also have a 20' seine net I wouldn't mind trying off the beach so if you looking for help I am game.

I use a 150 ft net for minnows, off port stanely ,sometimes get some smelt ,like a dozen, but yet to see a hole big school, but anything is possible ,but I can say water is cold, so a 20 ft doesn't have much reach

Ps. Not sure about rules on using a seine net for the average guy, with out commercial lic. ??

Last edited:
Sure don't sound like the smelt are really around if you are using a 150' seine net and only getting a few.. Anyone correct me if im wrong but as a sport licence holder I believe I am able to have up to a 32.8' in length and 6.5' high seine net legally without a commercial licence? only for smelt. Now when you say you get a dozen is that per scoop or each time you are down there?

Maybe each time down there, but it seems to me it was mostly mid June, if by chance we come across some ,some were ,I will post it for you, I do recall 3 winters ago in Feb guys just putting in time ice fishing here in river of port Bruce were hauling them in one after another on there lines for some reason

I have been trying for smelt done in port Bruce but haven't seen any yet I would be game for going out in port Stanley sometime if you need extra help

Wasn't aware they came into the smaller creeks in the winter. I know ice fishing for them is productive on the Grand below Dunnville...

Josh

A few of us gave this a go last week on the north shore of Erie on a small trib. Only minnows to be had. I will say however that we have got a few in years past. I am only using a little 12' seine net. Anyone have an idea where I could obtain a larger one in the 30' range.

A few of us gave this a go last week on the north shore of Erie on a small trib. Only minnows to be had. I will say however that we have got a few in years past. I am only using a little 12' seine net. Anyone have an idea where I could obtain a larger one in the 30' range.
You can order them on line

Anyone from Hamilton remember the catches of Smelts along the pier east of the lift bridge in the 60's and early 70's? That was crazy. Bushel baskets overflowing, we stacked them 2 high in the back of the 59 Chevy station wagon. I remember cleaning hundreds with a pair of sharp scissors late into the night if it wasn't a school night. I'm sure that pier would be shoulder to shoulder on weekends. My Dad (who turned 88 today, whooo hahhh) had Sunday Monday off, I missed smelt fishing because I got many mornings off school for a few weeks in April, I waited with baited breath to hear "you coma downa the stairs and help me and your uncle " instead of "wash up and go to bed you go to school early". That meant I didn't have to get up for school the next morning. It was a rite of passage when you got promoted from pouring the vino to holding the light!!! When I was strong enough to haul up the net I would rather chase skirts in Montgomery Park, (dummy me)!

edit, Nothing to do with Smelts but I'm blessed not only to still have Dad and I'm 60 but Mom is still with us at 84. I don't have many friends that still have 1 still alive , most around my age have lost both, to have 2 with us is crazy lucky, that man worked in the steel plant for 35 years and layed brick and did ceramic tile into his late 70's and that was before Health and Safety was even a slogan. Happy Birthday Tony D.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks