Port Glasgow Sunday Morning

ob1goby

Fished Glasgow Sunday Morning and started in 50 feet and trolled to 58 feet. Did not mark anything and did not get any bites running 2 dipseys at 100, 1 leadcore at 4 colours and two downriggers 25 and 35 feet down. Decided to move into 44 feet of water and switched program to taildancers and reefrunners 150 feet back off of planer boards and ended up with 10 nice walleye from 2-4 pounds. Ended up running 2 rods off each planerboard 70 ft. away from boat and one dipsy down 50 feet. Dipsy took one fish, planer boards took 9.

What were you running off of the dipseys? I was out same time and has success straight out of PGYC; 52'-58' dipsy setting 3 out 75' with worm harness (any colour) netted me a few eyes.

I also had pretty good luck in 52 to 53 fow just west of port with worm harnesses. Hooked 8 landed 5 between 21 and 25 inches.
We also had good luck just west of port doing big loops between 50 and 53’ , dipsey out each side on 3 setting one out 75’ the other 100’ one with a purple spoon and one with rrf each got 4, 8 colour lead with rrf got 3 and rigger with purple spoon got one ,, good start to season

Curious....

To all who were successful, what did you find in the stomachs when you cleaned your catch?

Every single one of ours (14) from Saturday had completely empty stomachs. Sunday I can't speak for as those two were gifted.

Curious....

To all who were successful, what did you find in the stomachs when you cleaned your catch?

Every single one of ours (14) from Saturday had completely empty stomachs. Sunday I can't speak for as those two were gifted.
Ours were the same,, empty

Mine out of PGYC also had empty stomachs. Mind you I haven’t really seen any balls or schools of bait on my helix, yet. I saw only one nice school during my 5 hrs on Sunday.

almost every time I check stomachs they are empty.. my theory is they are fighting so hard while being dragged at 2mph they are puking everything out while we are pulling them in. All i know is its tough to beat a 4-5" slim body crank bait in this area for walleyes.

Nothing in the bellies of mine

I was out of Port Glasgow on Sunday and caught 9 eyes. The first two were at 65 feet and then nothing. Trolled into 30 feet and picked up 7. One at 28" and it was puking up gobies. Stomach was right full of them too. These must be the resident fish in shallow. Hit Jerry Lee, and gold redfin on 4 and 5 colour core and dipsey on a 2, set 50 to 60 feet back

I was out of Port Glasgow on Sunday and caught 9 eyes. The first two were at 65 feet and then nothing. Trolled into 30 feet and picked up 7. One at 28" and it was puking up gobies. Stomach was right full of them too. These must be the resident fish in shallow. Hit Jerry Lee, and gold redfin on 4 and 5 colour core and dipsey on a 2, set 50 to 60 feet back

There are definitely plenty of resident fish all along the north shore. And I've noticed that they seem to be much larger in average than alot of the migratory fish. The ones we get in shallow early in the season are often 25-30" fish where as the migratory fish that start rolling in around this time of year are much smaller on average. This trend will no doubt change in the coming years as those spectacular year classes grow.

And yes, many of the 'Eyes are adapting to the plentiful goby population that is present in shallower water. Gone are the days where we had to run out to 60-70' and find fish feeding mostly on smelt or other deeper water prey. Most fish we got into this past weekend at Erieau were feeding on shiners I believe (didn't check stomach contents). We were marking lots of bait balls suspended at 20'ish in 35-37' near shore. I have no doubt they cruise in to the warm shallows at night and gorge on gobies as well. Surface temps are right in their wheelhouse ATM and bottom temps are a little cooler causing them to suspend. As things warm up more and more of the Walleye will seek out slightly cooler temps near the bottom and feed more exclusively on the gobies.

I found it very strange that out of 30+ boats fishing Erieau Sunday morning we were the only ones in tight to shore!? Not sure how everyone else did but we sure got into them :) The fishfinder doesn't lie.....theres are a whole lot more fish in shallow than out deep the past couple seasons..

Josh

Stomachs were empty. Surface temps were getting warmer in tighter and decreasing in between 50-58. Almost similar to last year where you had a group in tight and a group out deep. You would think after the north blows the water temp would be getting warmer further out. On Wednesday out of Bruce 40-44 feet worked well with riggers and dispys close to the bottom. It seems there is temp band further out 65+ that runs along a shelf out of Erieau that sets up temps nice. Good to see some bows around Magician. I don't usually post but felt its time to share with those that populate this board with valuable information that has helped me make fishing choices. Its a big lake and a few months to get your fill.

Josh I believe your assessments are right on. The eyes I have caught in the last 2 weeks have been fat healthy fish with empty stomachs, but may have puked...

Curious....

I always checked my catch to see what there feeding on. Only time we really seen anything in there stomach was when we harvested a box while night trolling(from 9pm-midnight) out of nanticoke last year. Bottom of Cooler was loaded with DOZENS of 3-4inch smelt.
I had a perch I kept for a pet and studying for a few years till it got to big...you would be surprised how fast it could digest a minnow or two or even 3.. Overnight! Never was a day that it wouldn't eat EXCEPT after Thunder&lightning storms.. would make it sluggish and glue it rite to the bottom of the tank for a day or two.
Im sure the walleye puke up there feed while bring them to the boat but they could also just as well have digested most of there feed by sun up/mid morning.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks