Port Franks Gold

floatin rig

We hit the jackpot june 10 out of Port Franks 5 person limit of pickerel!!!! That's right limited out!!! 16 years fishing here never caught eyes and the BOOM!!

Attachments

• IMG_1263.JPG
    IMG_1263.JPG
    236.1 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_1264.JPG
    IMG_1264.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 270
Nice to hear about your success. Can you be more specific on the area and the rigs used. We love Port Franks. Thanks

I'm sorry friend , took me 16 years to find them , and even with that being said I'm not holding my breath to find them again , but if I do I will post again just to make sure it wasn't a fluke Thanks and Port Franks is Awesome

Although I had many memorable and enjoyable years of Salmon fishing in Lake Huron off Southampton, the Bruce Power Plant and my favourite Port, Kincardine the writing was on the wall for the collapse of the Salmon fishery and the reasons why. With that collapse, other fishing opportunities have emerged.

Just Google "decline of the Salmon in Lake Huron" and you will find many News Articles and Ministry Reports.

One such Article Dated April 19, 2011 http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2011/04/collapse_of_lake_huron_salmon.html Titled "Collapse of Lake Huron salmon fishery offers lessons" with excerpt "Consequently, native fish species in Lake Huron rebounded after the number of salmon and alewives (neither of which is native to the Great Lakes) plummeted.

Lake Huron now is gaining a reputation for having a fantastic walleye fishery. Anglers are catching just as many fish as they did during the heyday of the salmon fishery; they just aren’t catching many salmon.

Or from this LFP Article Dated March 28, 2016
http://www.lfpress.com/2016/03/27/anglers-prized-chinook-have-crashed-in-huron-thanks-in-part-to-past-efforts-to-cut-pollution Titled "Anglers’ prized Chinook have crashed in Huron, thanks in part to past efforts to cut pollution" with excerpt " Chinook were introduced into the Great Lakes to boost recreational fishing and to control alewives, a herring-like fish that entered the lakes in the late 1940s and 1950s.

But the population of alewives continued to climb in Lake Huron, thriving on the availability of their algae food source that was being boosted by phosphorus nutrients flowing into the lake.

Found in animal and human waste, and in chemical fertilizers, phosphorus washes into the Great Lakes from the vast farm belts they drain on both sides of the Canada-U.S. border.

Alewives became the main food source for the Chinook.

But then a couple of things happened.
Communities installed pollution-control plants to reduce the amount of phosphorus entering Huron, and quagga and tiny zebra mussels invaded the lake, sucking up more of the nutrients.

The resulting drop in nutrients in the lake reduced the amount of algae, the base of the lake’s food web.

“The predators and the nutrient limitation ultimately caused the alewive crash,” said Kao.

The alewives population collapse was followed by the sharp decline in Chinook salmon.

But the researchers suggest it isn’t necessarily bad news.
The lower level of nutrients in the lake makes it a better habitat for native fish species, such as walleye, lake trout, lake whitefish and lake herring, they wrote.

Although I had many memorable and enjoyable years of Salmon fishing in Lake Huron off Southampton, the Bruce Power Plant and my favourite Port, Kincardine the writing was on the wall for the collapse of the Salmon fishery and the reasons why. With that collapse, other fishing opportunities have emerged.

Just Google "decline of the Salmon in Lake Huron" and you will find many News Articles and Ministry Reports.

One such Article Dated April 19, 2011 http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index.ssf/2011/04/collapse_of_lake_huron_salmon.html Titled "Collapse of Lake Huron salmon fishery offers lessons" with excerpt "Consequently, native fish species in Lake Huron rebounded after the number of salmon and alewives (neither of which is native to the Great Lakes) plummeted.

Lake Huron now is gaining a reputation for having a fantastic walleye fishery. Anglers are catching just as many fish as they did during the heyday of the salmon fishery; they just aren’t catching many salmon.

Or from this LFP Article Dated March 28, 2016
http://www.lfpress.com/2016/03/27/anglers-prized-chinook-have-crashed-in-huron-thanks-in-part-to-past-efforts-to-cut-pollution Titled "Anglers’ prized Chinook have crashed in Huron, thanks in part to past efforts to cut pollution" with excerpt " Chinook were introduced into the Great Lakes to boost recreational fishing and to control alewives, a herring-like fish that entered the lakes in the late 1940s and 1950s.

But the population of alewives continued to climb in Lake Huron, thriving on the availability of their algae food source that was being boosted by phosphorus nutrients flowing into the lake.

Found in animal and human waste, and in chemical fertilizers, phosphorus washes into the Great Lakes from the vast farm belts they drain on both sides of the Canada-U.S. border.

Alewives became the main food source for the Chinook.

But then a couple of things happened.
Communities installed pollution-control plants to reduce the amount of phosphorus entering Huron, and quagga and tiny zebra mussels invaded the lake, sucking up more of the nutrients.

The resulting drop in nutrients in the lake reduced the amount of algae, the base of the lake’s food web.

“The predators and the nutrient limitation ultimately caused the alewive crash,” said Kao.

The alewives population collapse was followed by the sharp decline in Chinook salmon.

But the researchers suggest it isn’t necessarily bad news.
The lower level of nutrients in the lake makes it a better habitat for native fish species, such as walleye, lake trout, lake whitefish and lake herring, they wrote.
Excellent reasearch thanks for that !!

The same thing is happening on Lake Michigan right now, Alewife populations are way down and stocking of Chinook has been cut back. Alewife were also on the verge of collapse on Lake Ontario after a couple poor year classes but they seem safe for now....but things can change quickly! I personally wouldn't miss the Chinook at all! Steelhead and Coho are much more adaptable feeders and seem to flourish in the absence of the Chinook.

Josh

The same thing is happening on Lake Michigan right now, Alewife populations are way down and stocking of Chinook has been cut back. Alewife were also on the verge of collapse on Lake Ontario after a couple poor year classes but they seem safe for now....but things can change quickly! I personally wouldn't miss the Chinook at all! Steelhead and Coho are much more adaptable feeders and seem to flourish in the absence of the Chinook.

Josh

I totally agree

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks