Pier access closed

Josh Roelofsen

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)

Can't say I understand this one....and I'm sure its our tax dollars that go towards upkeep? This sets a bad precedent IMO. If we let this slide, what water access will be cut off next??

Petition here that may be worth signing..

Petition signed.
Hopefully that's not another fishing spot lost. Have done well in the fall for Salmon in the past

Not sure why the full article in the first link didn't work....but it seems its most definitely due to saftey concerns. Not sure I've heard of any issues in the past with this area, but it's good to know the government is looking out for your saftey 🙄

They already have....the MP discusses it in the second minute of the video.

https://www.chch.com/federal-government-bans-public-access-to-burlington-canal-piers/

If allowing people access to federal property is a liability concern, where does it end? All other piers owned by TC, National Parks off limits, Great Lakes Closed, they are all liabilities right????
that's just TOO convenient a reason----so much for transparency in our government. bet the MP who started this went home feeling proud of themself

just once I would like to see a petition like this have some positive effect on this ruling---like maybe NOT such a good idea after all. having said that---- think i'll sit here and drink :banghead: yes i'm STILL cranky :mad: three hundred reads and I wonder how many took the time to sign the petition

Maybe instead of spending millions of tax payers dollars building these piers and not allowing the public to use them,they should just drop boulders in the water.It would be less expensive. Wonder when the no boating within 100 feet of the pier signs are going up.I used to pitch Cleos for browns in the late 80's there.Fishing was good in the spring.Also did alot of smelting on the Burlington pier.Sad to see its restricted now.

I fished those piers and shores with coworkers and friends when I lived and worked in those areas as a much younger man. :eek::oops:

Something else The Wife and I did when our kids were young was take them down to the canal and have a picnic watching the freighters pass through the locks.

I guess that opportunity will also go away someday?

Just finished watching the video and reading a few articles. No one on here is talking about the person who slipped and fell then sued the govt. That person and the lawyers involved are the minority screwing the rest of us over. Myself and my family would never consider suing anyone to make a fast buck from our own mistake. Now we have become Americanized we see more of this type of behavior daily which is going to lead to more restrictions as time goes on. On the same vain I am seeing a complete disregard for the rules that govern navigable waterways. We ran the boat down the Grand river last year into lake Erie. The pier was wall to wall fishermen running floats right down the middle of the channel between buoys. We had to take the boat up over by the rocks to avoid line getting caught up in the pro and taking out the bearing seal. I spent many days on piers in Ontario and we always respected the boat traffic and reeled in when required. Lack of education and information seems to be the main issue with the new comers. When I was a young man a tune up from one of the seasoned gentlemen on the pier never hurt either. Now they would take a picture with their phone and have you charged.

haven't watched the video----did they win their case???? hope not----sorry bout your bad luck

people seem to have lawyers at their beck and call------"you'll hear from my lawyer" could be considered a threat????

signed. I am getting very tired of big brother. we used to live in a free country.
its time the government starts focusing on the real liabilities of our country starting with a concentrated reduction of the public spending and unnecessary government overhead

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks