new to Erie walleye

Right = starboard
Left = port
I’ve admittedly put them out the wrong way before… buuuut won’t make that mistake again!
Also if unsure just pay attention when you put it in the water
sometimes currents mess with your head when you put it in the water and it goes straight back. The right left thing is annoying because I'm always facing backwards while setting the dipsey and the right dipsey goes on the left (starboard) side and vice versa.

I'm just going to continue screwing it up. Or maybe I'll scratch S(tarboard) and P(ort) below the R and L on the bottom of the dipsey. Or maybe I'll just clue in that the weight goes on the inside - toward the boat, and actually remember that while I'm setting lines. I dunno.

sometimes currents mess with your head when you put it in the water and it goes straight back. The right left thing is annoying because I'm always facing backwards while setting the dipsey and the right dipsey goes on the left (starboard) side and vice versa.

I'm just going to continue screwing it up. Or maybe I'll scratch S(tarboard) and P(ort) below the R and L on the bottom of the dipsey. Or maybe I'll just clue in that the weight goes on the inside - toward the boat, and actually remember that while I'm setting lines. I dunno.
I leave the dipsys on the rods and have different colour line on the rod for port and starboard

I just leave my port side dipsy’s in a drawer on the port side and the same with my starboard side ones. Alleviates me screwing it up ANYMORE!

I think its clear that a few more rounds on the water will clear alot up. You've read lots of great tips on rod holders, troll speed, depth, kickers, setting the dipsey reel and letting it out and these guys are invaluable resources. I personally have never spent alot of time on L or R or port or starboard, I just put the dipsey in my hand the way it will run and look at the weight and how it will pitch the dipsey because that tells you which way it is gonna run. Once you look at them and understand how they are going to work the rest is easy and they are great tools on both Erie and Lake O.

Have fun and keep at it. It's alot of fun catching fish but alot of fun learning too.

I think its clear that a few more rounds on the water will clear alot up. You've read lots of great tips on rod holders, troll speed, depth, kickers, setting the dipsey reel and letting it out and these guys are invaluable resources. I personally have never spent alot of time on L or R or port or starboard, I just put the dipsey in my hand the way it will run and look at the weight and how it will pitch the dipsey because that tells you which way it is gonna run. Once you look at them and understand how they are going to work the rest is easy and they are great tools on both Erie and Lake O.

Have fun and keep at it. It's alot of fun catching fish but alot of fun learning too.
Great info on here for sure, and it does help on the water. Got a drift sock today to help with speed, and a pool noodle to organize leaders and worm harnesses. Other than making time to get out, I think I'm in good shape for a bit.

Simple dipsy set.

Face the Stern of the boat, hold the dipsy up with the weight bottom center and away from you.

Whichever way the spine points towards is the side of the boat the dipsy will track. 🌻
Once I have the dipsey set up for the side I want it to go, I match the color of the snubber with the navigation light on the boat. That way I always know which side of the boat to put the dipsey on.

Once I have the dipsey set up for the side I want it to go, I match the color of the snubber with the navigation light on the boat. That way I always know which side of the boat to put the dipsey on.
Not a bad idea, I use clear snubber, that’s why I went with two different colour lines
I have white and green line right now

My reels are marked, 3 of each for P or S, then line colour coded for position fore to aft.

My rods are also different lengths for help with separation.

Rods in constant use (4) are left complete with the lure and dipsy held in place with homemade lure pouches for travel.

Simple setup, pull them out of the holder, remove pouch, set dipsy, FISHING!!! 🌻

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks