new to Erie walleye

Buckhorn

Just got my dads 17ft legend bowrider after he bought a new one. picked up a trolling rod/reel combo and a dipsy. where is the best place for a newbie (on the big lake) to test out my new equipment on some walleye? coming from brantford, I was thinking of launching in the inner bay that way I can bring my perch/bass/pike gear also if trolling doesn't work out. Is it a long ride to the walleye from the inner bay? should I launch somewhere else? my priority is to test out the new (to me) boat and gear on walleye.

Glasgow is the place to go. They will jump into the boat for rookies, lol 55 to 60 fow for me today with a very late start somewhere around 10 AM to just after noon by myself. Landed 14 Walters and lost about 3 and boated 2 huge sheep as well. 40 feet and 50 feet down on riggers with rrf on both

Go too bruce Stanley..60 -64 ft ...troll 3 mph dipseys # 3 140 -150 ft.#1 80 90 ft.spoon bit ..fish are down deep but bows are crazy lately 35 ft down ..watch this site closely and learn ..1 more month before they head for home... teach tem young and will carry on when I'm gone !!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220825-161909_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20220825-161909_Messenger.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 51
Glasgow, ok. Does 17km/h from the ESE look like decent conditions on Saturday?View attachment 64489
I dont think for that amount of wind from the east will only pull up less than a foot waves as they predicting , I think it will be 2- 3 footers with that wind , it's based on your experience and confidence as well the boat abilities to go out in that , I'm in a deep hull 17.5 ' boat we were out last Friday in 3- 4 footers, it is difficult fishing in that and get tossed around , the prediction that day was way off
I recommend before you go to check as many sites as you can but most importantly check current wave hight on Stanley bouy also pay attention on its history if it's increasing or decline that will give you indication of what to expect by the time you get there
Be safe and good luck

Just got my dads 17ft legend bowrider after he bought a new one. picked up a trolling rod/reel combo and a dipsy. where is the best place for a newbie (on the big lake) to test out my new equipment on some walleye? coming from brantford, I was thinking of launching in the inner bay that way I can bring my perch/bass/pike gear also if trolling doesn't work out. Is it a long ride to the walleye from the inner bay? should I launch somewhere else? my priority is to test out the new (to me) boat and gear on walleye.
I get walleye every year outer bay south east of Bluff bar 1 hour boat ride from Collins launch and always around 1 mile from shore run into pike and perch near the bar and bass at the mouth of inner bay but if your on a mission to get the walleye in a short time or get the freezer full as soon as possible go to Burwell or Glasgow 60ft deep is a long way from shore when the weather gets ugly

Glasgow on a calm weather day. Much shorter run to the 60fow depth. Burwell is a long haul and it really sucks if the wind kicks up. Anyone can catch a limit on Erie at the moment. It’s easy pickins! Don’t go out with that forecast unless you want to learn about 2-3 footers with a really short trough. Not the way to start your career on Erie!

Thanks everyone. Is there another location to boat when Erie wimds are up? Hamilton harbour, Jordan harbour, port Maitland? Maybe lower grand this weekend...

Glasgow on a calm weather day. Much shorter run to the 60fow depth. Burwell is a long haul and it really sucks if the wind kicks up. Anyone can catch a limit on Erie at the moment. It’s easy pickins! Don’t go out with that forecast unless you want to learn about 2-3 footers with a really short trough. Not the way to start your career on Erie!
Glasgow is the way to go imo, haven't left 50' - 55' all season and have buddies getting them shallower yet with the same results. Never lose sight of land and always fishing in 10 minutes max after leaving the launch!!!

@Buckhorn... Some are bias on their ports but any of the ports Glasgow, Stanley, Bruce or Burwell will give you fantastic walleye fishing right now. However LPB would be the place to test out the new to you boat from your Dad seeing that's your main priority. If he gave you the boat outright you are one lucky guy. 👍 Congrats either way. 😁

The inner bay is a much more forgiving place to learn the ropes on a new-to-you boat (less so on an east wind, though). Obviously I don't know your experience and I see it was your dad's boat so use your judgement.

Personally I recommend folks keep winds under 10mph while they are learning and slowly work their way up on smaller water, then work their way up on bigger water. I'm still not comfortable out of Burwell over 10mph and I've been out there a few years now. Erie continues to take better captains than me.

If your goal is to test the boat, then the inner bay.Saturday out of Burwell will be nuts with boats if the weather is good.If you need practice launching don't go to Burwell.I've seen over 175 trucks and trailers at Big Otter alone.It can be crazy launching there to say the least there.

@Buckhorn... Some are bias on their ports but any of the ports Glasgow, Stanley, Bruce or Burwell will give you fantastic walleye fishing right now. However LPB would be the place to test out the new to you boat from your Dad seeing that's your main priority. If he gave you the boat outright you are one lucky guy. 👍 Congrats either way. 😁
Legend initially offered $13k for it as a trade in, then dropped it to $5k. Dad thought i could use the boat more than he needed the 5k. Dad of the year for sure!

If your goal is to test the boat, then the inner bay.Saturday out of Burwell will be nuts with boats if the weather is good.If you need practice launching don't go to Burwell.I've seen over 175 trucks and trailers at Big Otter alone.It can be crazy launching there to say the least there.
i've been boating on inland lakes for 30 yrs, so thats not the issue so much. i do have a healthy respect for the weather and waves on erie though.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks