Nets in 70fow

In the early 90’s got hung up in a net. As I was about to cut the cable the thimble & clip on the cable let go resulting in the loss of the canon ball. It gets kind of serious when your going “down hill” and you watch the stern of a 22’ boat start to drop. The idea of side cutters is essential make sure there readily accessible and remember the rigger cable is stainless so invest in a good set, “cheapies” are NFG!

I recommend Klein side cutters. They will cut the stainless cable quickly with 1 cut and little effort.

MFG_D2000-28.jpg

Another option for you guys.

I have a pair of cable cutters that I have retired from daily duties. Even dull they will cut cable and fish hooks no problem. Only issue I have is they do get rusty sitting in a tackle bag and need a good clean and oil every once and a while.

These ones are on Amazon but I know brofasco/hd supply has them in store. Usually around $20 for the made in China type.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200825-093156_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20200825-093156_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 28
Thats them @hvyhaul! I use them when hanging signs suspended from aircraft cable. After a few years of use they start to cause the cable to frey. I'm sure they could be sharpened but I just stick the old pair in the shed, tackle bag, truck etc and grab a new pair. Its funny how often they come in handy.

I got tangled in a net that had one end adrift a few years ago in lake Huron. It was a nice day thankfully....but cold, beginning of may!

That looks close to shore. Inside of 500m from shore in Huron the MNR will check it out. If it's a ghost net they remove them.

In our case they found the buoy, marker/stake, that has to have the licence holders name and license number. Visible without lifting the gear. They are marked on both ends. In Huron we found out that some of these nets are 3 to 5km long making it impossible to determine which way the nets are set.

Net setting compliances were followed up due to being inside the 500M from shore with markers not clearly representing license ownership.

Learned the other day that people I know fishing out of Stanley got both riggers, and two of their dipsys caught up in a net. :(

They got one cannonball back but had to cut the other and lost everything else. :mad:

There really needs to be a better way to identify nets and their placement.

Maybe it's just more people are reporting what has been happening all along, or, these events are increasing in number and standards need to be improved. 🤔:cautious::(

Learned the other day that people I know fishing out of Stanley got both riggers, and two of their dipsys caught up in a net. :(

They got one cannonball back but had to cut the other and lost everything else. :mad:

There really needs to be a better way to identify nets and their placement.

Maybe it's just more people are reporting what has been happening all along, or, these events are increasing in number and standards need to be improved. 🤔:cautious::(

Everytime I been out of Stanley the pack of boats tend to be in the same general area out in 67fow,
My question is why do the tugs drop the nets in the same damn spot all the boats that are trolling. Couldn’t those tugs go a few miles east or west of that! No they drop right where we fish.
Ignorant if you ask me. They know what they’re doing.

Last time I was out we had to pull everything and move! Almost got one of my dipsys literally pulled it up and it was on the other side of the markers.. just missed it!

Those small white jugs are hard to see look like birds. And the posts think they could be blaze orange or something easy to see

Ive said it over and over..all they need to do is use lobster buoy style markers. Ive vacationed in Maine for 20++ years and these things are visible a mile away. Problem is--the regulations for markers on the Great Lakes are those little black flags..thats it.lobsterbuoy.jpg

Everytime I been out of Stanley the pack of boats tend to be in the same general area out in 67fow,
My question is why do the tugs drop the nets in the same damn spot all the boats that are trolling. Couldn’t those tugs go a few miles east or west of that! No they drop right where we fish.
Ignorant if you ask me. They know what they’re doing.

Last time I was out we had to pull everything and move! Almost got one of my dipsys literally pulled it up and it was on the other side of the markers.. just missed it!

Those small white jugs are hard to see look like birds. And the posts think they could be blaze orange or something easy to see

Maybe they set their nets there because thats where the fish are? Send them a copy of the map where you say they can and can't fish, sure that'll fix it

From what I understand the license they have determines the locations they can and can not fish. Commercial fishers have nets tampered with, cut up, fish taken, etc... So it is in their interest to not be seen. They can't be set to pose a navigational hazard, but nothing really for fishing. Lots of COM fishers purposely think anglers seak out their nets to fish near them believing it will increase their chances. Commercial fishers electronics is better than anglers etc... Lake Erie has 90+ commercial licenses and busier recreational boating and angling than Hurons 10+ licenses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe they set their nets there because thats where the fish are? Send them a copy of the map where you say they can and can't fish, sure that'll fix it
Of course they can whereever they want
Settle down bud. was just a comment

I bet the fish are everywhere in between port Stanley Bruce burwell Glasgow in 68fow
I’m not willing to go for the extra half hour boat ride to figure it out tho

100% the nets need to be marked better.What is the government or ministry waiting for someone to get killed because commercial tugs don't want to mark their nets properly.Dave J showed a good example of what the commercials should be using with the lobster buoy markers.

Did I read on here or having an old timers moment, that the nets all run the same direction ?
It was either N to S or E to W. Can anyone confirm ?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks