Nets in 70fow

Did I read on here or having an old timers moment, that the nets all run the same direction ?
It was either N to S or E to W. Can anyone confirm ?
In Lake Erie they set N to S. Don't know if that's a rule but current goes from W to E so setting N to S makes sense to cover depth

Did I read on here or having an old timers moment, that the nets all run the same direction ?
Nets can run in any direction. Some nets can be long enough that you won't see both markers to determine direction of set.

Walleye nets are suspended they run them N & S.
Perch nets are on bottom E & W but could be any place, they are marked with a stick black flag as well as Walleye nets, but they normally mark Walleye nets with jugs in between the sticks because there suspended from 10' to bottom ???.
The sticks are hard to see unless your lucky to come up near them.
Nets run a long ways sometimes a mile.
There can be multiple nets in the same area.
Don't get confuse with well head markers Black or White PCV pipe, the well head sticks up from the bottom about 6'
You have to keep your eyes open, I've ran up on them myself but been luck not to get caught up on them.
I've talked to the commercial guys at Maitland and Dover. They will tell you where their nets are and what their fishing for, because they don't want their gear damaged.
You have 2 types of commercial fishermen Netters and Trawlers. not the same. Trawlers are for Smelt.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks