Nets in 70fow

chiroalex

So---we saw a net line out there 20 miles in 70 fow on Saturday---on Thursday there was nothing there net wise---managed to pull up quick and avoid the net---went along for about 20 minutes away from the first net in opposite, clear direction---bringing in a fish,,looked forward and there's a black net marker pole--closest white jug 200 or more feet away---lost a rigger and all the attachments in the net because we could not respond fast enough even with stopping the boat---as you know, the wind and waves keeps pushing away and your rigger gear becomes an anchor---then bang and it's all gone----I did not see the coming nets and the markers were rather scarce---solution is simple---how be the netters post their location using GPS co-ordinates, on Channel 68 so these nightmares are avoided---it could have been a destructive incident very easily beyond snapping line and busting off rigger holder and losing the rigger---this is necessary common sense---what are the rules for netter markers??can reports of incidents be filed somewhere??come on netters---you know you get your info from the sport fishers so how about posting net locations---safe fishing and may the net you tangle contain only your fish and tackle...please advise if net info is somewhere available---Alex--Waterbaby--Grandpa--DrD--Pilgrim on the Water

Sorry to hear about your gear!
Which port was this?

Lost a good friend to a very similar incident growing up. Exactly the way you presented it. I don’t expect commercial fisherman to post their spots online since us fisherman don’t but man I wish they were mandated to mark them better... I do work in the automotive world and on the highways during construction and man we are hammered to have proper signage and markers visible to traffics etc why can’t they simply have lighted or very bright markers is that much to ask?

these commercial guys are good hard working people just like most of us here... I am sure they would hate to hear that a life or lives have been lost on nets they put out. Sadly they do what is required by law as a bare minimum so unless their governing authority mandates them to do otherwise potential lives will continue to be at risk.

rant over

Herefishyfishy

If you send in a incident report to the MNR thru TIPS or contact the office with a GPS location date and time, they maybe able to locate your gear if it's a Canadian vessel. That equipment will likely be hauled up in the net. We were hung up in a net in Huron in early June. Poor markings more than 1km apart. Regulations are different in Huron than Erie but at least they were able to identify the vessel by their charts and sure enough the equipment was returned. All net markings reviewed and follow up was positive for all involved. In our case it was just tackle. We managed to back the riggers balls out free of the net. I make sure to have a set of side cutters handy now especially for rough water hook ups. Binoculars are great to have as well. If you see one flag pole you may need them to find the other.

Sorry to hear Chiroalex. Posted a similar incident earlier this summer at Port Maitland. We didn't see any markers, looked east and west quite a ways after getting tangled. Posted a screenshot of my phone with google earth chords, reported it to the MNR tips line and OPP. Sucks about gear but thankfully you are still here to te the tale.

We where out of Bruce on Sat. and Sun. and found nets in 67-68 ft. They had black marker poles at each end and plastic jugs every 100 yds or so. Was very easy to see where them. I know its not always the case tho

Got caught in net up in the North channel near Killarney. Lucky it was a calm day and my big Jon had enough torque to lift the net and get free. Not well marked up there . Let the fish tug ( still working the area) know that there was a rapala in their net and to watch for hooks. Never go down rigging with out wire cutters or ice fishing without a compass

Scary...!!!!!!!!
Ive long advocated for great lakes fishery to use marker buoys like the lobster boats in Maine use. You can spot them a mile away. Such an easy solution.
I also keep a wire-cutter attached to each downrigger base. You may only have seconds to respond.

With the amount of boat traffic in fishing areas, it is beyond comprehension why these nets are not marked with florescent orange or florescent chartreuse colored jugs and black flags on the poles! Black jugs or even white ones are a joke as they look like floating birds! Furthermore, with todays technology, the poles could have solar powered flashing lights. Why do we need a death and an inquest to make these changes?

With the amount of boat traffic in fishing areas, it is beyond comprehension why these nets are not marked with florescent orange or florescent chartreuse colored jugs and black flags on the poles! Black jugs or even white ones are a joke as they look like floating birds! Furthermore, with todays technology, the poles could have solar powered flashing lights. Why do we need a death and an inquest to make these changes?
Few years back I was talking to one of the charters.
I have access to empty 20L yellow jugs
Big bright yellow jugs. They tried them
But opted not to continue using them because of the amount of deck space they occupy

It isn't only the net you need to be aware of. Nets have big long ropes attached and sometimes these ropes extend quite a distance submerged from what you can see.

I've been on two different boats that have had a rumble with these things.

20180916_125106.jpg

Both turned out ok, but in one, the rope also hung up on one of the boat's transducers and held the boat hostage while 4 ft waves were crashing into the back spill well.

Until that rope was freed from the transducer any number of those waves could have caused a very different outcome.

Somehow in both, the motors were not involved.

We were on Sunday and almost ran into one just west of Burwell.40’-50’.Could barely make out the black marker from a distance.Lucky we were going slow out.They definitely need to be better marked.

Nets around Port Stanley also. If it wasn't for the Javex bottles, I may have suffered a tangle Weavers and others were laying nets on Sunday just west from 64 ft out to 67ft. Why would they do that on a weekend? I agree net positions should be available. I believe in Lake Michigan it is compulsory.

Until the laws are changed for marking the nets maybe a few will improve it , so there were its needs to start , if petition started pushing for improvement and finding a politician that willing than there is hope
As for them working/ setting nets on the weekend
Make hay while its shine , I will not condemn anyone for working hard and putting the extra effort in

It isn't only the net you need to be aware of. Nets have big long ropes attached and sometimes these ropes extend quite a distance submerged from what you can see.

I've been on two different boats that have had a rumble with these things.

View attachment 26287

Both turned out ok, but in one, the rope also hung up on one of the boat's transducers and held the boat hostage while 4 ft waves were crashing into the back spill well.

Until that rope was freed from the transducer any number of those waves could have caused a very different outcome.

Somehow in both, the motors were not involved.
Wow some serious hardware must be involved for a transducer to be able to support so much rope!

I got tangled in a net that had one end adrift a few years ago in lake Huron. It was a nice day thankfully....but cold, beginning of may!

Attachments

• net.jpg
    net.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 141
Wow some serious hardware must be involved for a transducer to be able to support so much rope!

Two separate incidents, that rope is from a completely submerged hazard. There was also a weight and vertical post retrieved. None of it was visible above the waterline.

The submerged rope was noted just as the boat passed over it and entangled the fishing gear in it.

The transducer, different incident was caught after the fishing hardware was removed from the rope which was drifting out to the side of where the net was. Somehow a loop of line passed under the boat and the transducer caught the loop.

The loop was tight coming to and away from the boat in between the two motors.

Once the issue was identified, for a little bit it wasn't obvious why the boat just didn't drift away from the net. (Both motors had been raised out of the water by now) When the rope was identified as the problem, a paddle was used to push the rope deeper into the water and off of the transducer.

Looking back, so many variables could have resulted in a completely different outcome.

None of them would have been better once into the rope.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks