Missing Fishermen Port Burwell

We saw a helicopters just west and over the lighthouse at LP today flying low. I don’t know anything about these things but seems surprising the search area is so large. I would have thought wind and wave data and algorithms would narrow down a search area pretty tight. Certainly hope my brother angler is safe and well when he is found.
Unfortunately He was fishing alone. His last communication was at 3:18 pm yesterday afternoon. If he went overboard while retrieving or more likely setting the boat would most likely be in gear. Considering He just towed the boat down from tillsonburg and rented a dock at Big otter for the remainder of the season, chances are very good the tank was full. In that case the boat could go anywhere running in gear. Math and nature don't factor in much there. But this is just My 2 cents, I truly hope for a miracle now. Odds are fading but all hope is not lost.

We were out this morning as was many others out of Bruce. No sea swirl seen, but the helicopter was searching a pattern USA side that we could see from 60 FOW. A week ago we surfed waves back into Burwell - without a working engine that would terrible bobbing situation. Hope this story ends well.
August is Windy Season.- be smart / be safe.

Unfortunately He was fishing alone. His last communication was at 3:18 pm yesterday afternoon. If he went overboard while retrieving or more likely setting the boat would most likely be in gear. Considering He just towed the boat down from tillsonburg and rented a dock at Big otter for the remainder of the season, chances are very good the tank was full. In that case the boat could go anywhere running in gear. Math and nature don't factor in much there. But this is just My 2 cents, I truly hope for a miracle now. Odds are fading but all hope is not lost.
My apologies, you are absolutely right I had not considered the boat could be under power in my observation. I was just picturing it drifting and thought it should be easy to find. Moving on its own even a trolling speeds puts almost the whole lake in the search zone. Certainly hope this turns out well.

Gives me a sick feeling when I read about this unfortunate circumstance. The Striper is a big water boat and can take alot of tough water but being alone in rough seas is risky business. I am hoping for the best outcome as we all have that fear in the back of our mind when we are out in big water.

Gives me a sick feeling when I read about this unfortunate circumstance. The Striper is a big water boat and can take alot of tough water but being alone in rough seas is risky business. I am hoping for the best outcome as we all have that fear in the back of our mind when we are out in big water.
Unfortunately LakeErie has taken a lot of boats bigger than 21'. We all know she can be merciless. Prayers for the boat and captain for a successful rescue.

We saw a helicopters just west and over the lighthouse at LP today flying low. I don’t know anything about these things but seems surprising the search area is so large. I would have thought wind and wave data and algorithms would narrow down a search area pretty tight. Certainly hope my brother angler is safe and well when he is found.
One of the WW2 documentaries I have likens distance in the Pacific in this way, place the point of a pencil anywhere on the Pacific Ocean, under that small little mark you just made, you could fit the entire American Pacific Fleet of 1941.......you could do the same on any of the Great Lakes. You also have to take into consideration that Lake Erie changes her temper faster than any of the others because she's the shallowest. It doesn't take much to go from glass flat to rolling swells. While Lake Erie isn't the biggest of the Great Lakes, there's still a lot of water and a lot of shoreline to search. Hopefully this ends well.

We are camping at Port Burwell Provincial park. Search planes and helicopters have been flying over us Last night at the pier around 9 pm two police boats came with 1 opp boat towing the other . Hope they have better luck today in finding him .

Attachments

• 094EC17D-814E-4721-89C1-CED7F1F3650B.jpeg
    094EC17D-814E-4721-89C1-CED7F1F3650B.jpeg
    341.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 05546B98-FA7E-4380-B285-BA66A47B4725.jpeg
    05546B98-FA7E-4380-B285-BA66A47B4725.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 70C1B3F6-A22F-4278-81D7-2D86745560A5.jpeg
    70C1B3F6-A22F-4278-81D7-2D86745560A5.jpeg
    321.9 KB · Views: 102
  • 0CA8F4CC-5808-4AB8-829E-1BC261201568.jpeg
    0CA8F4CC-5808-4AB8-829E-1BC261201568.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 108
Just read a news report about them finding the boat but the report above seems a little more detailed. Fingers crossed the boater somehow made it to shore somewhere

Last edited:
Just read a news report that the boat was found by the US Coast Guard washed up on the shoreline in Madison Ohio today with nobody on board
The second article I posted above is fairly informative
Says they gathered information on board to assist in the search
I’m guessing the gps unit was marking the boats track

The Hercules was flying over Port Glasgow and Erieau this morning as well.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks